Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 18 Feb 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3506211)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unauthorised Access.

I have received a message from Ten Tenths advising me that someone had made five attempts to log-in to my account here, using an incorrect password.

Googling the IP address shows it emanates from Bogota in Colmbia and appears to be a service for 'hiding' one's activity on the net.

I can not understand why anyone would want to log on as me

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas about it? Who, Why?

Cheers,

Bauble
Old 18 Feb 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3506214)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Several people on another forum have reported a similar problem - the IP address theirs came from belongs to "China Mobile Communications". The forum has blocked access to China IPs on their server to address the problem.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 09:26 (Ref:3506563)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We've had a couple of other instances of this. A good reminder to use a strong password and change it periodically. We've blocked this particular source, but no guarantee it won't happen again from elsewhere.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3506570)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
We've had a couple of other instances of this. A good reminder to use a strong password and change it periodically. We've blocked this particular source, but no guarantee it won't happen again from elsewhere.
Thanks for that Garco, any ideas on why someone would want to log on using my (or anyone's) account? Simple enough to get your own account surely?

I will change my password as you suggest, but if anyone is offended by any of my posts in the future, at least I can claim; "Not me Guv".
Cheers,

Fred.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 17:28 (Ref:3506710)   #5
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of all things they could try, why here. Nothing is members only, and (I hope) no one has put anything sensitive beyond a DoB here. And as was already stated, they could just get their own.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 18:59 (Ref:3507142)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its ridiculous but im more worried about someone stealing my tentenths identity, posting garbage (as opposed to my usual garbage), and ruining my reputation here then i am someone stealing my money and ruining my rep at my bank.

the things we choose to care about.

but yeah, good reminder on frequently updating passwords though.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 00:26 (Ref:3507230)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is a lot of this about at the moment, the theory is that someone takes a forum username, tries to brute-force the password and if they get that then they check the profile for the e-mail address and hope the password is the same. Obviously with the e-mail password its an open door to identity theft.

We have taken steps to now count the number of password attempts and if there are more than a certain number within a certain time we ban the IP address from accessing anything on the server.

We have also taken steps to ban entire countries based on IP address lists.

This is in addition to our normal anti-spam protection and other measures we take to try to ensure safety and privacy for our users.

If anyone has any queries feel free to send me a PM.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 07:06 (Ref:3507284)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
There is a lot of this about at the moment, the theory is that someone takes a forum username, tries to brute-force the password and if they get that then they check the profile for the e-mail address and hope the password is the same. Obviously with the e-mail password its an open door to identity theft.

We have taken steps to now count the number of password attempts and if there are more than a certain number within a certain time we ban the IP address from accessing anything on the server.

We have also taken steps to ban entire countries based on IP address lists.

This is in addition to our normal anti-spam protection and other measures we take to try to ensure safety and privacy for our users.

If anyone has any queries feel free to send me a PM.
Many thanks for your reply, it seems to answer mine and other's concerns, and it is good to know that we are in safe hands.

Well done.

Kind regards,

Fred.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3507307)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Many thanks for your reply, it seems to answer mine and other's concerns, and it is good to know that we are in safe hands.
Website infrastructure and security is part of my "day job"
Old 21 Sep 2015, 01:13 (Ref:3575576)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Microsoft security essentials keeps having a problem and red flagging:

ns.similarlyul.xyz

hosted by tentenths

Could somebody please have a look at this.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 06:23 (Ref:3575611)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Microsoft security essentials keeps having a problem and red flagging:

ns.similarlyul.xyz

hosted by tentenths

Could somebody please have a look at this.
Not one of ours, can you mail a screenshot of any alert to webmaster@tentenths.com and I'll see what I can see.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 13:13 (Ref:3691750)   #12
Dave M
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Midlands
Dave M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone wishes to use my account to launder money, they're welcome. (For a 10% cut.)