Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Aug 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2516800)   #26
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
And how many race wins have DJR had while Junior's been driving for them? The team's hardly been a tour-de-force... While I'd stop short at calling him a "Superstar Hotshot", he's solid, he rarely bends the car and he collects points... Given the situation the team has been in for the last few years, I would have thought that was just what the doctor ordered.

SSbaby has obviously formed an opinion on Junior based on something other than fact.

For the record, Junior finished second in Qualiying, then grabbed pole in what was a Top 15 Shootout, before winning the race from pole.

Then in the "tight, unpassable reverse grid race" as you've kindly called it, he came from the back finish 12th. In the third race of the weekend he started 5th-ish, finished 3rd and took out the weekend (one of two round wins that year....)

Perhaps it should go quiet over there?
You're right, Chappelli. Jr deserves a multi year deal after those results (2 round wins in 2001). It's a shame nobody except Jr actually remembers... I guess we can be thankful Google can bring up the stats that nobody seems to recall. Yawn!

It's obvious that Jr's departing teammates have managed to win over the years where Jr has struggled - so I don't know how you could justify his lacklustre performances by saying his team was subpar. Let's face it, you believe the two round wins were convincing, though I thought luck had a lot to do with it. And Canberra was a tight track with zero passing opportunities, and a reverse grid format. A standard race format however... and the Q500, well it was a red flagged race after Radisich bunkered the Falcon and Ingall was very unlucky not to win.

That's the difference between the good teams and the average teams. The good teams don't accept mediocrity! What's seen as mediocre for some, is "exactly what the doctor ordered" in your terms. Go figure! Personally, I'm happy Jr is signing a multi year deal with DJR. Very happy!
Old 6 Aug 2009, 23:05 (Ref:2517048)   #27
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please keep taking the medicine...one day it might start working!!
Old 6 Aug 2009, 23:50 (Ref:2517064)   #28
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerhead View Post
Please keep taking the medicine...one day it might start working!!
Jr's had 132+ starts and ... I'm the one who needs the drugs?

Your nick came about because a Bimmer actually ran over your head, i'd say!
Old 7 Aug 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2517067)   #29
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
It's a shame nobody except Jr actually remembers...
What? Hang on... didn't you just say:
Quote:
SSbaby still remembers Jr's only win on the tight, unpassable, reverse grid race in Canberra.
As I said before, you've obviously formed an opinion about Junior and 'remember'things to fit that perspective... when you're corrected you try and justify your opinion in another way.

So let's put Junior's performance into perspective...
Since 2001, when he started driving for his Dad's team he's had 2 round wins and stood on the podium a further 8 times... His team mates combined have had 4 wins and stood on the podium a 9 times.... So in 8 years, the difference between Junior and his combined team mates is 2 wins and a podium..... over 8 years.

That includes 3 seasons with a guy who's considered good enough to be signed to a multi-year deal with HRT (who in theory could hire anyone they want)... Not only has he been signed to HRT, he's good enough to be beating his former champion, team leader... in his first season in a new car...

It also includes a former F1 test driver a former World Touring Car champion (who was considered good enough to sign a contract with the Toll HSV team, even after he'd been out of a car for an extended period of time) and a guy who was poached by 888... who seem to know a thing or two about hiring decent drivers.

Quote:
It's obvious that Jr's departing teammates have managed to win over the years where Jr has struggled - so I don't know how you could justify his lacklustre performances by saying his team was subpar.
Remember that's 3 podiums over 8 years....that's hardly the epic struggle you're trying to portray.

Quote:
Let's face it, you believe the two round wins were convincing, though I thought luck had a lot to do with it. And Canberra was a tight track with zero passing opportunities, and a reverse grid format..
He won the first race of the weekend from pole.... Most people would say he was 'quick'. He then backed that up with two more performances that were good enough to give him the round victory.... (P.S I never said they were convincing... I merely corrected you when you suggested that the only reason he'd won the race was because it was a reverse grid race.... which it was not, he won from Pole position, in a normal grid race.... that would suggest pace rather than 'luck'.)

