Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1551430)   #1
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
under 16 trackday passengers

having only ever done one trackday back in 1994 i'm not very upto date or especially interested in them, but my son would love to be taken out and driven around as a passenger properly on track, but as he's under 16 would it be allowed?

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1551453)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
having only ever done one trackday back in 1994 i'm not very upto date or especially interested in them, but my son would love to be taken out and driven around as a passenger properly on track, but as he's under 16 would it be allowed?
I very much doubt it Graham - it's not even as if you could say he's 17 and very small for his age
Old 18 Mar 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1551685)   #3
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he's not that small any more!

if all else fails maybe a couple of sprint "convoy runs"!

Old 2 Apr 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1568041)   #4
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some Circuits will allow young passengers providing the Driver is a Licensed ARDS Instructor or at least holds an International Race Licence.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1568457)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The other alternative of course is to ask if he can have a ride in one of the Course cars. I see it happen quite regularly and the look of sheer joy on the faces of the little passengers afterwards is lovely.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1568891)   #6
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
The other alternative of course is to ask if he can have a ride in one of the Course cars. I see it happen quite regularly and the look of sheer joy on the faces of the little passengers afterwards is lovely.
I'm quite happy to take youngsters on a course car ride round the circuit when there's time and we're not dealing with an incident or under pressure. There's no risk as we're not (or shouldn't be!) driving that fast and although we're used to it, the 'buzz' they get out of actually being driven round a circuit is really a pleasure to watch.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1569622)   #7
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Recently, a very senior official at a circuit expressed the opinion that under 16 year olds have no business being anywhere near any motorsport.

It does raise the question, how on earth then do you get new blood into the the sport if you sideline them until they're past their formative years? It's real thorny issue, but I have to say that I general, I do lean towards the senior officials point of view. This is a personal opinion, but unless the circumstances are extremely tightly controlled I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks.

The trouble is, there is a massive hole in my argument, ie karting and Moto X which have a large under 16 participation. Would I advocate banning them? erm shucks, you got me erm... I'm not as clever as I would like to think am I?

All I can say is that I'm open to both sides of the argument on this interesting topic.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1569860)   #8
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Recently, a very senior official at a circuit expressed the opinion that under 16 year olds have no business being anywhere near any motorsport.
I find that a very odd statement since, as you've pointed out, there is karting, Tcars, SaxMax etc., specifically for the under 16's. Surely ANYTHING that interests, excites and involves young people in a worthwhile sport (not just motorsport but, to be fair, that's what we're talking about here) is to be encouraged. We need young people in all branches of the sport to provide the competitors, marshals etc. for the future and we should be looking for ways to channel their enthusiasm at an early age, not using some 'rule' to stop them.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1569862)   #9
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under 16 year olds ARE allowed into Track Racing! We do have the Ginetta Junior and the 'T' Car Championships, and, although I am not an expert on Karting, I do believe that there are Championships for young Karters.
Also, the BMMC are actively investigating how we can bring those under 16 into Marshalling, although they are at present, very welcome in duties that do not allow them onto the 'Track' areas.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1593498)   #10
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
hmm good point, i might just have to volenteer to be the course car at SEC goodwood sprint, it would give me an excuse to get the 635 out and blow out the cobwebs, thats half way there but he wants to be driven in a manor that doesn't befit a course car, if i drove in the sort in mannor hes looking for i'd be up for FTD

stephen has been round a non uk ciruit in quite a quick road car, but compaired to my fast road RS2000 he didn't find it very exciting, what he really wants is a ride in the passenger seat of the race beemer ( would have to fit one first though)

Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1594108)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
hmm good point, i might just have to volenteer to be the course car at SEC goodwood sprint, it would give me an excuse to get the 635 out and blow out the cobwebs, thats half way there but he wants to be driven in a manor that doesn't befit a course car, if i drove in the sort in mannor hes looking for i'd be up for FTD

stephen has been round a non uk ciruit in quite a quick road car, but compaired to my fast road RS2000 he didn't find it very exciting, what he really wants is a ride in the passenger seat of the race beemer ( would have to fit one first though)

Sounds to me as though young Stephen is going to have to wait a little while before he is allowed a "proper" passenger ride. Remind me again how old he is.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1594149)   #12
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
12 he will be 13 in december

Old 25 Apr 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1594658)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure there is a lower age limit on trackdays, I've certainly seen some young kids (easily as young as your son if not younger) strapped into cars ready to go out on circuit. As long as they're belted up properly and have a decent lid on I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be allowed out (especially as you're his father - it would be different if someone else was taking him out at 'full welly' - you'd then need to sign bits of paper to say you give your consent etc.)