Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Aug 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3998634)   #826
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I see what U mean, Mate…*
Old 30 Aug 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3999104)   #827
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
That doesn't add up. I did the Abingdon Sprint on a still-used MOD airfield and base a couple of weeks ago, no spectators but approaching 200 drivers and crew present. All worked well under new rules.
Word on the street is that there is a bit of a power struggle between MOD and the devolved "landlords", Landmarc. We may be the victims of machinations far above us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Aug 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3999185)   #828
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
David, ATM french meetings are held with no issues so far. After Albi, Dijon and Charade, Nogaro is coming soon. No probs with the new rules but spannering with a face mask is somewhat hard depending on the outside temperature. We had up to 42 C inside the garage, not very comfy!
Old 2 Sep 2020, 11:23 (Ref:3999611)   #829
Peter J Horsman
Rookie

Peter J Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The quarantine exemption extended to MSUK applicants is only to be given to Int'l licence holders and only applies to attendance at MSUK events, so even with an exemption certificate, you still have to quarantine (except when attending MSUK events), so no going to work, pubs, friends and so on. The exemption certificate issued by the MSUK makes this clear, as does their website now.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 12:11 (Ref:3999619)   #830
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess I havent seen any exemption certificate just the e mails from MRL and Masters. I'm also not sure that the MRL and Masters are MSUK events.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3999652)   #831
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This page possibly? That's what I've been following.

https://www.motorsportuk.org/further...the-community/
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3999663)   #832
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Mike. That appears top apply to those returning from an event in a "red country", who wish to participate in an event within 14 days of their return. Not sure it over rides the Government requirement to quarantine for 14 days.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 05:48 (Ref:3999728)   #833
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Got it. This link makes it clear. If you are not an elite sportsman then the exemption doesn't apply.

https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-cont...tion-Chart.pdf
Old 5 Sep 2020, 09:18 (Ref:4000182)   #834
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC have just cancelled their planned meeting at the Le Mans Bugatti circuit for October, stating uncertainties over the Covid situation as the reason. Planning to reschedule for 2022 - let's hope Covid is more or less a thing of the past by then.

I had considered doing this meeting, but in the end, decided that there were just too many variables in the current circumstances, so reluctantly decided to give it a miss. Seems I made the right decision. Full refunds will be given by CSCC, but I wonder if some will lose out on travel or accommodation plans that they've already made, and possibly paid for?
Old 5 Sep 2020, 11:51 (Ref:4000211)   #835
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very sad news of course and I wonder how this meeting can be held because it mainly sits on foreign competitors.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 07:37 (Ref:4001350)   #836
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone explain how motor racing can be classed as a "organised team sport"? Asking for a friend
Old 10 Sep 2020, 07:54 (Ref:4001352)   #837
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, if you win, it usually means you have an organised team.

I'm just happy that a number of circuits / venues have invested the time, effort and money to make themselves Covid Safe so we can enjoy motorsport - whether taking part or watching.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 18:29 (Ref:4001723)   #838
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This answers my question.

COVID-19 Guidance Update for the Community
Release: 11/09/2020
Hello Robyn,

It is now a little over two months since motorsport restarted in the UK, and what has been achieved by everyone in our community in getting our sport back on track is nothing short of remarkable. I would like to thank everyone – our member clubs, officials, marshals, teams, and competitors – for your dedication and determination.

It is this spirit of collaboration and commitment to embrace the ‘new normal’ that will ensure motorsport can continue and withstand the ever-changing conditions. While many aspects of our everyday lives have been impacted, we are extremely fortunate that motorsport has been able to resume, and is categorised as an organised sport that has already been through restart protocols.

However, this Government backing will only continue while our community is playing its part in maintaining the safest possible environment, as we have all been doing so far. We must maintain this high standard, accepting and embracing evolving guidance. We are all aware that Government needs to react swiftly to the evolution of the pandemic.

This brings us to the revised protocols announced earlier this week by Government. Thankfully, organised sport can continue to operate, when there is clear evidence of a thorough plan and consistent execution. Motorsport qualifies on that count. However, there are changes that we now need to implement to allow us to continue safely and these are summarised below:

there is now the requirement for all participants to wear a face mask in all areas of the venue at all times
the removal of individual personal exemptions from wearing a face mask; these persons will no longer be allowed to attend Motorsport UK events
enhanced powers for COVID-19 Officers, Clerks of the Course and Stewards to intervene and penalise any transgressions
reducing the maximum number of marshals per post to 6.
The revised measures are effective from Monday 14 September and further details can be found in an updated version of our COVID-19 Q&A, available on the Restart section of our website.

READ THE UPDATED COVID-19 Q&A
We trust that you understand the need for these changes, and thank you in advance for your cooperation and for helping to keep the sport we love safe and on track.

My best regards to you and your families,

Hugh Chambers
CEO, Motorsport UK

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
LinkedIn
Website

© Motorsport UK 2020. All rights reserved.

The registered company address of The Royal Automobile Club Motor Sports Association Limited is Motorsport UK House, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, SL3 0HG.

Registered in England. Company registration number: 1344829. | VAT no: GB242304895.