Quote:
A standard race format however... and the Q500, well it was a red flagged race after Radisich bunkered the Falcon and Ingall was very unlucky not to win...
So despite Johnson being good enough to run at the front for most of the day, it was Radisich bunkering the car that proves Johnson is a bad driver? Riiiiight... I see your logic now.

Quote:
That's the difference between the good teams and the average teams. The good teams don't accept mediocrity!
So what's BJR after? Both of their drivers have been in the game as long as Junior and neither of them has 2 race wins... Geez and here I was thinking Jason Richards and Cam McConville were alright sort of drivers..... Actually, even if you combine their results they're still shy of number of podiums Junior has under his belt.

Quote:
What's seen as mediocre for some, is "exactly what the doctor ordered" in your terms. Go figure!
No, it's seen as an econimic solution when you're team is about to go bankrupt is in my terms "just what the doctor ordered"....

Again, I'm not saying Junior is a superstar... I'm saying that there's a number of drivers who're considered worthy of their seats despite neither having the results, nor the consistancy of Junior.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 00:19 (Ref:2517068)   #30
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
So I remembered Canberra and forgot he partnered up with Radisich for the token win at Q500... way back in 2001! So I was slightly wrong. Pfffft, BIG DEAL! Not even deeks6 could remember... obviously because he didn't need to look up the stats like you did.

You must have too much time on your hands if you go to the extent you did to dissect my post in support of Jr. Like I said, I'm glad he's racing for DJR. Just keep him away from the red branded teams! We don't accept mediocrity!

Btw, if DJR don't renew his contract, I'd say he won't have a V8SC drive.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2517079)   #31
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just keep him away from the red branded teams! We don't accept mediocrity!
And a big hello goes out to BJR and Dumbrell....
Old 7 Aug 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2517082)   #32
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
and the last 10 finishers on any given race weekend
Old 7 Aug 2009, 01:26 (Ref:2517083)   #33
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Which is why T888 is going red...

Dumbrell has been a failure and BJR just didn't get the necessary Ford funding... I guess they were beyondblue.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2517092)   #34
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And all the other Holden also rans???

Like the 7 out of 10 slowest in Q2 at Sandown??
Old 7 Aug 2009, 02:26 (Ref:2517102)   #35
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... BJR just didn't get the necessary Ford funding... I guess they were beyondblue.

IIRC this is their 2nd year of being RED
Old 7 Aug 2009, 02:33 (Ref:2517107)   #36
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So I remembered Canberra and forgot he partnered up with Radisich for the token win at Q500... way back in 2001! So I was slightly wrong. Pfffft, BIG DEAL! .
The point is, you've obviously formed an opinion and are looking for any way you can to justify it.... the sad thing is your creating memories to fit with your opinion.

Quote:
Not even deeks6 could remember... obviously because he didn't need to look up the stats like you did.
So you have an issue with people finding out the correct information before they post?

Quote:
You must have too much time on your hands if you go to the extent you did to dissect my post in support of Jr.
Well, to be honest I enjoy picking on soft targets... I saw an massively ignorant post and thought I'd have a little fun.

Quote:
Btw, if DJR don't renew his contract, I'd say he won't have a V8SC drive.
As I'm not in the business of signing drivers I couldn't say.. I would suggest that if that is the case, he's not alone in that catergory (or even in the minority).

Perhaps that's why Holden have grabbed 888... if the 'Red' mediocre yard stick is Steven Johnson... then 87% of Holden's V8 Supercar efforts are officially less than mediocre.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 02:35 (Ref:2517109)   #37
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
IIRC this is their 2nd year of being RED
You might be right, but now that T888 have joined the red team... who knows what the future holds for some of the lesser teams?

Does anybody know how long before the BJR-Holden contract expires?
Old 7 Aug 2009, 04:24 (Ref:2517137)   #38
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
And what if he is? What difference does that make?
Well he could learn to accept another person's opinion instead of lambasting me for not looking up Jr's website for stats. I mean, c'mon, I couldn't remember Jr teaming up with Radisich for the Q500 in 2001... so should I be publicly stoned for it? Chappelli seems to think it's worth continuing this argument based on my statistical error?

