Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Jan 2021, 20:10 (Ref:4031555)   #7826
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
OK maybe I got mixed up. Can someone tell me what the engine rules are then please? Or link me to somewhere as I googled it and tried about 4 pages, lots of regulations stuff, but nothing about engines.

Is the Toyota a V6?
The Toyota is a 3.5l V6 turbo. Glickenhaus is 3.5l V8 turbo.
Engine must be a petrol-fuelled piston engine but layout and size are unlimited as far as I know.

Edit: Engine design is free except for the following restrictions:
• Only Petrol 4 stroke engines are permitted

Last edited by Mike E; 27 Jan 2021 at 20:17.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4031557)   #7827
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
until some years ago the engine layouts allowed in IMSA were turbo 4L, turbo V6, NA V8 up to 5.5L and NA V10 up to 5.2L... don't know if rules changed in the meantime even if I am 100% sure 5.5L is still the max displacement allowed for NA.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 21:44 (Ref:4031570)   #7828
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As power and power curve are regulated I guess actual configuration is less important. Of course there are reliability and packaging considerations. And cost.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 23:21 (Ref:4031580)   #7829
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The Toyota is a 3.5l V6 turbo. Glickenhaus is 3.5l V8 turbo.
Engine must be a petrol-fuelled piston engine but layout and size are unlimited as far as I know.

Edit: Engine design is free except for the following restrictions:
• Only Petrol 4 stroke engines are permitted
Ah ok, my bad. I read some time ago the rules and I must have read it wrong, I mistook "mandatory 4-stroke" for "mandatory 4-cylinder".
Old 28 Jan 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4031640)   #7830
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to double post in quick succession, is there any development allowed or is that largely pointless if everything is going to be BOP'ed?
Old 28 Jan 2021, 18:09 (Ref:4031721)   #7831
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unless I am mistaken, which is very possible, LMH and LMDh cars will be homologated for 5 years. I guess this is the whole package, including powertrain. So in that respect, continued development will not be permitted.
And while engine layout is free, max power is limited to 670bhp and torque curves etc will be managed through BoP.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 10:55 (Ref:4031823)   #7832
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, which is very possible, LMH and LMDh cars will be homologated for 5 years. I guess this is the whole package, including powertrain. So in that respect, continued development will not be permitted.
And while engine layout is free, max power is limited to 670bhp and torque curves etc will be managed through BoP.
Hmm, so then it becomes a matter of which team the ACO wants to win on that particular weekend.

I think allowing teams to develop a small aspect of the car which wouldn't be a large performance factor would be the way I would approach it. This way teams could potentially pour money into developing one minor aspect, but it wouldn't be a thing which teams could gain a large amount of performance no matter how much they developed it. The obvious thing would be the hybrid system, or an aspect of it. Maybe suggest that they fit a OEM spec road going electric motor of a certain size (modified), but it can have unlimited power output.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4031854)   #7833
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hopefully it's not a bop lottery each race but we'll see soon.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 14:01 (Ref:4031856)   #7834
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet it's going to be a pretty predictable stuff. You'll need some accuracy with calculations - and voila - the finishing order even before race starts (of course some incidents are not predictable).
Old 30 Jan 2021, 16:11 (Ref:4032089)   #7835
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I guess if the power output is capped the teams are just going to go for whatever is the most fuel efficient engine design, since there is no point in going for an engine design with loads of power as it will just be capped. I suppose that means nothing naturally aspirated and would have to be turbo charged. With that in mind are most going to go for a V6 turbo? Would anyone go with a straight six or a straight five? I guess a V6 has weight distribution advantages and maybe a V4 is more likely? Was the previous Porsche LMP1 a V4?
Old 30 Jan 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4032120)   #7836
Mike E
Veteran

