Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Aug 2019, 22:44 (Ref:3923682)   #61
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And now the series has rules regarding BOP manipulation as per S365, https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...-manipulation/

Sounds like Penske has been caught using data to drive lap times at Road America to setup the rest of the season. Thought we had this under control with computer based and data driven BOP. Or have the computer guys written code that hides the settings and makes the car look slow. They have added the following “providing false or intentionally misleading information [in radio transmissions] is a breach of the rules and the use of code(s), cipher(s), disguised, misleading, or otherwise secretive language to attempt to influence the BoP process by manipulating the performance through driver management or by any other means is prohibited and may be penalized per Art. 57.” to the rules and originally had a restriction to only English in the radio but thought better of that.

And for those who like timing and scoring it looks like that's about to change too. "Additionally, IMSA will no longer be distributing speed trap data over the course of the weekend and will also be providing reduced timing and scoring data from only three sectors at each track. IMSA utilizes a number of data points, including sector times, as well as its proprietary scrutineering data logger, for BoP adjustments, although the timing and scoring data, provided following each session to all competitors, is believed to also be a method of potential manipulation." To me that sounds like they aren't going to have timing and scoring for the punters either now
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3923688)   #62
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
They'll have the data for fans, just not until at least the Monday following the race based on what I read in the SC365 article.

Maybe IMSA should adopt the ACO's auto BOP system that the WEC uses for races except LM. We don't hear about WEC teams trying to screw with data to get favorable BOP, probably in part because of the automated system. IMO, that seems better than IMSA's relative shoot from the hip/make changes every race method.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 00:11 (Ref:3923689)   #63
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!
Bit farcical, isn't it?

Quote:
A full dataset, including all sector data and speed trap information, will be made available following each event through its normal channels
Eh our live timing was never that detailed anyways, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Remember that DPIs had to be repeatedly cranked back until this season to approx. LMP2 speeds. Even though IMSA added weight to the LMP2s late last season (and I'm assuming this season), that was done with ACO approval. Also, LMP2 initially was the spec that was baseline for DPI performance. However, DPIs were allowed development that base LMP2s weren't, which was a big reason for the pegging back of DPIs the past couple of years until this season.
This doesn't particularly reflect reality as Cadillac is still running 30kg heavier and with less fuel than this time last year, although a bigger restrictor. Lap times are faster this year, but that's mostly the new tires at this point.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 00:14 (Ref:3923690)   #64
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if this will impact the James Muscat timing that Akrapovic uses for theracingline. I don't think that info (mainly live) is the official imsa distribution channel, just an aggregator of various timing feeds. Might lose session speed trap info until after the weekend, but it's the during event stuff I find most valuable.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 16:16 (Ref:3923780)   #65
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I wonder if this will impact the James Muscat timing that Akrapovic uses for theracingline. I don't think that info (mainly live) is the official imsa distribution channel, just an aggregator of various timing feeds. Might lose session speed trap info until after the weekend, but it's the during event stuff I find most valuable.
I'd hate to see IMSA do what the ACO did and cut off James Muscats system. But we've seen stupid moves from big players before, and IMSA isn't beyond making a stupid move.

God I hope not. That system makes and breaks races. Thankfully there's a Chrome extension for WEC, but ELMS is still stuck with a Live Timing system that is designed by someone who doesn't understand Live Timing systems.

I wonder what kind of tech knowledge is required to parse and display these systems.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 21:02 (Ref:3923806)   #66
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well another one bites the dust, Bennett is closing up shop in his side and ending the "Nissan" DPi program with his retiring from IMSA. He may return but I'm guessing if he does it's a GT car and a couple hours at Daytona. Or possibly some old cars and laps in historic racing, can have some fun on a much lower budget.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...ure-confirmed/

But maybe plus one with Racer reporting Mazda is considering customer DPis. It makes sense now after a couple statements from Doonan and others about wanting to be reliable enough to sell them and be successful. It seems they've made a winning car so maybe sales next, stranger things have happened but have to wonder what teams would or could run them.

https://racer.com/2019/08/22/mazda-c...tent=home-hero
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old Yesterday, 15:04 (Ref:3923885)   #67
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well another one bites the dust, Bennett is closing up shop in his side and ending the "Nissan" DPi program with his retiring from IMSA. He may return but I'm guessing if he does it's a GT car and a couple hours at Daytona. Or possibly some old cars and laps in historic racing, can have some fun on a much lower budget.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...ure-confirmed/

But maybe plus one with Racer reporting Mazda is considering customer DPis. It makes sense now after a couple statements from Doonan and others about wanting to be reliable enough to sell them and be successful. It seems they've made a winning car so maybe sales next, stranger things have happened but have to wonder what teams would or could run them.

https://racer.com/2019/08/22/mazda-c...tent=home-hero

Very impressive that Mazda has shown the patience that they have. Both with finally getting a team/car combination that can win. Also with selling the cars with privateers. Generate a lot of goodwill I think by waiting to sell until you get to a point that you know you can give the customer a quality product rather than rush for the $$. We see that too much in other aspects of society today. Especially with movie franchises which are horrible....Star Wars Disney anybody!
Old Today, 02:49 (Ref:3923946)   #68
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Surprisingly we aren't losing the AMG for next season, Riley GTD program continues without Keating. Robinson racing with be running the full season with Riley, with Robinson and Aschenbach running in the car. So not really a full gain but moving Lone Star up to full season entry