It still doesn't change my opinion of Jr no matter what. He is lucky his dad still has a big say in the DJR camp. No wins since since 2001 for Jr and they're talking up a multiyear deal... he can thank his lucky stars.

Let me guess (without even looking up the stats) even McConville and Jason Richards have had better results since 2001.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2517161)   #39
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rrrrrrroooowwww...pffft pffft

Whoa, between the fur and nails flying in this thread and the finger pointing and love triangles in the thread GTR closed, for a second there I thought I had stumbled onto a forum for New Idea...
Old 7 Aug 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2517167)   #40
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
Whoa, between the fur and nails flying in this thread and the finger pointing and love triangles in the thread GTR closed, for a second there I thought I had stumbled onto a forum for New Idea...
I am still waiting for Chappelli to get the stats for Cameron McConville and Jase Richards

I reckon Stevie J will still be in front
Old 7 Aug 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2517169)   #41
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's the difference between the good teams and the average teams. The good teams don't accept mediocrity! What's seen as mediocre for some, is "exactly what the doctor ordered" in your terms. Go figure! Personally, I'm happy Jr is signing a multi year deal with DJR. Very happy!
Qually in the top 4 in both races at Sandown.

Lowndes and Whincup would like to be as mediocre as Steve!
Old 7 Aug 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2517177)   #42
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
cam mc conville has one win at winton in 2004 (he passed Rick on the 2nd last corner) after earlier Ambrose was stranded in the mud after a hit from Bowe

I believe J Richards may have a best result of 3rd in the reverse grid race at Canberra in 2002 (yes coincidently) ok further research he has had two 2nd and two 3rds (including a 2nd at Bathurst) (last year with Murph)

I believe Stevie J also has a podium at Bathurst
Old 7 Aug 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2517186)   #43
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still laugh at the McConville victory at Winton on that wet day. Young Rick had a mighty dummy spit and a bit of a cry, but Cam had the eye on the ball and tasted the victory Champagne.

Lots of people like to bag Junior, but the blokes seems to get the job done and finshes fairly well over the last few years in the championship.

Lots of other guys talk themselves up but seem to crash, fall of the track or DNF.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2517226)   #44
TS-Fitty
Rookie

TS-Fitty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Jr's had 132+ starts and ... I'm the one who needs the drugs?

Your nick came about because a Bimmer actually ran over your head, i'd say!
Forums can be so serious, it's good to have a laugh now and then.
GOOD one SSbaby.

P.S. I like Dick Johnson and DJR. it's just their supporters I can't stand.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2517230)   #45
TS-Fitty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Qually in the top 4 in both races at Sandown.

Lowndes and Whincup would like to be as mediocre as Steve!
I don't think so.
Two qualifying top tens doesn't make you a superstar.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2517244)   #46
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Lots of people like to bag Junior, but the blokes seems to get the job done and finshes fairly well over the last few years in the championship.
Yep, a lot of top ten championship finishes in the bank for a team that hasn't always been that consistent or well funded.

It helps that Courtney is not as top notch as Davison (at least in a supercar, perhaps not so much in the ol' british f3 championship...) and together with 888 chassis that seem to allow even known "racers" to be tear up the track in qualifying, it is making Johnson Jr look quite good indeed.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2517253)   #47
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-Fitty View Post
I don't think so.
Two qualifying top tens doesn't make you a superstar.
True, but they don't hand out Pole Positions (Race 2 in Hamilton) in Cornflakes packets either
Old 7 Aug 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2517327)   #48
TS-Fitty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
True, but they don't hand out Pole Positions (Race 2 in Hamilton) in Cornflakes packets either
I think the drivers that are remembered in the sport will have more than one pole position and one win to their credit, for their driving career.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 05:42 (Ref:2517696)   #49
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Aside from it not being his only pole.. I think his results (although not in the same league as a Lowndes or Whincup) are better than a hell of a lot of driver who get kudos... It's just sad that people seem to believe that because his old man owns a team he's not worthy of his drive....

Certainly I don't here the likes of SSbaby suggesting that McConville or Richards don't deserve their drives and neither of them (and a number of other well regarded drivers) have had the results or consistancy of Jnr.... You don't have to like the guy, but at the very least base your opinion on fact.