Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jan 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2617561)   #576
shaunhollamby
Rookie

United Kingdom
Chelsfield, Kent
shaunhollamby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Can't see if this has been mentioned yet (apologies if it has), are you planning on fielding two cars, or just the one? Or not sure yet lol

Thanks
Hi

Just the one at the moment.

Cheers Shaun.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2617599)   #577
shaunhollamby
Rookie

United Kingdom
Chelsfield, Kent
shaunhollamby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another shot with engine and gearbox removed.

And since I've taken that one the loom and front subframe are out.

http://www.amdessex.com/workshop.blog.cfm

Cheers Shaun.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2617757)   #578
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post
Let's hope the driver of that car gets his drive back in the BTCC!
Who was that ?
Old 22 Jan 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2617776)   #579
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Who was that ?
Steven Kane
Old 22 Jan 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2617778)   #580
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof14 View Post
Steven Kane
Right kristof14...
Old 24 Jan 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2618494)   #581
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Jason Plato complaining he and champion Turkington are not confirmed, which sounds quite incredible considering the championship has respectable crowds and live TV coverage.
How much does it cost to run in BTCC these BMWs and Chevys?
Old 24 Jan 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2618601)   #582
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen various people on here and other places say it costs around £250k to run a car for one season. But that was a couple of years ago, and I'm not sure of course where these people got there info, but it was the same figure consistantly mentioned......
Old 24 Jan 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2618650)   #583
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to get in 1 of the chevys for 1 round last year RML wanted 35-40k! Other teams walso wanted 350-400k for the whole season aswell
Old 24 Jan 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2618656)   #584
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
I have heard double these figures for WTCC, not as much as I thought JP was seeking. Sounds even stranger...
Old 24 Jan 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2618663)   #585
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There's an audio interview with Philip Glew from the Autosport Show where he quotes a ballpark figure of 600K to run one car for a season. Obviously there are a lot of variables involved - what make of car you are running, how often you rebuild the engine, how many mechanics you have, what hospitality you want, etc.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2618684)   #586
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And that's £600k Redshoes? Yikes! Who pays repairs?
Old 24 Jan 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2618685)   #587
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ya Turkington's future in the BTCC is looking doubtful [see link here]. It will be a real pity if the championship's missing its title holder through lack of funds. It'll be even worse if Gio and Plato won't be there either. I think 2009 will go down as one of the greatest title fights in the history of the championship... just thrilled I was privileged to be able to see it.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2618692)   #588
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fitting end to an era I guess, as we know 2010 will be a transitional year, rather like 2000 was.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2618697)   #589
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Ya Turkington's future in the BTCC is looking doubtful [see link here].
Yep! pretty much what was said and reported on elsewhere when he was interviewed at the Autosport show last week....
Old 24 Jan 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2618703)   #590
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Ya Turkington's future in the BTCC is looking doubtful [see link here]. It will be a real pity if the championship's missing its title holder through lack of funds. It'll be even worse if Gio and Plato won't be there either. I think 2009 will go down as one of the greatest title fights in the history of the championship... just thrilled I was privileged to be able to see it.
I wouldn't go that far. It's still only January and BTCC news is famously slow. Same happened last year, not many people at all were confirmed at this point. I think we'll have a strong year, just give it time. I wasn't expecting everybody to be signed up in Janaury unlike some people it seems.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2618716)   #591
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. It's still only January and BTCC news is famously slow. Same happened last year, not many people at all were confirmed at this point. I think we'll have a strong year, just give it time. I wasn't expecting everybody to be signed up in Janaury unlike some people it seems.
Last year Gio and Turkington were sewn up with works and pseudo works teams with very big budgets before the season began... I would be very surprised if they can create similar berths for themselves this year.

I've reason to believe that 888 were spending nearly GBP1M/car but I guess a portion of that was development. I would imagine WSR were spending not far off that. Tim Harvey mentioned GBP900K during one of the commentaries last year.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2618721)   #592
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but you get my point. Hardly anybody was confirmed officially this time of year in 2009. Or 2008 for that matter. Or 2007, etc, etc. I find it a bit strange people are hitting the "panic" button already for the BTCC when we arn't even in February yet. Late February I'd be getting concerned if things were the same as they are now, but really, I can't see anything to say we won't have a good year's racing. Besides, it's the BTCC!
Old 24 Jan 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2618737)   #593
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Yeah, 900-1mil is what I thought. It's quite expensive, BTCC are absolutely right to act with the new rules.
It will be interesting to see DTM/JGTC's new rules, how much will be their cost per season.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2618741)   #594
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
Yeah, 900-1mil is what I thought. It's quite expensive, BTCC are absolutely right to act with the new rules.
It will be interesting to see DTM/JGTC's new rules, how much will be their cost per season.
I don't think DTM or SuperGT will become cheaper as BTCC/WTCC.

Tielemans had to pay around €400K for his Wiechers WTCC drive.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2618766)   #595
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are Turkington's WTCC offers for a free drive, or bringing money with him I wonder.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2618778)   #596
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Are Turkington's WTCC offers for a free drive, or bringing money with him I wonder.
I'd imagine he has to bring money to Wiechers. Turkington himself is no pauper though. His family own quite a large construction business in Northern Ireland and while they may have suffered as a result of the property downturn there this past couple of years... I'm sure they did quite well during the boom years. In other words he would be able to get access to a decent warchest if he wanted to pay for a drive.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2618800)   #597
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes but I think he'll feel he is now at the stage in his career where he doesn't need to more or less self-fund his racing. I'd imagine he's more like Plato now, where he hopes to achieve other sponsorship based on who he is and what he's achieved. And I'm sure the likes of Tom Chilton will aim to achieve that sort of position in the future as well.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2618806)   #598
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Yes I agree with Craner Curves. Turkington can rightly think he shouldn't need to bring money for a drive (wasn't he paid under the RAC sponsorship?) but there is Plato as a good example.. If there aren't works teams, or the odd big sponsorship deal like RAC then you will have guys needing to bring money with them.

I always wonder how the likes of Turkington would get on approaching sponsors considering his family do own businesses as Davy pointed out.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2619006)   #599
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Yes I agree with Craner Curves. Turkington can rightly think he shouldn't need to bring money for a drive (wasn't he paid under the RAC sponsorship?) but there is Plato as a good example.. If there aren't works teams, or the odd big sponsorship deal like RAC then you will have guys needing to bring money with them.

I always wonder how the likes of Turkington would get on approaching sponsors considering his family do own businesses as Davy pointed out.
I agree with everything said above. Turkington is world class and ought not have to bring a dowri to get a drive. However it all boils down to economics. If there are well funded teams seeking top class drivers, then they'll be willing to pay them and the driver will not need to concern themselves with the funding arrangements. If that's not the case, then the driver will need to bring funding or he won't be racing in the BTCC, simple as that. If he chooses to sit out the season or migrate to another series or form of racing, he'll need to consider the implications that would have for his career. Plato encountered that situation last year and I imagine he, Turkington and Gio are all facing it this year. Of the three, Turkington's possibly the best heeled of them all.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2619015)   #600
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Martyn Bell this year due to injury - http://www.crash.net/btcc/news/15624..._out_2010.html

Shame, ok he's never been a front runner but he's a nice guy and it's always good to see him around the paddock. Hopefully he'll be fine for 2011.
Closed Thread