Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Sep 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3852633)   #501
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
However I think the point crmalcolm is making is that he may have the sponsor but like messers Hill and Jackson he may find himself without a car.

Tho this is unlikely as I understand Pirtek pay a massive sponsorship in advance
Exactly that. It is unlikely, but not in the realms of impossible.

We have already seen drivers with a significant level of talent and backing without a drive in the BTCC, so why should it be any different for Jordan?

He has already moved his sponsorship to a few teams now, and if BMW ever look to run a pure factory only package (as DB has alluded to in the past), then WSR may not require the backing.

I think it is great that a driver can have such a long-term deal in place, but there are too many factors outside of Pirtek/AJ control to assume blindly that he is guaranteed to be in BTCC for another 3 years.

He's already driven Honda, MG, Ford and BMW under the Pirtek banner - if he finds himself out at WSR then aside from a return to a former marque, then PMR seems to be the only other option.

(Getting beaten by the team Rookie at Silverstone will not have helped his long-term WSR/BMW situation).
Old 25 Sep 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3852645)   #502
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Agree, the official statement is they are in partnership till the end of the 2021 BTCC season, why would you commit to the end of a racing series you are not in.

However I think the point crmalcolm is making is that he may have the sponsor but like messers Hill and Jackson he may find himself without a car.

Tho this is unlikely as I understand Pirtek pay a massive sponsorship in advance
They do, and AJ to the best of my knowledge hasn't broken any contracts, which is why Hill and likely Jackson were sidelined.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3852649)   #503
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
They do, and AJ to the best of my knowledge hasn't broken any contracts, which is why Hill and likely Jackson were sidelined.
Well I'm sure the 888Mg and Motorbase deals were 2 year deals, but there are still plausible reasons he may not be on the grid till 2021 guaranteed.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3852652)   #504
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
They were all amicably ended, at least that's how the stories went.

I think the only certs with AJ are he's a good driver and he'll be in a blue car somewhere!
Old 27 Sep 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3852970)   #505
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Is that definitely a rule? Only thing I am aware of is that they needed to be in production and available retail through dealers in the UK at point of homologation

AMD haven't spent time and money developing and enhancing a btcc car and getting an association with a brand that they need to put in the bin after 1 season
Have AmD become the 'manufacturer’s normal dealer network' for homologation purpose with the MG6?

http://www.btcc.net/2018/09/27/the-r...oad-going-mg6/
Old 27 Sep 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3852972)   #506
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
They were all amicably ended, at least that's how the stories went.

I think the only certs with AJ are he's a good driver and he'll be in a blue car somewhere!
Definitely racing somewhere. The Motorbase partnership ended due to commercial reasons, so it is far from a stretch to imagine the same situation occurring elsewhere.

Turkington has said recently that the involvement of BMW has allowed him to become a full-time driver, and Collard is part of the BMW motorsport programme. Jordan seems to be the spare part at the moment, so the deciding factor could be the level of influence BMW place on the team...
Old 27 Sep 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3852975)   #507
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Definitely racing somewhere. The Motorbase partnership ended due to commercial reasons, so it is far from a stretch to imagine the same situation occurring elsewhere.

Turkington has said recently that the involvement of BMW has allowed him to become a full-time driver, and Collard is part of the BMW motorsport programme. Jordan seems to be the spare part at the moment, so the deciding factor could be the level of influence BMW place on the team...
I am pretty sure the AJ/Pirtek/WSR deal was inked before BMW confirmed their involvement so yes there may now be commercial pressures.
He has also underperformed a little for me, he hasnt really been "on it" probably since early 2014
Old 27 Sep 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3853042)   #508
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More positive news regarding Jake Hill for next year -

https://twitter.com/simonmhill/statu...151202305?s=21

With all due respect I hope he'll end up a bit further grid than AmD.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3853044)   #509
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

I'd respect him a lot more if he just showed a bit of personality himself and didn't have Daddy shouting his mouth as his social media voice,
Old 27 Sep 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3853045)   #510
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:

