Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 May 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3904613)   #26
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Not sure why the circuit road is blocked off from the entrance to the Porsche centre and the infield too.
There's building work going on opposite the Wing pitlane so you can't drive round the circuit. If you ignore the road closed signs at the Porsche Centre, you can continue round to Club but not any further.

There was an event on Stowe Circuit, which is why most of that section of the infield was closed.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:18 (Ref:3904624)   #27
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There's building work going on opposite the Wing pitlane so you can't drive round the circuit. If you ignore the road closed signs at the Porsche Centre, you can continue round to Club but not any further.

There was an event on Stowe Circuit, which is why most of that section of the infield was closed.
The building work I gather is for a hotel.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3904625)   #28
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Little Summary.

Great race in the Jaguar Classic with the Pearson E Type winning on the final corner in tricky conditions.

Great fight between the M8F Mclaren and the Chevron B26.Great move by Dean in the Mclaren round the outside at Stowe.Brilliant.

As usual formula ford delivered along with the new Dunlop Saloon Cup also being good.Fascinating seeing a GrP A Sierra battling a late 90's V8 Supercar.Lovely.
Agree all that but what an uninspiring place Silverstone, with its prison camp built in an industrial estate ambience, has become. At least for a spectator. The lap is far to long for slower historic cars and the viewing so restricted that one spends most of the time gazing sadly at an empty stretch of unappealing tarmac, roundly cursing the fools who destroyed the place in their doomed chase for some of Ecclestones gold. I spent the day looking at the old bridge before Woodcote where the same cars racing now used to burst out at full speed before hurtling into that fearsome bend, scrabbling and sliding for grip. Gone now forever but still vivid in my memory.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3904627)   #29
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Agree all that but what an uninspiring place Silverstone, with its prison camp built in an industrial estate ambience, has become. At least for a spectator. The lap is far to long for slower historic cars and the viewing so restricted that one spends most of the time gazing sadly at an empty stretch of unappealing tarmac, roundly cursing the fools who destroyed the place in their doomed chase for some of Ecclestones gold. I spent the day looking at the old bridge before Woodcote where the same cars racing now used to burst out at full speed before hurtling into that fearsome bend, scrabbling and sliding for grip. Gone now forever but still vivid in my memory.
Echo that sentiment, Bridge and Abbey used to be really good spectating but the place now is dull, universally grey with acres of gravel run off everywhere and as a spectator you are so far removed from the action. I'm off to Cadwell for the HSCC in a few weeks for some real race entertainment.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3904628)   #30
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Echo that sentiment, Bridge and Abbey used to be really good spectating but the place now is dull, universally grey with acres of gravel run off everywhere and as a spectator you are so far removed from the action. I'm off to Cadwell for the HSCC in a few weeks for some real race entertainment.
Too far for me sadly, living in Salisbury, but Castle Combe and Thruxton still offer the old style experiences to some extent
Old 19 May 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3904630)   #31
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Thank you for the info. We drove to the Loop this morning without issue
Agree with what has been said above, this meeting was better on the old International circuit before they sold the remaining soul of the place for the MotoGP bikes.
It works on this layout for the Classic only because there are big screens to follow the action.

Still it's a nice sunny day atm
Old 19 May 2019, 09:13 (Ref:3904633)   #32
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Too far for me sadly, living in Salisbury, but Castle Combe and Thruxton still offer the old style experiences to some extent
Both great circuits, already have my ticket for Thruxton celebration event coming up The only event I go to nowadays at Sillystone is the Walter Hayes FF1600's when there is free access to the BRDC stand giving good viewing of Brookllands, Luffield and Woodcote. Castle Combe is wonderful for spectating almost anywhere around the circuit as you say, I used to go there regularly when helping out with one of the CC saloon competitors.
Old 19 May 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3904636)   #33
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes my dad has had many a rant to me and the staff there about the problems you've listed and also about not bothering to open up any grandstand. Just a couple would be nice although we did manage to get into a box next to the main commentary at Silverstone when the gate was left open.

We must have been asked yesterday about 3 or 4 times when spectating from the wing wether we were there for the Single Seater Experience.NO.
Old 19 May 2019, 16:14 (Ref:3904679)   #34
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Yes my dad has had many a rant to me and the staff there about the problems you've listed and also about not bothering to open up any grandstand. Just a couple would be nice although we did manage to get into a box next to the main commentary at Silverstone when the gate was left open.

We must have been asked yesterday about 3 or 4 times when spectating from the wing wether we were there for the Single Seater Experience.NO.
The BRDC stand in the paddock was open and does give good views if only over a pretty short stretch of the track.
Old 19 May 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3904683)   #35
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
The BRDC stand in the paddock was open and does give good views if only over a pretty short stretch of the track.
Yes the BRDC stands is alright but in the wet its not great. From where I spent most of the day on the Wing Building you can see from Stowe to Abbey. Plus the commentary is quite loud also so you can keep tabs with what's happening.
Old 19 May 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3904700)   #36
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gutted i couldn't make this one this year, the joys over weekend work overtime . Hopefully there will be plenty good pics n vids appear over next few days. As for the spectating at Silverstone, I was at the Blancpain GT the week before and the place was empty, no atmosphere at all. As Brands said it works for the Classic but everything else just feels lost in there.
Old 19 May 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3904701)   #37
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post

Good man - I was at Silverstone (for the 48th year running ) for CSCC a couple of weeks ago and even the big grids and excellent racing don't make up for what is now a hugely uninspiring circuit .Still , at least I am old enough to recall watching Peterson's Lotus 72 around the original Woodcote.

