Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Dec 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3870911)   #851
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Keep in mind, the Continentals that were used in both Prototype and GTD at Daytona and Watkins Glen the last few years were the much harder compound (because of the loads/failures). The difference between those "speedway" Continentals and the Michelins is much larger than the difference between the Continental "sprint" tire and the standard Michelins.

My understanding is Michelin is going to have 2 compounds available (dictated by them/IMSA, not the teams.. they don't get a choice) based on the estimated ambient temps. They have a "hot weather" tire and a "cooler weather" tire.

Talking with some of the GTD drivers the Michelins have a much quicker/steeper drop-off in terms of grip/time but that's to be expected from a normal racing slick. It should have an interesting effect on the strategy/race pace of the GTD and Prototypes. The Continental was very hard/conservative which made for less of a drop off.

-mike
Great feedback on the tyre differences Mike! Thank you!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3870963)   #852
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
The GTD Entry list is ever growing! Precision Performance Motorsports (PPM) announces a full season effort for 2019.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/p...n0vkbcPIkkcm0s
Old 18 Dec 2018, 00:26 (Ref:3870999)   #853
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
The Lamborghini seems to be a popular choice.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 00:59 (Ref:3871004)   #854
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
The Lamborghini seems to be a popular choice.
From what I hear, Lamborghini gives a LOT of factory support to teams that run it's GT3 cars - more than any other manufacturer, according to some sources.

It's one the pricier GT3 cars as well, so I guess it's good that you get something more for the money.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 04:40 (Ref:3871043)   #855
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess this belongs here. Sean Rayhall to retire:

https://racer.com/2018/12/17/rayhall...es-retirement/

Strange to me but sounds like he'd like to try something else. More power to him.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3871066)   #856
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I guess this belongs here. Sean Rayhall to retire:

https://racer.com/2018/12/17/rayhall...es-retirement/

Strange to me but sounds like he'd like to try something else. More power to him.
It was on Endurance-Info too (yesterday)
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/sea...a-sa-carriere/

It seems like the lifestyle and all the stress involved were getting to him, and he decided that was not the way forward for him?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3871127)   #857
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Saw the guy at Rd. Atlanta a few years back sweeping up the Imsa Lites races before the Petit, blindingly fast, plenty of bravery too.

I'll miss him, always thought he had plenty of speed but he never got to show it in one of the front running prototypes - hope he'll to grips with whatever is bothering him, perhaps one day he'll be back.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3871136)   #858
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd hope he comes back around for HSR events, he spanked the field on a rainy Sunday in a 914/6 in the morning enduro a few years back at The Mitty. Even the modern GTs with a few pro drivers had nothing for him and was an insane drive. No idea who he was at the time and only hearing the name Rayhall my first thought was Graham's brother is faster than he is. Maybe he will have the time with his new career to be the occasional hired gun to play in a rich guy's toy on track but it does seem like he's a more laid-back guy and the stress of never landing that factory ride and every off season bringing that search for sponsors just wasn't his thing.

Hopefully he still enjoys the racing and it's just the off track business, but very necessary, of raising money that got to him. Too good and consistent to see him go but not sure I could handle the stress of that life myself no matter how much joy the on-track action would bring.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3871141)   #859
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Saw the guy at Rd. Atlanta a few years back sweeping up the Imsa Lites races before the Petit, blindingly fast, plenty of bravery too.

I'll miss him, always thought he had plenty of speed but he never got to show it in one of the front running prototypes - hope he'll to grips with whatever is bothering him, perhaps one day he'll be back.
He caught my eye in the Lites races too. I wish him luck in his future endeavors, but sounds like he is done with racing.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3871216)   #860
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
https://www.facebook.com/HARTracingt...&theater&ifg=1

HART racing are teasing their 2019 plans....HOPEFULLY its a reboot of their IMSA program, or at the very least an IMSA program in another category.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3871421)   #861
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
From a while ago:

Quote:
***Several European Le Mans Series teams are close to confirming LMP2 entries for January’s Rolex 24 at Daytona. It includes Inter Europol Competition, which recently purchased a Ligier JS P217 Gibson, as well as Panis-Barthez Competition. The new-for-2019 class, which will be spun off from DPi machinery, is set to feature Pro-Am driver enforcement.
from https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/r...ay-notebook-5/

I also vaguely remember Graff expressing an interest.

