Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Apr 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3629836)   #51
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ignoring the consequence that an SC at that stage of the race may have affected the final outcome for a minute, certainly that mess of stranded cars and oil at the hairpin should've been cleaned up.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 13:36 (Ref:3629859)   #52
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree that it was ugly, but do we not need to leave some responsibility to the drivers and their ability to behave in a safe manner when the conditions call for it? Perhaps some of the comments from qualifying (differing closing speeds) and the second safety car period (cars circulating at race pace under FCY) need to be addressed, with harsh penalties for people not driving to the flag conditions. Maybe an F1 style time delta, or speed limit in yellow sections?

I believe it's always better to avoid a safety car where possible, but there are still areas that could be improved in the process. On the other hand, I watched and Indycar race today where a safety car was deployed for a car brushing the wall so lightly that it suffered no damage at all, which then also put the car that brought the caution out in a potentially advantageous position, as it was the only one that pitted under that yellow! And that's not to speak of the NASCAR nonsense, with safety cars being called for pieces of paper on the track, etc. That's not the direction we want to be heading in.....
Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3629903)   #53
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very pleased with the decision to keep the race green despite the cars at the hairpin and Blanchard burying himself off turn 6. These drivers are all adults, and double waved yellows and a debris flag, plus radio comms, should be more than enough for them to slow down adequately in the areas of danger.

The whole business of running quali lap speed under safety car needs to be looked at, however.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 17:13 (Ref:3629931)   #54
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cars racing at Warp Speed past the pace car at a tight and narrow track like Symmonds Plains is rather frightening.

Spoke to Aaron Noonan in the recent past and what we talked about was the introduction of the F1's Virtual Safety Car.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3629999)   #55
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Spoke to Aaron Noonan in the recent past and what we talked about was the introduction of the F1's Virtual Safety Car.
That would mean the cars wouldn't get stacked up behind the safety car and would ruin the 'spectacle' of the finish at places like Bathurst

Not sure the V8SC gods would be in favour of that
Old 3 Apr 2016, 22:23 (Ref:3630028)   #56
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Cars racing at Warp Speed past the pace car at a tight and narrow track like Symmonds Plains is rather frightening.

We could just suggest to the drivers that they obey the yellow flag... If they do that properly, then no SC is actually needed.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 00:08 (Ref:3630046)   #57
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
We could just suggest to the drivers that they obey the yellow flag... If they do that properly, then no SC is actually needed.
Time to turn a red while they learn what a yellow means

Definitely need something like Code 60 until the SC takes charge
Old 4 Apr 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3630215)   #58
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Definitely need something like Code 60
Used it for the first time this week-end at Silverstone. I've always been sceptical but it works extremely well. A couple of minor issues as we got used to it, but a very effective tool. I'm a convert.

Although I'd still rather it wasn't necessary. Couple it with zero tolerance of yellow flag infringements and a compulsory lecture to the driver as to why they need to obey the flags, maybe in time we could get back to not needing to neutralise the race. But I suspect that horse has long since bolted.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3630219)   #59
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've got to take the drivers point of view into account as well though, imagine looking through a letter box (helmet) with cars all around you, flags that are often a long way away not always the easiest thing in the world to see (or think about)
Old 4 Apr 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3630363)   #60
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Couple it with zero tolerance of yellow flag infringements and a compulsory lecture to the driver as to why they need to obey the flags, maybe in time we could get back to not needing to neutralise the race. But I suspect that horse has long since bolted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
You've got to take the drivers point of view into account as well though, imagine looking through a letter box (helmet) with cars all around you, flags that are often a long way away not always the easiest thing in the world to see (or think about)
Both fair points and often in this situation, it is a matter of perception. For the driver, the requirement is to slow. Drivers have told me that they slowed from a race speed of 200 down to a yellow flag speed of 160 through the designated zone and from the driver's point of view that is a big slow down, the car is fully under control and there's plenty of time to deal with anything. From the point of view of the corner workers though, that 160 probably looks like either no slow down or way too much pace.

That's why code 60 may be a better answer, it takes away the different perceptions, has a quantifiable speed and both the drivers and corner workers know exactly what is expected and what is going to happen as cars go through the yellow flag zone.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 21:38 (Ref:3630368)   #61
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Drivers have told me that they slowed from a race speed of 200 down to a yellow flag speed of 160 through the designated zone and from the driver's point of view that is a big slow down
And more than once have I attended a driver who told me he thought he'd slowed down enough before coming across something he couldn't avoid. Happily, never a marshal. And there will always be a gap between the thing that needs the field bringing under control and the field actually being brought under control, so this doesn't remove from the drivers the responsibility of responding appropriately.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3630445)   #62
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a person who works on track during incident clean ups I'd like to see a zero tolerance for yellow infringements as many Safety Cars could be avoided if drivers obeyed the yellow rules and let us do our jobs safely.

There is a couple of race cars out there with a size 11 dint in their door as a result of passing me at a speed I consider dangerous to mine or my crews health under Safety Car remembering I'm not just responsible for my own safety but that of my crew members as well when we turn out to an incident.

