Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Sep 2001, 20:45 (Ref:141356)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
BTCC Karting

Just spent a very enjoyable afternoon at Daytona Kart track in Milton Keynes curtesy of Octagon Motorsport for the BTCC Media Challenge. Assorted members of the press were joined by a selection of BTCC drivers for a 2hr endurance event. The theory was that each team consisted of 3 press and a BTCC driver as team captain but as we couldn't manage three we were given another driver. Team Redshoes Racing for the event consisted of myself, Lorna, Annie Templeton and Rob Collard.

First comes the safety briefing - a short video featuring Dani Behr explaining that you shouldn't drive into other karts and that any such discretion will result in you being called into the pits. Cue Muller and Thompson calling out Phil Bennett's name every time black flags were mentioned.

Then it was out to the track for a 20 min practice/qualifying session during which all drivers must complete a lap. With 4 drivers in such a short space of time it was an out lap, one flying lap and back into the pits for a driver change. We left Rob to go out last and set a qualifying time, good enough for third.

As soon as the qualifying was over it was straight out again for a rolling start. All bar one of the twelve teams opted to send their team captain out for the first stint, and unsurprisingly the first black flag of many was out by the end of the first lap. That honour went to Gareth Howell for 'gaining an advantage through contact', or in other words barging the guy in front out of the way. First full course yellow came on lap two when Phil Bennett (who else!) spun onto the grass and couldn't restart the engine.

Rob Collard put in a 20-25min stint looking like he was still in stock cars, staying mostly inside the top three. All Rob's hard work started to be undone when first Lorna and then myself took turns and we dropped out of the top ten. Despite Annie and Rob's best efforts we couldn't improve on that and eventually finished 11th, 11 laps behind the winners but 4 laps ahead of a group of hacks from The Sun.

Best times were
Rob - 1m 11.71s
Annie - 1m 14.67s
Lorna - 1m 20.38s
me - 1m 21.65s

Third place overall went to the team from the Sunday People, second went to the BTCC team consisting of Gareth Howell, Nick Beaumont, Simon Harrison and Dave Allan, and overall winners were a team from LAT Photography captained by John B&Q. Yes really, John B&Q on the podium !!!! John even suggested that he enter the kart at Silverstone this weekend as it was obviuosly much quicker that the Integra.

It's been suggested offen enough before but we REALLY need to organise a forum karting event this year

Last edited by redshoes; 4 Sep 2001 at 20:47.
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:05 (Ref:141370)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dani Behr... (I need a smilie that dribbles!)

John B&Q winning!!!??? now I am really seeing things...
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:19 (Ref:141387)   #3
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to add my thanks to the oraganisers, for a great afternoon! My team of media types finished a respectable 4th. Our team captain was James Kaye, thanks James, but we want a podium finish next time!! :-)

I managed to take some pictures, and these hopefully will be published tommorow somewhere on the net. I might try to flog some to the organisers. Despite there being top photo agencies racing, no one else seemed to taking pix. I did miss the trophy ceremony as I had prior commitments, and had to leave before the presentations were made!

Kelvin
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:33 (Ref:141397)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There was someone from Sutton taking pics during the day and lots of the podium.
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:40 (Ref:141404)   #5
Kelvin
Veteran

Must have been well hidden, spose he was using a 1,000,000mm lens

kelv.
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:42 (Ref:141405)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well done Kelvin! next time, eh?
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:50 (Ref:141411)   #7
Kelvin
Veteran

Well done John B&Q and his team!!, it was funny tho seeing them trying to get one of their drivers to come in for a driver change!!
No matter how they tried, he just get going round lap after lap after lap!!

Kelvin
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:50 (Ref:141412)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin
1,000,000mm

That would probably cost the same, in pounds!!
Old 4 Sep 2001, 21:54 (Ref:141418)   #9
Kelvin
Veteran

TL maybe not that big, but those guys have some HUGE equipment!!
No Lorna I'm talking cameras!!

Kelvin
Old 4 Sep 2001, 22:03 (Ref:141424)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is this that long kart circuit in Milton keynes, the outdoor one?

