Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2000, 15:08 (Ref:17705)   #1
jack
Rookie

jack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumours abound that Flavio Briatore is anxious to get 'top' drivers into the team. Not just Villeneuve, but Coulthard. Unlikely to happen, but why would they even contemplate ditching Fisi? He's one of the best guys around...
I reckon that if GF were to get just 1 win, even a lucky one, he would blossom. Look how good he is at the "drivers'" circuits like Monaco, Caada etc. Look how good he is in the wet when everybody else (especially JV) is sitting in the gravel trap, Just ask the guys at Jordan how quick he is. Better still, ask Ralf Schumacher.
Of course, Briatore, being the flash, playboy type thinks that the best drivers are always the most expensive ones. Like ain't that simple Flav...
Old 17 Jun 2000, 18:28 (Ref:17716)   #2
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Completely agree. Fisi is probably the most well rounded driver to come in since MS. Like you said he's quick in the wets and he has a tenacious personality(only on the track) to match. My dream would be to see the young italian in Ferarri.
Old 18 Jun 2000, 02:59 (Ref:17746)   #3
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite concerned about Fisico's future too. And to tell you the truth I don't get it. He has shown that he's a top class driver and benetton would have had A LOT less points in the last couple of season if it hadn't been for him. It's a bit unfair that now that Benetton (or renault) are going for the gold they're not even considering Giancarlo.

It would be a real shame seeing him race in an uncompetitive car next year.....a real shame.
Old 18 Jun 2000, 22:57 (Ref:17873)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After yet another great performance - and another podium place in a car which isn't really up to it - Benetton would be stupid to get rid of Fisi.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 13:31 (Ref:17973)   #5
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that if Briatore is considering letting Fisichella go he'd better think again. I for one feel the young Roman is one of the most underrecognized talents on the grid. He does amazingly well with what he's given. The Benetton is a very "average" car. Yet he is able to pull something more out of it at times. While I actually have never heard that Fisi was in any danger of losing his seat, and in fact believe that Benetton are quite pleased with him. Wurz, on the other hand, does have something to worry about.
Old 23 Jun 2000, 07:02 (Ref:18878)   #6
bondibill
Rookie

bondibill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Benetton with a proper Renault engine, and Fisichella and JV in the drivers seats next season - I'd like to see that!
Old 23 Jun 2000, 17:50 (Ref:19003)   #7
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Benny Boys rule OK.

Who would I like to see . . . hummm JV and Fissi seems a good match. But where will Wurz go?
Old 23 Jun 2000, 19:18 (Ref:19015)   #8
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Nothing personal against the guy he is probably a very nice person, but I expect Wurz going home that is where he should have stayed since the beggining of the season, he is not simply talented enough to be sitting in any of the cars outthere. To be honest I don't understand how he has been around so long. The way I see it is that he's occupaying a spot that could be fill in by another driver that would improve the quality of my favorite show.
Old 24 Jun 2000, 14:12 (Ref:19170)   #9
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz is just to heavy It slows him down. Bennoton need Jacques and Fisi. And Mcalren need to dump Hakkinen.
Old 24 Jun 2000, 14:29 (Ref:19178)   #10
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wurz had a pretty good start in F1 in the 98 season but his performance has decreased a lot in the past 2 seasons. He'll be out and he'll have to look for a job somewhere else. As for Fisico. I don't think that he would want to stay at benetton as JV's #2. And briatore knows that having 2 very talented drivers on the same team isn't always the best for the team.

A shame. I just hope that Fisico gets picked up by a good team.
Old 26 Jun 2000, 00:33 (Ref:19505)   #11
bondibill
Rookie

I'm not sure that Wurz is too heavy, but he is definitely too tall. Benetton have had to make too many compromises in the car in the past to accomodate him, and this season have designed a car for Fisico, so Wurz just can't get physically as confortable as he'd like. A great talent wasted.

On past history, JV doesn't mind a fast team-mate. Maybe in the past Benetton just didn't have the resources to build two fast cars? Or was it just that MS wouldn't let them?
Old 26 Jun 2000, 02:41 (Ref:19522)   #12
Sharky
Veteran

Well. Height is not only a disadvantage because of the dimensions of the car but because with a tall guy like Wurz you're shifting the center of gravity of the car higher....not much....maybe just a few milimeters but nowadays those milimeters could proove to be vital.

Food for thought on the subject. After the crash that Diniz had at the Nurburgring where his anti-roll bar collapsed the FIA advised the teams to strenghthen that anti roll bar but some teams (I remember Jordan and Prost at the moment) didn't do it because that wold mean about 3 extra Kilos at the highest part of the car and therefore make a signifact change in how the car behaved because the center of gravity shifted. So making an analogy (I'm not saying it in a "funny" way although it may sound that way) Wurz's head could be some 5-7 kilos that lie in a high part of the car (as compared to Fisico's head) and therefore the way it behaves changes.
Old 26 Jun 2000, 06:21 (Ref:19535)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As funny as may look, but another team that did not strengthen their roll bar is... yes, you all guessed it, Sauber!
Old 26 Jun 2000, 12:18 (Ref:19578)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
There's a new rumour floating around...

Telefonica are going to Benetton, either next season or in 2002. Telefonica love Gene.

Gene to replace Wurz??? Although this would mean buying him out of a 4 year contract with Minardi. Plus I don't see them giving up a great driver that easily.

Old 26 Jun 2000, 15:21 (Ref:19612)   #15
Sharky
Veteran

Telefonica will be going with benetton. Probably as early as next season. But Benetton will just take the sponsorship. However Gene's drive at Minardi is not at danger with Telefonica's departure because the team is pleased with his performance. That's what I read
Old 27 Jun 2000, 05:51 (Ref:19753)   #16
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
So is that the end of the Minardi/Spanish Super team then?
Old 27 Jun 2000, 11:26 (Ref:19786)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Yes it is.

Flavio, in his endless attempts to see Minardi wiped out, has stolen the Telefonica sponsorship. So, naturally, Minardi said "Hey, two can play that game," and promptly signed up Alonso, the driver Flavio was desparate to get his hands on.

No Spanish superteam, and no major backer for Minardi in 2001/2002, depending on when Telefonica switch teams.

Old 27 Jun 2000, 17:59 (Ref:19859)   #18
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If minardi did that to Flav. then more power to em'.(No pun intended!) I think Minardi will survive one way or another. But thier best chances of long term survival might be to sell it. Something that the team owner(s) would do as I understand it. Excuse me Mr Toyota my name is...
Old 28 Jun 2000, 00:02 (Ref:19901)   #19
bondibill
Rookie

Well, now that Bernie has filled the grid, anyone else that wants to get their hands dirty directly MUST purchase an existing team, and Minardi in their current state must be an attractive alternative.... look at Tyrrell.
Old 28 Jun 2000, 10:17 (Ref:19913)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er. Isn't the chairman of Telefonica under investigation for insider trading? How would that affect sponorship deals? Would Renault want to be associated with that situation? Smaller problems have created bigger changes!!!
Old 28 Jun 2000, 11:28 (Ref:19921)   #21
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Hehe excellent.

I think there must be people somewhere who will come forward and be team sponsor for Minardi next season - Gene has an awful lot of backing from Spanish companies.
Old 28 Jun 2000, 13:15 (Ref:19957)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sorry Minardi fan, old mate, old chum: Gené ain't going to Benetton. Pizzonia is. Telephonica, don't forget, "bouhgt" Mazzacane in order to increase their profile in south America. Pizzonia seems like Wurz' perfect replacement.

BTW: Telephonica are only moving to Benetton because they'll fit in with the new Renault-yellow colour scheme, as I exclusivly revealed last week. UNBELEIVEABLE, n'est-ce que pas?
Old 29 Jun 2000, 05:36 (Ref:20164)   #23
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
I'll give Minardi 20 bucks a week if I can decide what goes on their cars.

Then I will charg companies thousands a week to put them on Minardis and I will split the profits to those who need them, The plan is created