The only engines announced so far for LMH and LMDh are V6 and V8 turbos. Alpine will be running a naturally aspirated Gibson V8 in their grandfathered LMP1.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 11:14 (Ref:4032759)   #7837
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
I bet it's going to be a pretty predictable stuff. You'll need some accuracy with calculations - and voila - the finishing order even before race starts (of course some incidents are not predictable).
Well, let's just hope not, shall we?
Old 1 Feb 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4032778)   #7838
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess if the power output is capped the teams are just going to go for whatever is the most fuel efficient engine design, since there is no point in going for an engine design with loads of power as it will just be capped. I suppose that means nothing naturally aspirated and would have to be turbo charged. With that in mind are most going to go for a V6 turbo? Would anyone go with a straight six or a straight five? I guess a V6 has weight distribution advantages and maybe a V4 is more likely? Was the previous Porsche LMP1 a V4?
in theory it should work like this, but since lmh and lmdh will be bop classes, lack of fuel efficiency will be compensanted by larger fuel tank and fuel rig.
I don't think we are going to see another V4 soon
Old 2 Feb 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4033061)   #7839
Lasse
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Lasse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
in theory it should work like this, but since lmh and lmdh will be bop classes, lack of fuel efficiency will be compensanted by larger fuel tank and fuel rig.
I don't think we are going to see another V4 soon
But having a fuel efficient car would be preferable? A lighter car would in theory mean less tyre wear and be more nimble?

The question is if anyone is willing to go that far in a BOP class?
Old 2 Feb 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4033070)   #7840
Mike E
Veteran

The regulations specify minimum weight limits for both car (1030kg) and engine (165kg).
Old 2 Feb 2021, 18:32 (Ref:4033076)   #7841
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
But having a fuel efficient car would be preferable? A lighter car would in theory mean less tyre wear and be more nimble?

The question is if anyone is willing to go that far in a BOP class?
petrol is not that heavy, 20lt of extra petrol inside a larger fuel tank is 15kg, just to give an example. To design, develope and produce a high efficient ICE is required an insane amount of know how, time and most of all money... with the risk to throw away everything done like first 2 versions of 919 engine.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 21:32 (Ref:4033118)   #7842
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
The regulations specify minimum weight limits for both car (1030kg) and engine (165kg).
I guess the question is though, how light can the teams make the cars and then just ballast up the car to min weight regulations?
Old 2 Feb 2021, 22:23 (Ref:4033132)   #7843
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
I guess the question is though, how light can the teams make the cars and then just ballast up the car to min weight regulations?
As long the car isn't lighter than 1040kg during technical scrutineering guess nobody would care about how heavy the car is unballasted
oreca 07 because of bop must to be ballasted up to 930kg but it could realistically run lighter than 800kg.
With LMH long about 5m and powered by bigger/heavier ICE, I think that ballast will be critical to get the best possible F/R weight distribution.
More than 10 years ago, peugeot 908HDi due the massive V12 twinturbo, barely could stay in the reg. min. weight of 930kg, infact many times ran overweighted and due the impossibility to add extra ballast, it had almost the 60% of weight on rear.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4033210)   #7844
Lasse
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Lasse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the minimum weights are for the car only right? So if a car is fuel efficent it will be lighter in racetrim (with fuel) than other cars having bigger fuel tanks (which also weigh more, meaning less ballast weight for the optimal weight distribution).

F1 cars are said to be running less fuel than they are allowed, as the weight savings make up more time than the loss of lift and coast. This is for a 1½ hour race. Surely there must be advantages like this when running for 6-24 hours? And yeah, F1 is a totally different race series and they are lighter, but still. Otherwise why are all the drivers skinny if a few extra kgs dont hurt?

As I see it, in a BOP class it is about finding the small "loopholes", the question is how far you wanna take it as in the end you'll properly be BOP'ed back. Or what am I missing?
Old 3 Feb 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4033214)   #7845
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But the minimum weights are for the car only right? So if a car is fuel efficent it will be lighter in racetrim (with fuel) than other cars having bigger fuel tanks (which also weigh more, meaning less ballast weight for the optimal weight distribution).