I'd also like to see all licence renewals require an 8 hour trackside stint at the drivers local circuit as happens to all new licence applicants now just to remind them what it's like for us outside the race car.

As for why they didn't deploy the SC at the end of the race at Symmons they will always try to let a race run it's course if there's a lap or two to go and rely on the drivers obeying the Yellows. If one of the drivers was injured and required help they would've sent out the SC.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 09:17 (Ref:3630470)   #63
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It really shows that the safety car, if not always, is at times an entertainment car.

The safety car is sent out for minor on track issues to close up the field and provide more entertainment.

And it is withheld for major incidents when deploying it would reduce the entertainment by finishing the race under the safety car.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3678851)   #64
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
It really shows that the safety car, if not always, is at times an entertainment car.

The safety car is sent out for minor on track issues to close up the field and provide more entertainment.

And it is withheld for major incidents when deploying it would reduce the entertainment by finishing the race under the safety car.
Funny how relevant this is. How was there no saftey car for Todd Kelly's car???

I also feel a lot of the blame for the current fiasco lies squarely at Race Control's feet. They've created a situation where penalties are inconsistent, drivers can just redress themselves, things said in the driver's briefing seem to be forgotten once the lights go out etc

Maybe ex drivers shouldn't be officials...
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3678879)   #65
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Funny how relevant this is. How was there no saftey car for Todd Kelly's car???

I also feel a lot of the blame for the current fiasco lies squarely at Race Control's feet. They've created a situation where penalties are inconsistent, drivers can just redress themselves, things said in the driver's briefing seem to be forgotten once the lights go out etc

Maybe ex drivers shouldn't be officials...

I agree with the above post; but can we please remember that these decisions are made by the Supercars paid employees, and not by the volunteers who man the individual Race Controls around the calendar.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3678891)   #66
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if it was shown on Ch10, but the Fox telecast in one of its semi-ad breaks showed a Marshall jumping onto the track at the kink to retrieve some debris while there was a gap in the cars. When Fox returned to normal viewing no mention was made of it. At least that prevented an entertainment car...
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:01 (Ref:3679028)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Not sure if it was shown on Ch10, but the Fox telecast in one of its semi-ad breaks showed a Marshall jumping onto the track at the kink to retrieve some debris while there was a gap in the cars. When Fox returned to normal viewing no mention was made of it. At least that prevented an entertainment car...
and that was at a time that a SC would have been ideal for entertainment purposes

Which to me suggest that people who use that term "entertainment car" are probably a bit out of touch with the series or crotchety old men
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3679031)   #68
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
and that was at a time that a SC would have been ideal for entertainment purposes

Which to me suggest that people who use that term "entertainment car" are probably a bit out of touch with the series or crotchety old men
The Race Director does his (paid) job, directs the race and is keenly aware of both the sport and entertainment values (surprise surprise.)

I know he's questioned sector marshals over debris at other rounds over the years with a view to bunch/spice up the racing.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3679033)   #69
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
The Race Director does his (paid) job, directs the race and is keenly aware of both the sport and entertainment values (surprise surprise.)

I know he's questioned sector marshals over debris at other rounds over the years with a view to bunch/spice up the racing.
and yet he didnt do it on sunday when it would have been ideal, which may suggest your anecdotal evidence is incorrect or out of date
Old 10 Oct 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3679050)   #70
Compromised
Veteran

So where was the SC for Todd's car mate? Would have ruined the entertainment to finish under SC. Nissan in a dangerous spot close to end, no SC.

Coincidence????
Old 10 Oct 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3679056)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
So where was the SC for Todd's car mate? Would have ruined the entertainment to finish under SC. Nissan in a dangerous spot close to end, no SC.

Coincidence????
oh so when they have a SC its an entertainment car and when they dont its an entertainment car. yeah i get that screwed up reasoning

i call it racing
Old 10 Oct 2016, 23:06 (Ref:3679069)   #72
Compromised
Veteran

Ummm are you dense?

Those that call it the entertainment car do so because of their belief it is used for entertainment rather than saftey.

Not really relevant if it goes out or stays in, more about why eg. Why didn't the SC come out when Kelly was in a dangerous position
Old 10 Oct 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3679071)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Ummm are you dense?

Those that call it the entertainment car do so because of their belief it is used for entertainment rather than saftey.

Not really relevant if it goes out or stays in, more about why eg. Why didn't the SC come out when Kelly was in a dangerous position
Im fully aware of why out of touch people call it an entertainment car

Its because of a belief that it is called out to create entertainment when a race may have got slow or to produce a close finish.

However We did not see that happen on the weekend when there was an ideal opportunity with debris in the chase.

Thus i stand by my comment that people who use that term "entertainment car" are probably a bit out of touch with the series or crotchety old men.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 00:41 (Ref:3679098)   #74
Compromised
Veteran

So the saftey car did not come out for Todd Kelly because...
Old 11 Oct 2016, 00:49 (Ref:3679100)   #75
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So the saftey car did not come out for Todd Kelly because...
Because the race was safely managed under double waved yellows, as MANY classes around the world would do in the last 2 laps of a race.