Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 Jul 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1660898)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Could Ganassi, Andretti-Green, Rahal-Letterman go to Champ Car ??

Are there any chances to see these teams go to Champ Car ? Mario Andretti said earlier this year that Super Ovals are becoming ever more dangerous...
Old 20 Jul 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1660961)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ganassi already has stated that he will stay in the IRL through the 2007 season.

As part of the story on AGR being named as one of the Acura teams in the ALMS, numerous reports have stated that AGR will remain in the IRL, probably with four cars.

Rahal hasn't announced his intentions, but he is focusing on trying to renew Danica's contract, which expires at the end of this season.

Doesn't sound like any of them are leaving for Champ Car to me....

Besides...Mario Andretti's only involvement with AGR is to offer support for Marco and to be there with Michael as he runs the team....he has no "official" role that anyone has identified publicly.

So his opinion on the dangers of oval racing would have very little to do with AGR's decisions as to what series they would participate in...and would have zero to do with Ganassi or Rahal....

Thus, I would say there are "No Chances" for Ganassi and AGR, and "Extremely Slim" for Rahal, since he just bought six new Dallaras about 2 months ago...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Jul 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1660971)   #3
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rahal has a multi-year deal to run the ethanol car in the IRL, probably through at least 2008.

There is no chance you will see any of those teams in OWRS any time before 2008, and probably very little chance after that.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:18 (Ref:1661221)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't say that yawl are wrong, but I wouldn't be so quick to lock it up. Also just because they are in the irl, doesn't stop them from running in champcar. They don't have to do one or the other.

1. Ganassi- From recent appearances and comments, he isn't hostile towards Champcar. There were rumors Target had an interest in some of the champcar events. If Phoenix, LV and San Antonio go forward that will make it more tempting for Target. He did say he'll probably be around for next year in the irl, but doesn't sound positive for after that.

2. AGR- Where does the money come from to run 4 cars? Honda was providing engines, chassis development and cash. Thats gone and the figure quoted for that was $18 million last year(indystar). It's also said Honda is paying driver salaries this year at AGR and that ends this year. If one believes John Barnes, he was quoted as saying AGR was selling primary sponsorships for $1-2 million. Someone help me, but the numbers don't add up to run 4 cars with name drivers.

3. Rahal- Rahal has been parading around the champcar paddock lately. If graham gets that $2 million prize will they abandon it? Graham also doesn't want anything to do with oval racing, so he wont be taking a place on the irl team. Danica is probably gone. I mentioned Argent in another thread, not exactly encouraging talk from those in the company. Rahal lost his honda money too. Can't be good. There have been a lot of little whispers lately rahal will bail on the irl. We'll see.

I think the next 6 months will be interesting.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1661224)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar

Someone help me, but the numbers don't add up to run 4 cars with name drivers.
I'm thinking Patrick will replace Herta/Franchitti = 3 cars for 07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
If graham gets that $2 million prize will they abandon it?
If he can get in to GP2, I think he will.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1661231)   #6
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Graham is going to GP2 next year, that's pretty much a done deal.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1661378)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that if Rahal bails on the IRL, he will go to the ALMS wee he can run a full season on about $3.5 million...can you say customer Porsche RS Spyder???

AGR already is going to campaign one of the Acuras in the ALMS next seasin...that's where I suspect Herta will be, and possibly Franchitti as well.

Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1661768)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
that's pretty much a done deal.
Really. I haven't seen that anywhere. I don't think he's even tested yet.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1661799)   #9
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly I do not believe any of the current IRL teams will bail out at the end of the season. I do believe new upstart teams will join Champ Car However. Let's just wait and see what happens...
Old 22 Jul 2006, 03:49 (Ref:1661927)   #10
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Graham and Bobby have both said that he will be in GP2 next year.

Since pretty much all GP2 drivers are pay drivers, it's a simple issue of Bobby and Graham finding a team they like and writing a big check.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1662614)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember him saying they would look at it, eg. the test that was scheduled last month but I havent read anywhere that he "will" be there?
Old 24 Jul 2006, 05:13 (Ref:1663106)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Ya not so fast.

It looks like the focus is on champcar, not GP2:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Co...3/1698264.html

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29410/

Penske and Ganassi 50/50 to champcar says rahal if no merger. Looks like Rahal is probably going to be in champcar with 1 team(ethanol) in the irl next year.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1663302)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So if no merger, Penske and Ganassi 50/50 to Champ Car... and Rahal again fielding two teams in Champ Car and leaving a car in the irl quite possibly...
Then there is Dario and Bryan leaving for the ALMS next year to the Honda program which is more likely then not..then the rumor that Danica could take a place there at AGR as there will be room as I doubt she'll switch to Champ Car with Rahal...
Old 25 Jul 2006, 03:24 (Ref:1663824)   #14
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
One way or another I think having all the top open-wheel teams in the same series is without a doubt beneficial for the sport. If that can be on a road-course dominated series then all the better.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1664184)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
One way or another I think having all the top open-wheel teams in the same series is without a doubt beneficial for the sport. If that can be on a road-course dominated series then all the better.
Look, I'm no Oval fan, but the reality is simply that a "balanced" schedule is required to appeal to all fans, and entrants. Any single series should reflect the interests of all involved.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 04:24 (Ref:1664651)   #16
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the new package coming to Champ Car, i sense a lot of teams trying to save their spot in that series next year.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1664696)   #17
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
save their spot from what?
Old 26 Jul 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1664887)   #18
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another comment

See comments at the end of THIS article.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1665144)   #19
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
I'm suprised Franchitti is willing to work for ALMS money. Maybe he's hoping to find a paying seat for the Indy 500 as well, in which case the money would be similar.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1665152)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The AGR Acura ALMS program will have plenty of money, and both Herta and Franchitti will be paid what they are worth to drive in it...XM Satellite is the sponsor for AGR's ALMS entry

Old 26 Jul 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1665176)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is like 2002 all over again, only with the boot on the other foot. We could see Rahal focus on ChampCars with only the heavily-sponsored Ethanol car contining (perhaps with Simmons - Rice has always taken an interest in road racng), although I suspect 2 Ganassi and 3 AGR cars will be on the 2007 IRL grid, under the assumption that there is one.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1665190)   #22
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the irl will run in 2007, but at about the 99% series funded level. Also in 2007 they will have time to chissel the Headstone and draw up the Closed sign for 2008. They are on borrowed time until the end.

Old 28 Jul 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1666456)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Chip has vehemently denied he will be in champcar next year, which in chipspeak means he will in fact be in champcar.

I'd rule penske out completely as failing to off champcar was one of his few failures and his ego will never let him return to the fold.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1666770)   #24
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe he said "I have no intention of leaving the IRL". What else would he say? There is moral, jobs that are at stake and four races to complete.
For Rahal's part, it seems it was just an unguarded slip (remember he just learned of Danica's departure).
Chip or Roger Would never admit to it until, the papers were signed, the cars were ordered and the IRL placed on notice; not necessarily in that order.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1666783)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Ganassi has said earlier that he would race through the 2007 IRL Season...

Now he has said it again...

2008 might be another story....Let's see what happens....

Rahal??? Who Knows????

But he's not having a fun year thus far, whether it was Paul Dana's death, a mid-year switch in chassis to get more competitive, generally poor race and qualifying performances with a few exceptions, a few accidents that have damaged cars, all finally topped off by Danica leaving for AGR at the end of the season.