F1 cars are said to be running less fuel than they are allowed, as the weight savings make up more time than the loss of lift and coast. This is for a 1½ hour race. Surely there must be advantages like this when running for 6-24 hours? And yeah, F1 is a totally different race series and they are lighter, but still. Otherwise why are all the drivers skinny if a few extra kgs dont hurt?

As I see it, in a BOP class it is about finding the small "loopholes", the question is how far you wanna take it as in the end you'll properly be BOP'ed back. Or what am I missing?
Yes there are advantages in doing this in an endurance race, but they are often cancelled out by other things.

Brimming the car gets you longer on a tank of fuel. An extra lap or so per stint will gain you a lot in pit stop sequences. You'll also get extra flexibility regarding pit stops rather than being forced into a set strategy. You'll also save far more under a yellow than you could from lift and coast. So the gains are less obviously.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 13:38 (Ref:4033235)   #7846
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Not to mention that under the LMH/LMDH rules, there's no more lift and coast. Fuel flow meters are now being used as a BOP tool like air restrictors used to be.

Also for weight distribution, most LMP cars prior to the Acura ARX-02 did have weight distribution similar to F1 cars, Indy cars and most mid engine road cars (or the 2017-present Porsche 911 RSR). It was only when running the wider front wheels and tires became appealing that teams pushed for closer to 50/50 weight distribution. Up until that point, it wasn't uncommon for front wheels/tires to be 1-1.5 inches narrower than the rears for WD reasons (though Audi on the R10 ran taller tires to put more weight up front), and even current DPI/LMP2 cars are set up that way.

Last edited by chernaudi; 3 Feb 2021 at 13:43.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4033240)   #7847
Mike E
Veteran

GreenGT to provide powertrain (battery, motor, transmission) for new hydrogen class. Fuel cell stack open to development.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...ogen-cars.html
Old 3 Feb 2021, 14:31 (Ref:4033249)   #7848
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let's see how well the hydrogen class works, it needs to be worth it. Bit limited on innovation, apart from the fuel cell
Old 3 Feb 2021, 15:46 (Ref:4033262)   #7849
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:

the min. weight is the dry weight of the car with no fuel and no driver inside. In ACO/IMSA teams can't use special petrol mixture, so 1lt of petrol is likely about 0.75kg as the one you can find in road gas stations. Difference of weight is not that big between cars with different fuel tanks size, or to be more accurate, it's not this small weight difference that justifies a better/worse performance in a long endurance race.
About drivers weight "bop", on each car is mounted a min. ballast to let each driver "virtually" weight not less than 80kg... explain better... at example, in toyota #7 kobayashi is 68kg, conway 72kg, lopez 75kg. Will be installed a 12kg ballast to have in each situation a min.80kg driver inside.
That's basically one of reasons why porsche used to have big boys in the same car.

F1 is a different matter, cars can load up to 110KG in fuel tank for the race, according to each track forecasted consumes, sometimes are required all of them in start/stop tracks like abu dhabi, in other tracks like monza are required less because cars are in low downforce configuration.
But despite anything, 110KG are not enough to cover the >300km GP distance, so drivers have to lift and coast and use different engine maps to get to the end the race with still some fuel. It's just formula saving.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 15:50 (Ref:4033265)   #7850
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Not to mention that under the LMH/LMDH rules, there's no more lift and coast. Fuel flow meters are now being used as a BOP tool like air restrictors used to be.

Also for weight distribution, most LMP cars prior to the Acura ARX-02 did have weight distribution similar to F1 cars, Indy cars and most mid engine road cars (or the 2017-present Porsche 911 RSR). It was only when running the wider front wheels and tires became appealing that teams pushed for closer to 50/50 weight distribution. Up until that point, it wasn't uncommon for front wheels/tires to be 1-1.5 inches narrower than the rears for WD reasons (though Audi on the R10 ran taller tires to put more weight up front), and even current DPI/LMP2 cars are set up that way.
If I have to be totally honest the 50/50 of 2009 ARX-02 is more a PR myth to me, like 2014 R18 etron which audi claimed the same.