Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Nov 2007, 15:32 (Ref:2069587)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT3 to GT2?

With the new Aston Martin Vantage, Riley C6 and Viper being redied for GT2, and with GT1 up in the air ATM, what do you reckon to the possibilty of more GT3/4 cars being converted to GT2 spec?

Right now Reiter seems to be at a dead end with the GT1 Lamborghini, but the GT3 Gallardo is a pacesetter in it's class, and appears the ideal base for a GT2 challanger.

Manufactuers appear commited to GT2, I'd love to see the Gallardo, XKR and others join the party.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 16:33 (Ref:2069615)   #2
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
With the new Aston Martin Vantage, Riley C6 and Viper being redied for GT2, and with GT1 up in the air ATM, what do you reckon to the possibilty of more GT3/4 cars being converted to GT2 spec?

Right now Reiter seems to be at a dead end with the GT1 Lamborghini, but the GT3 Gallardo is a pacesetter in it's class, and appears the ideal base for a GT2 challanger.

Manufactuers appear commited to GT2, I'd love to see the Gallardo, XKR and others join the party.
With Ferrari, Porsche, Panoz & Spyker already making GT2 the more interesting of the GT classes, the addition of the cars you identify plus the potential of the Ford GT and some others, it could only get more interesting and exciting, indeed! There is at least some movement in that direction by Ford and Viper so far.

DK
Old 17 Nov 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2069617)   #3
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It depends really on who actually wants to start a project now given that the rules are going to be changing in a year or two...
Old 17 Nov 2007, 21:52 (Ref:2069808)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
It depends really on who actually wants to start a project now given that the rules are going to be changing in a year or two...
If the manufactuers have their way, GT2 will remain largely unchanged, there may not even be a replacement GT1 class.

Last edited by JAG; 17 Nov 2007 at 21:57.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 16:42 (Ref:2069621)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

The Aston and Riley C6 aren't GT3/4 cars being converted to GT2 spec, perhaps not what you intended to say, but it certainly reads that way.

The latest rumour has Dan Pastorini testing a Lambo Gallardo for ALMS GT2. This falls under the believe it when it hits the track category, and I don't know if this is a GT3 convert, or a road car modified for racing. Not much info on this other than someone on the Speed Board claiming they'll take pictures of a test happening this weekend. For those who didn't know, Pastorini was behind the apparent Renntech Mercedes that was going to run in the ALMS in 07', but the funding never came together, and the program fell apart.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2069812)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
The latest rumour has Dan Pastorini testing a Lambo Gallardo for ALMS GT2. This falls under the believe it when it hits the track category, and I don't know if this is a GT3 convert, or a road car modified for racing. Not much info on this other than someone on the Speed Board claiming they'll take pictures of a test happening this weekend. For those who didn't know, Pastorini was behind the apparent Renntech Mercedes that was going to run in the ALMS in 07', but the funding never came together, and the program fell apart.
This Gallardo and the Viper are what I'm really aiming at.

We'll have to see how it goes, but hopefully the Viper will show a base GT3 car can make the grade in GT2, which would open the door for the Gallardo and XKR in particular.

Making the leap from GT3 to (current) GT1 is unimaginable, technically and financially, for smaller teams, but GT3 to GT2 isn't such a jump, especially given the pace of GT3 cars.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 23:02 (Ref:2069847)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Making the leap from GT3 to (current) GT1 is unimaginable, technically and financially, for smaller teams, but GT3 to GT2 isn't such a jump, especially given the pace of GT3 cars.
Think it is a weeee bit more then that.

I or any real competant car builder can make a 185-190 mph sports car. But to last a 24 hour race, let alone most of a season is a differnt story.

Personally when I read the GT3 tech rules, I am just not sure about those tech rules for the cars.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 00:39 (Ref:2069877)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL

I or any real competant car builder can make a 185-190 mph sports car. But to last a 24 hour race, let alone most of a season is a differnt story.