I will be at both days of HSCC Cadwell as there is little better in any branch of motorsport than watching a big field of FF1600s at Cadwell on a summer day . No prizes for guessing my favourite corner at my favourite circuit
Old 19 May 2019, 22:30 (Ref:3904763)   #38
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Do they still run Interserie cars in Germany? I have a recollection of them running early F3000 cars with Can-Am style full bodies?
Talking of F3000, isnt it about time someone ran a Historic F3000 series - must be lots about and 3 different eras inc the 2 x single make Lolas.
There were a few F3000 with Can-Am bodies mainly late 80s cars. Historic F3000 has two problems;

The cars although cheap to buy ie a roller for 15k but the engines are still hugely expensive. Start up costs you could get a car on the grid for 60k-75k much cheaper than Historic F1 but the running costs would be very similar.

I don't think there's enough interest or racers with the money to run a standalone series. The other issue is they wouldn't be welcome to join any other grid such as Masters F1 as a well driven 89-95 car would wipe the floor with the DFV era F1 cars.
Old 19 May 2019, 22:40 (Ref:3904765)   #39
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Thank you for the info. We drove to the Loop this morning without issue
Agree with what has been said above, this meeting was better on the old International circuit before they sold the remaining soul of the place for the MotoGP bikes.
It works on this layout for the Classic only because there are big screens to follow the action.

Still it's a nice sunny day atm
I got myself in trouble on Saturday driving over the hanger straight bridge then down to Stowe; the grump chap on the way back told me it was a private event down there. He'd cheered up today so I drove down to Stowe then back through the infield to village.

The meeting needs to be held on the National circuit as some of the thin fields combined with slow lap times produced lots of time staring at empty tarmac. However the meeting isn't really aimed at spectators more the competitors who are the one's paying for it. The paddock was friendly with some interesting cars I just feel Historic racing is at a tipping point now when the HSCC are getting thin grids.
Old 20 May 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3904798)   #40
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I will be at both days of HSCC Cadwell as there is little better in any branch of motorsport than watching a big field of FF1600s at Cadwell on a summer day . No prizes for guessing my favourite corner at my favourite circuit
I would hazard a guess at Charlies or the Gooseneck but there are so many good viewing spots, I love watching through Hall Bends. This June will be my forth visit for the Wolds event, absolutely beautiful setting.
Old 20 May 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3904800)   #41
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Err... what's my ten tenths name ....?

Love Hall Bends , but not to watch a race. Brilliant in qualifying, but not too much overtaking. But from my preferred sport I can see moves into Charlies, Mansfield and Mountain , as well as that other corner I like ...
Old 20 May 2019, 07:17 (Ref:3904806)   #42
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Err... what's my ten tenths name ....?
Doh! Must be too early in the morning!
Old 20 May 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3904873)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was there with a few FISCAR cars, yesterday, but actually managed to see a few races for a change. Some pics from Race 8 - GTSCC 90 min enduro:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9323SSJT.jpg   IMG_9328SSJT.jpg   IMG_9356SSJT.jpg  

IMG_9360SSJT.jpg   IMG_9395SSJT.jpg   IMG_9407SSJT.jpg  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 20 May 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3904885)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Was there with a few FISCAR cars, yesterday, but actually managed to see a few races for a change. Some pics from Race 8 - GTSCC 90 min enduro:-
Good to see you there JT, and the lovely lady.
Old 21 May 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3905023)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, Bob; you, too.

A few from Race 10, the new XL Aurora Trophy:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9442SSJT.jpg   IMG_9451SSJT.jpg   IMG_9470SSJT.jpg  

IMG_9472SSJT.jpg   IMG_9480SSJT.jpg   IMG_9485SSJT.jpg  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 May 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3905144)   #46
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few from the Saloon car cup on a damp Saturday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0552.jpg   IMG_0582.jpg   IMG_0670.jpg  

IMG_0675.jpg   IMG_0693.jpg   IMG_0769.jpg  

Old 21 May 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3905150)   #47
brands
Veteran

Damp qually and drying early races on Saturday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0208.jpg   IMG_0260.jpg   IMG_0365.jpg  

IMG_0451.jpg   IMG_0848.jpg   IMG_0888.jpg  

Old 22 May 2019, 01:44 (Ref:3905163)   #48
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great pics Brands..... thanks for sharing. The one of the Commodores is particularly close to my heart!
Old 22 May 2019, 03:06 (Ref:3905166)   #49
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few that turned out fairly well.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0497.jpg   _MG_0511.JPG   _MG_0514.jpg  

_MG_0515.JPG   _MG_0517.jpg   _MG_0553.JPG  

Old 22 May 2019, 03:08 (Ref:3905167)   #50
bauble
Veteran

England
And …..
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0557 (2).JPG   _MG_0569.JPG   _MG_0612.jpg  

_MG_0585.jpg   _MG_0633.jpg   _MG_0586.JPG