Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Feb 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3028586)   #1
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
The first volume of the history of the 24 hours of Le Mans

I've just been reading in my copy of Christian Moity's 'The Le Mans 24-Hour Race 1949 - 1973' and in the beginning of the book it is mentioned that it is the 2nd volume of the history of the 24 hours of Le Mans.
My question now is: does anybody know the author(s) of volume 1 and the title of the book? A link to a seller would also be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Vincent
Old 20 Feb 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3028589)   #2
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
And maybe there is also a volume 3 or 4? I already own a copy the french book 'Cinquante 24 heures du mans 1923 - 1982' of which I don't think it's volume 3.

Edit: That is the title on the spine. On the front cover it's called 'Les 24 heures du mans 1923 - 1982' and it is also by Moity.

Thx,

Vincent

Last edited by vincegail; 20 Feb 2012 at 22:00. Reason: some extra info added
Old 21 Feb 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3028790)   #3
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I have the three volumes of Quintin Spurring's 'The Official History of the Worlds Greatest Motor Race' 1949-59, 1960-69 and 1970-79. They have ACO approval and seem to be very accurate and well illustrated - obviously written in English
I don't know if further volumes/years are planned? I hope so
Old 21 Feb 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3028957)   #4
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans history

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I've just been reading in my copy of Christian Moity's 'The Le Mans 24-Hour Race 1949 - 1973' and in the beginning of the book it is mentioned that it is the 2nd volume of the history of the 24 hours of Le Mans.
My question now is: does anybody know the author(s) of volume 1 and the title of the book? A link to a seller would also be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Vincent
I suspect that the first volume mentioned is a book by Labry "24 Heures du Mans" which covers the race from 1923-1939 and is in French only. About 500 copies were printed in I think the 1940's. It took me a long time to find one. The price according to condition would be from £200 upwards, I have seen them advertised for in the region of £1000 or so. I can get some more details when I get home if you would like.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3029033)   #5
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Author's full name, title and isbn-nummer (did that exist then already???) would be very helpfull! Although I suspect that this particular book will go on my wishlist and stay there forever, either because of its price and/or it being so rare....

Thank you in advance,

Vincent
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3029356)   #6
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans history

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Author's full name, title and isbn-nummer (did that exist then already???) would be very helpfull! Although I suspect that this particular book will go on my wishlist and stay there forever, either because of its price and/or it being so rare....

Thank you in advance,

Vincent
Vincent,

The book details are:
Les 24 Heures du Mans by Roger Labric (I got the name wrong in a previous message). As you suspect there is no ISBN number as it was published in 1949.
I found one advertised on the web at http://www.experiencelemans.com/cont..._ordinary.html
The second item on that page, which is somewhat overpriced in that condition. Good hunting,
Mike
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3029360)   #7
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Thanks Mike!
Old 27 Feb 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3032045)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh View Post
Vincent,

The book details are:
Les 24 Heures du Mans by Roger Labric (I got the name wrong in a previous message). As you suspect there is no ISBN number as it was published in 1949.
I found one advertised on the web at http://www.experiencelemans.com/cont..._ordinary.html
The second item on that page, which is somewhat overpriced in that condition. Good hunting,
Mike

If anyone would like to buy this for me, I'd be very happy to recieve it.......
Old 20 Aug 2015, 16:25 (Ref:3567265)   #9
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Just won it on eBay! For which was -in my eyes- a reasonable price! (still expensive mind, but not as expensive as I've seen it go for previously)