Edit: bingo! http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-24-hours.html

We'll see.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3871455)   #862
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
PR1 signs Audry and McMurry for their Oreca P2 for the 2019 season:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/p...or-oreca-lmp2/

Those are some quick kids, and the hands on favorite to win the LMP2 title. Mostly because nobody else has confirmed a program......
Old 19 Dec 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3871457)   #863
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Just thinking that it could not be out of the question that the IMSA guys will be paying close attention to how DPI speeds compare to LMP1 non Hybrid (Rebellion, SMP, ByKolles) at Sebring.

If it is close enough they could open up these cars to race against DPI's from 2020 onwards. BoP adjustments I'm sure are needed but maybe not be extensive. I feel that it will be close myself.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3871463)   #864
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
WRT Confirmed for the Rolex 24 in GTD in partnership with Speedstar racing and Audi Canada. Fantastic!!!

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/w...eoGW0LId88las8
Old 19 Dec 2018, 19:54 (Ref:3871488)   #865
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Just thinking that it could not be out of the question that the IMSA guys will be paying close attention to how DPI speeds compare to LMP1 non Hybrid (Rebellion, SMP, ByKolles) at Sebring.

If it is close enough they could open up these cars to race against DPI's from 2020 onwards. BoP adjustments I'm sure are needed but maybe not be extensive. I feel that it will be close myself.
I think the lmp1 cars will still be 4-5 seconds a lap faster in qualifying trim. But you do bring up an interesting point about the series comparing speeds.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3871496)   #866
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this year DPi didn't receive any boost as far I know, still remain in about 930kg x 580-600hp performance window; I expect time improvements mostly because of michelin.
WEC lmp2 have basically same aero, just lack some torque. Dunlop lmp2 tires shown to be as good (if not better) as lmp2 michelin in past.
To make an example if 2018 silverstone lmp2 pole is 1.44.9; I'd expect a comparable "ideal" DPi pole in about high 1.43 - low 1.44.
Still far from rebellion-SMP 1.39.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3871533)   #867
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They slow down the cars purposely at Daytona also, because they seemingly have a 'do not pass 200mph' order. Lmp2 were doing near 330-340kmh at Le Mans. I think it's pretty certain they could go faster but probably stack on the wing at Daytona so as to limit the top speed. I don't know if that would equal faster lap times though.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 03:38 (Ref:3871558)   #868
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
'A shame about the wingage (new word?) as I miss the days pre bus stop. Mid '70s 'Greenwood Vette (rumoured at 240; reliable source at the time stated 220+) followed thereafter by 935s honking right along.
I imagine times would drop as there's only the 5 real turns (T1, Int'l Horseshoe, W. Horseshoe, infield exit and bus stop) vs. 3 long ('haven't been since GA days, are they lifting for the kink?) and 2 short straights .

jimclark
Old 20 Dec 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3871652)   #869
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
IMSA claims they are close to reaching full capacity for full-season entries.

https://racer.com/2018/12/19/imsa-al...ears-capacity/
Old 20 Dec 2018, 16:02 (Ref:3871667)   #870
brentrh
Rookie

United States
Florida
brentrh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rolex 24 2019

Looking for discussion of Rolex and Roar 2019
Old 20 Dec 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3871677)   #871
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
The legend himself, Alex Zanardi, narrates a lap of Daytona whilst showcasing his cockpit setup....amazing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp9gn4EPNTA
Old 20 Dec 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3871681)   #872
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
The legend himself, Alex Zanardi, narrates a lap of Daytona whilst showcasing his cockpit setup....amazing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp9gn4EPNTA
His amazing story continues. Good for BMW and his codrivers for tacking this on.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3871682)   #873
brentrh
Rookie

United States
Florida
brentrh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this forum alive or just a waist of time
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3871683)   #874
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentrh View Post
is this forum alive or just a waist of time
That is up to you. There are typically fewer posts around the holidays, but the Roar is just around the corner.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3871687)   #875
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentrh View Post
Looking for discussion of Rolex and Roar 2019
You know, you could start that discussion by sharing your thoughts and observations.

I am waiting for entry lists and such ... but having been through so many Roars, I am personally not going to have much to say until I see some performance numbers---when we can all start speculating about how much each team is sandbagging.

Seems like some interesting teams might be showing up ... but i haven't done much investigating yet.

What do You think?