Update your preferences | Unsubscribe
View email online | Terms
Old 11 Sep 2020, 18:51 (Ref:4001727)   #839
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn’t “the removal of individual personal exemptions from wearing a face mask; these persons will no longer be allowed to attend Motorsport UK events“ contrary to disability discrimination law?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 19:44 (Ref:4001738)   #840
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Isn’t “the removal of individual personal exemptions from wearing a face mask; these persons will no longer be allowed to attend Motorsport UK events“ contrary to disability discrimination law?
Probably not. It would be indirectly discriminatory because it's not people with a disability who are told they can't attend, but those who can't/won't wear a face covering - which is likely to affect those with certain disabilities more than those without.
That means the discrimination can be justified on (in brief) reasonable grounds. I'm sure MSUK have run it past their lawyers to check it'll still comply with the Equality Act - it's fair to say that the courts are adopting a more lenient attitude generally where things are done in the name of Covid-19 protection and are objectively justifiable.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 23:27 (Ref:4001775)   #841
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
"all participants to wear a face mask in all areas of the venue at all times"
The original email from MUK strongly emphasised the 'alls' in bold, so do we suppose they require us to wear a mask under our helmets?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 23:43 (Ref:4001777)   #842
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, in some respects, this just makes it black & white and removes any opportunity for grey areas and should sort out the few who think the rules aren't for them. Prior to this ruling, it has been all too easy for some - and yes, I know it's a minority - to simply say 'Oh, I get asthma' or something similar, simply because they can't be bothered to wear a mask.

Yes, it discriminates against those who genuinely can't wear a mask (which I imagine is a tiny fraction of people), but it makes everything much simpler from an enforcement perspective. It's now a very simple binary choice: be there, wear a mask, no excuses - or be somewhere else.

It also makes me wonder about anyone who claims they can't wear a mask because of some pre-existing respiratory condition, if we consider the fact that Covid is a respiratory disease that's proven to be worse for those with pre-existing respiratory problems. That being the case, why would anyone with a pre-existing respiratory condition even want to go anywhere where they'll be surrounded by hundreds of people, some of whom may possibly pass on a potentially lethal virus to them?

Each to their own I suppose...
Old 11 Sep 2020, 23:51 (Ref:4001778)   #843
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
The original email from MUK strongly emphasised the 'alls' in bold, so do we suppose they require us to wear a mask under our helmets?
David, somewhere I read a clarification along the lines of 'drivers can replace their masks with balaclavas whilst competing on circuit.'

And, of course, we must be allowed to remove them to eat & drink, and, I assume, we'll be allowed to remove them once inside our own sealed accommodation for the night. Can't imagine they expect us to sleep in a mask surely?

I suspect the 'all times' is emphasized just to let that small minority (see my previous post) know that vague excuses for not wearing one will not be tolerated.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 06:17 (Ref:4001806)   #844
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
It is refreshing that at least MSV , and Mallory Park have got their act together in enabling business to carry on , if not quite as usual , but at least a reasonable approximation . Othee venues(not just circuits ) remain shut or off limits .
Old 12 Sep 2020, 06:33 (Ref:4001807)   #845
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It is refreshing that at least MSV , and Mallory Park have got their act together in enabling business to carry on , if not quite as usual , but at least a reasonable approximation . Othee venues(not just circuits ) remain shut or off limits .

...and MSV is run by a qualified Doctor who probably has a better, more realistic understanding of the situation than some.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 09:39 (Ref:4001824)   #846
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

No, because the helmet constitutes a face covering under the law. Very sloppy of MSUK not to check the wording. Almost as if it were rushed out as a knee jerk reaction - but that wouldn't happen would it?

Plenty of social distancing here at Wiscombe but few masks. Last event under the old regulations of course. I've had a photo from Clay kart track where masks are enforced in the dummy grid, and it is being adhered to.

Personally I don't like wearing a mask but do so willingly if it means we carry on while attempting to halt the virus's spread. I'm also taking care not to touch "other people's" surfaces which from what I understand is the biggest spreader.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Sep 2020, 10:04 (Ref:4001833)   #847
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Copied directly from an email I received yesterday:

Q&A

I have a medical exemption from wearing a face mask.
Motorsport UK has removed the provision for individual personal exemptions from wearing a face mask and these persons will no longer be allowed to attend Motorsport UK Events.

What will the officials do for those that are not complying or refuse to comply with the COVID-19 requirements?
Each participant must be considerate of their actions and the impact on others.

Motorsport UK has been permitted to resume events by the respective Governments and under the “Getting Back on Track” guidance. It is imperative that all participants adhere to both Motorsport UK and
Government guidance so that we can continue to run Events.
It is now mandated that face masks are to be worn in all areas at the Event (with the exception of competitors whilst in their car or kart competing). In the event that an individual fails to comply with COVID-19 requirements in the first instance, the officials in conjunction with the COVID-19 Officer will give a gentle reminder. Continued transgressions will result in the COVID-19 Officer bringing the report to the Clerk of the Course and Event Stewards, who will issue penalties, and the matter will also be reported to Motorsport UK and could also result in eviction from the venue.

Please remember our Officials do not wish to remind anyone of the need to comply. Any abuse towards Event Officials will not be tolerated.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 10:26 (Ref:4001838)   #848
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But motorsport largely takes place outside, and yet I can still go to the pub as long as not in a group greater than 6 and not have to wear a mask. It makes no sense.
Don’t get me wrong, I can and do wear a mask, but I do not understand MUK introducing a rule that is far more stringent than any other environment that I can think of.
We have to protect ourselves but is this a relevant and proportionate response?
Old 12 Sep 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4001840)   #849
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think you'll find that pubs and restaurants are controlled environments where you are required to register your presence and phone number etc. Wide open spaces are not the same.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 10:47 (Ref:4001842)   #850
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think you'll find that pubs and restaurants are controlled environments where you are required to register your presence and phone number etc. Wide open spaces are not the same.
Maybe, Peter, but I have been in to one pub and one Indian restaurant in the last fortnight and not registered at all.
I would feel safer in the paddock at Donington Park without a mask than in a pub with one (between sips!)