Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Nov 2003, 20:43 (Ref:780261)   #1
jklein6419
Racer

United States
florida
jklein6419 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Speedway

i saw the documentary super speedway on pay per view the other day, highlighting the 96 season w/ newman hass racin. it brought tears to my eyes to see all the great crowds, drivers, tracks, teams, and racin. its hard to believe that during this great time in cart, people were doing their best to kill the series. do you guys think cart will ever be like this again. i hope. they actually had fans at elkhart and mid ohio which has not been seen for a while
Old 11 Nov 2003, 21:46 (Ref:780300)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't cry jklein69. I am a firm beleiver that CART will be there again. Maybe sooner that many think
Old 12 Nov 2003, 01:38 (Ref:780521)   #3
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its coming back just look at the Foreign races and you'll see that the desire for the best racing in the world is still here. Next year lots more fans are going to come aboard with the new image that OWRS will present.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 01:39 (Ref:780522)   #4
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, doesn't that bring back memories... I was working the T3 entry at Michigan the weekend they were filming. Those cameras were simply HUGE, and the poor guys were trying to steady them against the buffeting of the cars as they passed (the cars swing very high at the entry of 3 to dive down into the short chute between 3 and 4). One of them gave us a piece of the special film they use for the IMAX films -- 70 mm, a frame is practically half the size of your hand.

We enjoyed watching the camera cars too. I forget who they had driving them, but it was guys like Mears. They were supposed to stay out of the pack but.. ahem... it didn't always happen.

A couple of years ago my husband went to see SuperSpeedway at the IMAX theatre at Science World with a co-worker who had free tickets (he lived in the Citygate complex and they get all kinds of free stuff from the Vancouver Indy promoter as compensation for their "inconvenience"). My husband said he had to close his eyes sometimes because he was getting motion sickness. Wonder how it is on a regular TV?

keke
Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:18 (Ref:780617)   #5
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superspeedway is now on DVD. Get it at Amazon.
It is sad to look at that film now and see the number of big dollar sponsors and quality of drivers.
At least I was there for it!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:22 (Ref:780621)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got to see the film at an IMAX and thought it was pretty good. I really liked the restored car Mario drove down the tree covered lane at the end.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 05:08 (Ref:780635)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that on the IMAX in Victoria actually - great documentary! I think everyone else in the theater was just dissapointed that Paul Newman wasn't seen as much as he should have.

CART will be back there, but it'll take time.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes