Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 16 Jul 2002, 18:10 (Ref:335165)   #1
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can I get the most from a trip to Snetterton?

Hello there! This is my first post on this forum, but from what I have read previously I know your collective wisdom and experience is just what I need to help me plan a trip.
In light of the ticket scandal and the general state of F1 at present, we decided to forgo our annual boys weekend to Silverstone, and get maximum value from our octagon season tickets by visiting somewhere new. So armed with tent and booze we will be descending on Snetterton for the first time. We plan to arrive on the saturday of the BTCC, camp that night and return home sunday. Problem is, I have no idea how it works there. So, what I think I need to know is the following:

Is there a circuit camp-site?

Will the roads be busy on Sat am?

Where is the best place to watch the touring cars from?

Paddock/pit arrangements?

Any unmissable Snett experience we should sample while we are there? (nearby pubs in case we are the only poeple staying at the circuit etc.)

Any other snippets of advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks folks!
Old 16 Jul 2002, 18:17 (Ref:335169)   #2
Remus
Racer

just thought, should this be on 'TRACKSIDE' forum? If so, sorry!
Old 16 Jul 2002, 20:04 (Ref:335274)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
You're right it probably should have been in Trackside, easily fixed though.

Camp site is on the circuit infield. Facilities are basic (as always) - portaloos, showers in the paddock, water tap or two. You might get charged to camp, £5 I think it is, just ask when you get to the gate and follow the main access road into the circuit and over the bridge.

Traffic should be no problem getting in, getting out Sun evening may be another story.

See http://www.redshoes-racing.com/Track...etterton.shtml for a few details about the place. Outside of Esses - Bomb Hole - Coram is good, so is infield by Russell chicane.

Paddock is on the infield and open to the public.

Unless you are felling rich avoid the on-track pub/cafe. Can't comment on any local pubs outside the circuit but you definately won't be the only ones there. I expect there will be a fairly large 10-tenths contingent if you want to come over and say hello.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 21:09 (Ref:335329)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is a really nice carvery if you turn right out of the circuit called the stag, all the local rqcing people go there and its always full of talent. and there is a really nice indian in attleborough
Old 16 Jul 2002, 21:37 (Ref:335349)   #5
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
there is a really nice carvery if you turn right out of the circuit called the stag, all the local rqcing people go there and its always full of talent.
Er, well if your idea of talent is the Star Wars Canteen then I suppose you're right.. As in most of Norfolk the local hostelries fill with people who have less of a family tree, and more of a family pole.

Personally I don't eat in restaurants with either "Cheesey", "Goujon" or "Platter" on the menu. Therein almost certainly lies ****.

So endeth the sermon.

Stacy "Perfect" Vickers

Last edited by Stacy; 16 Jul 2002 at 21:39.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 21:42 (Ref:335351)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Traffic will be Ok on the Saturday, but there are road works all around Snett as they turn the A11 into a dual carriageway (at last!). Watch out - 40mph limit with speed cameras and stealth cop cars! Traffic on Sunday am will be a nightmare due to these roadworks, the BTCC crowds and even bigger crowd that descends on the Snetterton market next to the circuit entrance each Sunday. A tip for Sunday night..take a map and turn right directly out of the circuit on the country lanes ( towards Harling ) around the back of the circuit back to Thetford. The queues onto the A11 can be horrendous, espacially if it has been good weather and the traffic from the coast at Yarmouth is passing by.
Camping is usually on the infield by Riches.
Best place to watch is Russell chicane on the infield but worth a wander around to look at other spots such as infield of Riches and outside at Bomb Hole and Coram. Spectators cannot stand on the outside of Riches or anywhere near Sear corner. Like all open old airfield tracks, it can be windy and cold but hopefully not at this time of year! You won't find any grandstands at Snett but grass banks to stand on.
Take time to look at the fabulous new memorial to the 8th airforce at the entrance gates. Snett was a USAF bomber base in WWII.
For local pubs best turn right out of circuit onto A11 and after a half mile you come to The Breckland lodge Motel . Next to this is The Stag Inn and 100 yds up the road The White Lodge. Loads of racing folk should be around. These pubs are just on the edge of Attleborough, a small market town.
If you feel adventurous, you are only 18 miles from Norwich.
See you there!!
Old 16 Jul 2002, 21:49 (Ref:335358)   #7
Remus
Racer

Thanks for the info folks. Always a bit of an adventure when you visit a circuit for the first time. Redshoes, it would be good to meet up with some other 'tenthers, especially as we are going to be strangers in a strange land. We've been chatting about it tonight and reckon we'll take a couple of disposible BBQ's and stay on site if there are going to be a few others staying over. Must admit though, the Star Wars canteen sounds kind of interesting...
Will speak nearer the time about how we will meet up with anybody else who is there.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 22:05 (Ref:335375)   #8
Remus
Racer

Mr Kitson,
Just got your info re. the roads and speed cops - many thanks. looks like we may have fun on some of those back roads. See you there.
p.s. Must agree with what you have been saying about the Revival meeting elsewhere on the site - best w/e of the year as far as I'm concerned.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 22:21 (Ref:335386)   #9
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to confirm that camping is indeed £5 for Snetterton, and there will be Showers and Portaloo's there, I rang up the circuit today, and the woman was very helpful. The campsite opens at 5pm on the friday night, and if it's anything like Oulton and Thruxton, you'll need to get there early to get a good place in the campsite.

I'm quite looking forward to Snet - it will be my first time there! Whoo hoo!
Old 16 Jul 2002, 22:37 (Ref:335395)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can assure you Snett is nothing like Oulton!! Its dead flat with just 2 trees I think! Should be OK for getting a good camping spot on the Sat morning. Loads of infield.
Should be interesting to see how big the crowd is as the past few TOCA meets have been night races. First one was great, fantastic weather - 'mini' Le Mans atmosphere - last two were wet and miserable but good racing. Snett usually provides great racing as it has two long straights and some quick corners such as Coram for the brave! Always a good atmosphere there at the bigger meetings but most of the regular clubbies have about 10 spectators!! Worst thing is if you want to watch from the outside at Russell or startline you have to go right around over the circuit bridge again. There was once a footbridge over the start straight but long gone. Lets hope for some 'summer' on the 28th!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 05:55 (Ref:335511)   #11
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 trees - I can only think of one!

There are 2 grandstands - on the start/finish straight but on the outside of the track (they used to let you cross the track but I suppose that has stopped) and on the inside at Russells.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 06:38 (Ref:335530)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Les

There are 2 grandstands - on the start/finish straight but on the outside of the track (they used to let you cross the track but I suppose that has stopped)
Um,

I think they've gone now.

The Angel Inn at Harling does good wholesome food (loads of it) but its usually booked up.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 07:23 (Ref:335552)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now, what was the name of that restaurant at Thetford where the waitress nearly threw us out...?

Duck!!!

Thanks, Invader!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 09:38 (Ref:335633)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If any of you get short of 'supplies', there is a massive Tesco's (open 24hr's)at Thetford which is less than 10 miles south of Snett and located just off the A11.

You never know....may be worth a visit en-route, I can recommend the full english breakfast!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:26 (Ref:335686)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
how do you get the most from a visit to snetterton? a blindfold. it's like silverstone with nothing there, it's a hellhole.

jus' a warning. and it's snot for pictures too...
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:32 (Ref:335689)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Les
There are 2 grandstands - on the start/finish straight but on the outside of the track (they used to let you cross the track but I suppose that has stopped) and on the inside at Russells.
They were both torn down some time back, 3 years ago maybe?

You can still cross the track near the pit lane exit, but only between races
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:44 (Ref:335698)   #17
Remus
Racer

Thanks for the cheerey advice bella... Might keep the camera on stand-by for the Oulton Gold Cup if thats the case.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:46 (Ref:335701)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
still take your camera, because you can get some cracking shots above the fencing at russell chicane, but that's really the only decent place to go...
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:58 (Ref:335711)   #19
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best way to get something out of a trip to Snett.........hmm

Go to spa or somewhere instead, real racetrack, and actually seems closer unles you're starting out from Norwich or Dennis Rushens house.

Facilities, cafe, grass, Sunday Market, two toilet blocks, can't think of much else, but can be good racing though.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 12:35 (Ref:335724)   #20
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marshal at Snetterton and although there isn't much about I like the circuit, they have moved the tyre wall at Corum further back so if something goes off there is shouldn't cause a safety car period. The Esses chichane is a good place to watch from and Russell is always exciting. I am sure you will enjoy your first visit there, just a shame it's not a night race.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 15:05 (Ref:335782)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been going to Snett since the year dot, it's either baking hot and dusty,(I remember once having to use my wiper's once before setting off!) or windy and cold - with nothing inbetween.

There's not an inch of shade, so if it's a baker, beware the Norfolk sun!

Whatever the weather - enjoy!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 15:13 (Ref:335786)   #22
simon m
Rookie

simon m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best viewing points at Snetterton

Hi everyone,
I'm going to Snetterton for the BTCC for the first time so I was wondering where the best viewing points are, if anyone can help me.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 15:45 (Ref:335794)   #23
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Simon, welcome to ten tenths, Snetterton is quite basic as far as facilities go but for viewing a lot of people sit on the bank at Russell, just before the start/finish straight, usually get action there and you can see them come down from Corum which is quite a fast corner. The Esses chichane and Bomb hole also supply plenty to watch. Riches is the first corner so expect spins and dust there. I would arrive in plenty of time, watch some support races and then decide where you want to go, I am sure wherever you chose you will love the BTCC and keep coming back for more. Have fun
Old 17 Jul 2002, 18:45 (Ref:335894)   #24
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't say they were permanent grandstands but there is def. one at Russells.
Mind you last year they stuck it on a slope and it was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat in.
Grandstand seats are for sale again this year so I presume it is back!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 19:54 (Ref:335952)   #25
Sarah W
Rookie

Sarah W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope so because my ticket includes a seat in Russells grandstand!