Does it have the very fast nearly flat turn-13, followed by a hairpin?

If it was then I have been there, raced against John Clelands race engineer and some mates of D Leslie.

I hate the off camber turn 8 or 9, where u just get terminal understeer.
Old 4 Sep 2001, 22:09 (Ref:141427)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

That's the one. That hairpin is a real ********
Old 4 Sep 2001, 22:37 (Ref:141455)   #12
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: BTCC Karting

Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
Best times were
Rob - 1m 11.71s
Annie - 1m 14.67s
Lorna - 1m 20.38s
me - 1m 21.65s
Gasp! My kart said my best was 1.19!!!

Very enjoyable day. Thank you very much for inviting me to be on your team, Redshoes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin
No Lorna I'm talking cameras!!
Of course, Kelvin...... Whatever else could you have meant?!?!?!?
Old 4 Sep 2001, 22:44 (Ref:141464)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

Opps, sorry. Second stint 1m 19.44s. Are you just trying to make me look bad.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 10:24 (Ref:141634)   #14
John Batchelor
Racer

John Batchelor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to come clean here, one of the guys on our team was VERY fast, and it certainly made for a memorable day....finally top step of a podium! Last time that happened was July 1999!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 10:39 (Ref:141652)   #15
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's any consolation Reds:
Last time I raced there I went off at the off-camber corners, broke 3 ribs and wrote off 1 kart chassis and 1 Honda kart engine... :confused:
So you were doing better than me!
RickP
Old 5 Sep 2001, 16:27 (Ref:141916)   #16
Kelvin
Veteran

First picture now available:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kelvin....ing/bandq1.jpg

I have quite a few shots, but I am awaiting for the organisers to confirm whether or not they wish to purchase some of them from me.
If I publish all them I wont stand much chance of selling them.
If they dont confirm an interest then I'll publish the lot on the net for all to see.

Kelvin
Old 5 Sep 2001, 16:58 (Ref:141931)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
That kart looks like it's seen a hard life.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 17:16 (Ref:141945)   #18
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were robbed!!!

We were 30 seconds away from catching the 3rd placed guy - DENIED!! If James Kaye hadn't have got that black flag we would have had a podium, BOOHOO!

My best laptime was in the mid 1:12s but last year I did a 1:10 so I'm blaming the kart :-)

Big thanks to Kelvin for asking me to race!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 17:18 (Ref:141947)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

Cheers Rick, I wouldn't have expected anything less from you
Actually I'm glad you didn't tell me that before I went.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 17:22 (Ref:141949)   #20
Rache
Racer

C'est moi!

The Ginger Ninja in action.....
Attached Images

Old 5 Sep 2001, 18:08 (Ref:141977)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well, if you do arrange an evening or days racing with ten-tenths then I would certainly be interested. I've driven at the new Daytona tack in North London several times, always finishing in the top three teams (and I'm a mere marshal lol), but have had my share of the naughty boy flag for 'nudging' as they like to call it. Had they used the blue flag it would have told the guy I was coming through!

Was it the same video briefing they have in London, the one with Danny Baer and Shane Richie and the really dodgy camera work?

Ooooooh, only one post to go for my
Old 5 Sep 2001, 18:09 (Ref:141978)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
500th...YAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 19:36 (Ref:142029)   #23
Rache
Racer

Thanks for moving that pic, I posted it in the wrong place, ooops.

I'd love to have a crack round Daytona Park Royal, it's got an underpass and banked corners hasn't it? And I believe there's a legal battle going on cos some geezer is sueing them cos he broke his collarbone or something???

The briefing video is excruciating isn't it, Dani is tolerable (moreso if u r a bloke!) but Shane Ritchie, what a Gonk.......
Old 5 Sep 2001, 19:42 (Ref:142033)   #24
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice helmet Rachel.
I'll see if I can find a picture of mine and email it to you.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 19:52 (Ref:142040)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Rache
The briefing video is excruciating isn't it
Filmed in shakey-cam. Nearly felt too sick to race after watching that.