Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Jul 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2922197)   #1
TugaF1
Rookie

TugaF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone memories: First lap crash at the 1973 British Grand Prix

Original live footage of the first lap crash at the 1973 British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Raymond Baxter commentates as Jody Scheckter loses it coming out of Woodcote and takes half the field with him.

Check the video here
Old 5 Jul 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2922230)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the footage mate, good job.

Such a classic layout!

Selby
Old 5 Jul 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2922235)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I was there! But not where the accident happened. Left wondering why the cars were taking such a long time to come back around again.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2922237)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
How Ameturish was all that? They seemed to line up on the grid all over the place, i'm sure there was a jump start from the 2nd or 3rd row, people standing on the track at Copse corner, yellow flags when there should have been red - great footage though
Old 5 Jul 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2922238)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
How Ameturish was all that? They seemed to line up on the grid all over the place, i'm sure there was a jump start from the 2nd or 3rd row, people standing on the track at Copse corner, yellow flags when there should have been red
If only there had been F1 internet forums back then.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2922240)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
/\ I always wonder about that. And always wish I could hear more first hand accounts of people's opinions at the time.

I posted a long, long time ago asking for first-hand accounts of reactions to accidents at the time. Like, was it obvious that it could have been avoided? Were people crying out for the FIA to look at safety?

Selby
Old 5 Jul 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2922249)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
/\ I always wonder about that. And always wish I could hear more first hand accounts of people's opinions at the time.

I posted a long, long time ago asking for first-hand accounts of reactions to accidents at the time. Like, was it obvious that it could have been avoided? Were people crying out for the FIA to look at safety?

Selby
If they weren't, they bloody well should have been. I think it was quite lucky that Stewart had quite a lead. Had there been 3 or 4 cars all barrelling round the last corner at the same time that could have been a disastor, what with the amount of people already on the circuit.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2922260)   #8
TugaF1
Rookie

Your welcome...came across it on the internet and decided to post it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Thanks for the footage mate, good job.

Such a classic layout!

Selby
Old 5 Jul 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2922272)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It still really upsets me as to why Tilke can't just build a track like this anymore...

There's all the more reason to now we understand safety much more. We understand what run-offs work best, we have a fantastic crash structure, so why not put the cars through their paces in a high speed circuit?? With lots of flow?

Completely new addition to the calendar, and surely a real 'must-see'?

Selby
--
One counter-argument (for my own argument..?!) is fans not being close enough to the action. There's two responses I have to this:
1) Build it somewhere like Bahrain, where there are no fans, anyway.
or
2) If there are fans, perhaps build an Abu Dhabi style grandstand that overlaps the run-off?
Old 5 Jul 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2922288)   #10
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The accident resulted in the change to the 'Woodcote corner'. It then became the 'Woodcote chicane'! At one time, one of the most amasing corner in F1, then a chicane!

It also mucked up Jackie Stewart's race! Still he won the championship in the end.

I admit, I would like to see Silverstone taken back to perhaps a more flowing nature, with more high speed corners. It still has some. The new complex is okay, but hasn't spiced up the racing as much as it could have. It is not like Silverstone hasn't got space for run-offs and access roads!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2922901)   #11
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great footage, thanks for the post.

I remember watching at home, little bear and big bear was a comment about Jody and Denny in Autosport I think. With no internet the comments and criticisms would only be in the letters columns of magazines and even my collection does not go so far back I don't think.

As to the Red flags before Woodcote we must remember that communication by race control with marshalls posts would be by wind up field telephone I think. The first reaction at a post would be to mirror the yellows being waved in their sight line untill told otherwise but these were the things that Stewart campaigned about.

What about those tyres, and still sliding!

Memories memories!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2922910)   #12
TugaF1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Great footage, thanks for the post.

I remember watching at home, little bear and big bear was a comment about Jody and Denny in Autosport I think. With no internet the comments and criticisms would only be in the letters columns of magazines and even my collection does not go so far back I don't think.

As to the Red flags before Woodcote we must remember that communication by race control with marshalls posts would be by wind up field telephone I think. The first reaction at a post would be to mirror the yellows being waved in their sight line untill told otherwise but these were the things that Stewart campaigned about.

What about those tyres, and still sliding!

Memories memories!
Your welcome. I have been searching for this kind of videos all over the web and posting them on autoviva.com.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2922923)   #13
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
How Ameturish was all that? They seemed to line up on the grid all over the place, i'm sure there was a jump start from the 2nd or 3rd row, people standing on the track at Copse corner, yellow flags when there should have been red - great footage though
Different times. No fancy electronics to see if anyone jumped the start, just Observers eyes. I seem to remember that this was the first Grand Prix to be red flagged. It was the first GP I marshalled at (at Abbey Curve).

A few photos from the Paddock the evening before the race. As I say different times.