AmD might be a chunk further forward next year if the new metal (to them) rumours have legs...
Old 27 Sep 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3853048)   #511
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
AmD might be a chunk further forward next year if the new metal (to them) rumours have legs...
Hope you're right!
Old 28 Sep 2018, 05:37 (Ref:3853065)   #512
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Surely not some more vehicles from the BMR shed...
I thought the rumor was they would run those god awful looking MG SUVs
Old 28 Sep 2018, 06:46 (Ref:3853069)   #513
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
I think Kim Jong Un moving to Britain, forming a political party and sweeping to power in a general election landslide is more plausible than the MG SUV. I am however wrong more often than not!
Old 28 Sep 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3853077)   #514
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I am sure we'll see Jake Hill back with AMD next season
Old 29 Sep 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3853271)   #515
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Plato has been selling his talents for car development, but one thing confuses me. "I turned the MG, something that was not very good, into the finest NGTC on the grid" - wasn't he the first to drive it? So at what point prior to his involvement was it not very good?

The article also suggests he hasn't signed for a drive yet.
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...n-unbelievable
Old 29 Sep 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3853272)   #516
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Plato has been selling his talents for car development, but one thing confuses me. "I turned the MG, something that was not very good, into the finest NGTC on the grid" - wasn't he the first to drive it? So at what point prior to his involvement was it not very good?
Think that's just Plato being Plato! Never won a championship so I wouldn't say it was the finest NGTC on the grid either!
Old 29 Sep 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3853273)   #517
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Think that's just Plato being Plato! Never won a championship so I wouldn't say it was the finest NGTC on the grid either!
Well if it was the finest car, that suggests his talents as a driver are the reason it didn't win a championship!

(Same goes for the Seat he says he turned into the best on the grid)
Old 29 Sep 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3853275)   #518
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Well if it was the finest car, that suggests his talents as a driver are the reason it didn't win a championship!

(Same goes for the Seat he says he turned into the best on the grid)
With respect I think That chassis has won more races than any other NGTC spec car so not completely incorrect
Old 29 Sep 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3853277)   #519
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think he was comparing the car he drove with the one his Andy Neate drove.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3853278)   #520
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if anyone picked up on it as it was mentioned in the middle of qualifying coverage but David Addison said rumours were suggesting Andy Jordan will be with a different team next year.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3853292)   #521
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
He got bored of the MG quick enough, Snetterton in his third season he was saying harsh things about it. Wrongly so as it has endured for many years and been decent apart from the BMR shambles of a season.

Tone of article is definitely a sniffing around I'm good me I am. Not a I have a seat I do. Maybe he ought to get his sack of sponsorship cash over to #HARD. He and Colin were both in contention for the championship in 2015 in those CCs, and Mike Bushell has shown there is still potential in that car. A little bit of development work, a decent budget to run it and in the right hands I reckon it will win again...

And TG will, I would think, be one of a limited number of team bosses who would welcome with open arms. Feasible or the thoughts of a diseased mind?
Old 29 Sep 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3853296)   #522
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
Don't know if anyone picked up on it as it was mentioned in the middle of qualifying coverage but David Addison said rumours were suggesting Andy Jordan will be with a different team next year.
Yep, heard that and it seems to fit in with what's been said on here...

Also, it sounds like Eurotech are losing their ICD sponsorship so hopefully they can get something worked out for '19.

Another interesting snippet I picked up was that Rob Collard was actually passed fit to race (I think..!) this weekend, but they gave Ricky the drive.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3853301)   #523
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, heard that and it seems to fit in with what's been said on here...

Also, it sounds like Eurotech are losing their ICD sponsorship so hopefully they can get something worked out for '19.

Another interesting snippet I picked up was that Rob Collard was actually passed fit to race (I think..!) this weekend, but they gave Ricky the drive.
Is Jeff Smith not heavily involved at ICD?
Old 29 Sep 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3853304)   #524
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
I thought he was, but that's what he said on FB live tonight regarding Eurotech's 2019 plans.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3853305)   #525
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
jeff smith is the founder and majority shareholder in ICD