Personally when I read the GT3 tech rules, I am just not sure about those tech rules for the cars.
I dont know, there was what 12 GT3 cars in this years Spa 24 hours and 10 were classifed....
Old 18 Nov 2007, 01:02 (Ref:2069893)   #9
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL

There's a difference between you and someone like Reiter (Gallardo, bad example, probably the least reliable GT3 ) and lets be honest, I don't think you could make a GT3 race car, let a lone a race survivor or winner. The rules, IMO, are the best sportscar regs around at the minute with GT1 about to go tits up.

PS; please stop reminding us all you build/race cars. WE KNOW ALREADY.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 13:15 (Ref:2070148)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A winner in GT3 Maybe ?? . and I dont have $500,000 to purchase a GT2 car. A GT3 tech car would not be difficult to build. and what I dont know, I know the ppl that do know.

There are a few ppl on the board hear who have real expereince, and it seams each one is put down because of their on track or building expericne, now why would that be?
Old 19 Nov 2007, 15:25 (Ref:2070899)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
This Gallardo and the Viper are what I'm really aiming at.

We'll have to see how it goes, but hopefully the Viper will show a base GT3 car can make the grade in GT2, which would open the door for the Gallardo and XKR in particular.
To be honest I think the Viper could be a little misleading. It was by far the fastest GT3 car back in early '06 and has received many penalties for it. I think it in that form it should have been a GT2 car anyway.

I would like to see a Gallardo and XKR in GT2, though. That plus the Ford GT and the Morgan.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2071184)   #12
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
To be honest I think the Viper could be a little misleading. It was by far the fastest GT3 car back in early '06 and has received many penalties for it. I think it in that form it should have been a GT2 car anyway.

I would like to see a Gallardo and XKR in GT2, though. That plus the Ford GT and the Morgan.
Gallardo and XKR will need A LOT of work. The Ford GT from Super GT might be more easily converted too. And yeah, the Morgan wasn't stellar 5 years ago...
Old 19 Nov 2007, 22:08 (Ref:2071227)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Gallardo and XKR will need A LOT of work. The Ford GT from Super GT might be more easily converted too. And yeah, the Morgan wasn't stellar 5 years ago...
The Ford GT in Super GT apparently has a Ford HB V8 3.5 F1 engine and prototype back end!

I really don't see why the Gallardo or XKR will need huge changes, they're all within 2-3 seconds of GT2 pace, and each has been built to a spec, i.e. Porsche GT3 Cup pace, not to their max potential.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:40 (Ref:2072788)   #14
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
The SuperGT car has nothing to do with this. The Gallardo and XKR don't need much work, afterall GT3 cars do have a lot of performance balancing already - a few tweaks and, as JAG says, a little bit of development and they should be fine. I'm not sure how competitive the GT3 Morgan has been, I've not properly followed the series this year, but if someone would ever want to do the work to put it into GT2 then are you actually going to oppose that? Just because it's a bit slower doesn't for a second mean someone shouldn't be allowed to run it if they want to.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 23:58 (Ref:2072110)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
The point is, a GT3 Gallardo would be put on a diet, recieve some engine development, plus GT2 spec suspension/tyres/brakes etc.

They'd then be in the ball park for GT2.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:06 (Ref:2073073)   #16
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I suspect if it WAS that easy Reiter would have done it by now?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 16:29 (Ref:2073608)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
I suspect if it WAS that easy Reiter would have done it by now?
No, because Reiter had their hands full with the GT3 and GT1 cars, plus an uncertain GT2 future.

We already know many of these GT3's are built to a budget/pace, yet in their current restricted form they're only 2-3 seconds off full house GT2 pace.

There's potential to build a GT2 car from an already well developed base GT3 model, it's not like a huge jump from GT4 to GT2, or GT3 to GT1.

Last edited by JAG; 22 Nov 2007 at 16:31.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:05 (Ref:2073071)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I was chatting to the Apex boys at silverstone, as they waited for news of whether they could take part, and one DID say they hadn't built it as quick as they could, because it would just get restricted/weighed down, until it was where they were...