Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Sep 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2764628)   #276
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does the Lister Jag "GT" get in, I can't remember it racing against the GTOs etc in the TT or other races. Was it not a LM prototype? There was only one so not any form of production.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2764631)   #277
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
So the progrmme gives the figure of 1998cc must be correct then. As for the RAC TT my memories seemed to be of Ferrari's and Astons; without a lot serching through programmes/results in the loft to confirm, 1961 Ferrari 1-2 3rd Aston.1962 1st 250GTO [G.Hill] 1963 5 GTO's, 3 Astons 3 lightweight E's formed the entry for the over 2litre contingent Ferrari finishing 1-2-3 and 1964 the last year the TT was run at Goodwood 1st Ferrari 330p [G.Hill] The only appearance by one Mr.Shelby appears to be 1959 driving for Aston. My own first appearance as a mechanic [well the label said so] Goodwood May 1965 Lord Cross AC Cobra? I seem to remember, just a BARC clubbie event....
Next time i see him I will ask Mr. Attwood.... There were rumours of more cars having larger engines, and also about cars being much lighter than lightweight. And honestly, if it adds to the spectacle of the current race I do not care too much, but if the organisers are trying to emulate a race as was held in period, certain things should be looked at much more stringently, (and not the way the public or the mechanics are dressed) like they did with a certain GT40. (but apparently only with one).
IIR 1964 was the year that the Cobras clinched the world GT title. Perhaps the TT had lost some importance by that time?
The Lister Costin prototype should actually not be eligible for this race.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2764667)   #278
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another great weekend in my opinion.
The weather was spot on as always ...maybe a little bit cool.

Ultimately we all know the races are by invitation, so I do not get too fussed by the 'eligibility' discussions, unless the invitation got seriously lost in the post and it is just glaringly obvious that the car should not be there.

There was paddock chat that in order to keep on top of the game Goodwood was determined to have a £100million grid for the TT, which may explain the make up of the grid. Shame that no Corvettes invited, (but maybe they would have lowered the total £s too much ! )

TT laptimes are steadily coming down each year - some of this must be to do with tyres.In the past the Dunlop 700L was not available,but now is for those who can stuff them under their arches, also the circuit surface itself is faster....but...I don't think those two elements alone can make up for the all seconds, so more engine power methinks?

Quite a wide variety in terms of cars which were more original than others, but then most knowledgeable folk know which cars are which - the "well developed" and the original. There was a post about the Lister Coupe - I don't know my facts but believe it did run in that spec in period, and IMO Justin Law puts on a good show.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2765131)   #279
pedro917
Rookie

Belgium
Sint-Niklaas
pedro917 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,
You can find my 2010 Revival pictures (Friday & Saturday) on my Jalbum webspace:
http://jalbum.net/browse/user/album/751375/
Old 30 Sep 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2767175)   #280
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course the costin lister coupe ran in period, at le mans 24 hours in 1963 first race, last race international was 1000km nurburgring in 1964.
all is well documented, you only have to look a little bit ..............
Old 1 Oct 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2767615)   #281
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus View Post
of course the costin lister coupe ran in period, at le mans 24 hours in 1963 first race, last race international was 1000km nurburgring in 1964.
all is well documented, you only have to look a little bit ..............
I think nobody is denying that the car is real and ran in period, but the question was, did it run as a GT or as an experimental prototype.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3...ans-Coupe.html

or

http://www.dropbears.com/gallery/cla..._GT_1963_1.htm

and reading this one might also ask the question whether the 330 LMB or the DP Astons should be eligible for the TT race.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2767627)   #282
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Goodwood flexibility! I think that it is OK to run the Lister Coupe, the 330LMBs and the DP Astons; they are a good fit and now no quicker than the quicker E types and Cobras. In fact DP214, of which two were built could legitimately race anyway as they raced here in the 1963 TT and had the scrutineers not insisted on 5.5 rims instead of the 6.5 rims that they had raced everywhere else with, including Le Mans, Innes Ireland would probably have won. Can you imagine that happening in France with a French car? In fact both French and Italian scrutes allowed this car to run with the wider rims, and it actually won, Salvadori up, at Monza that year against the GTOs. Only one original 214 survives. Incidentally, there is a very good piece on the Project Astons in the latest issue of Octane.

Without Goodwood we wouldn't see the likes of 212, 330LMBs and the Lister Coupe run, so let's be thankful for their inclusion.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2767628)   #283
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Goodwood flexibility! I think that it is OK to run the Lister Coupe, the 330LMBs and the DP Astons; they are a good fit and now no quicker than the quicker E types and Cobras. In fact DP214, of which two were built could legitimately race anyway as they raced here in the 1963 TT and had the scrutineers not insisted on 5.5 rims instead of the 6.5 rims that they had raced everywhere else with, including Le Mans, Innes Ireland would probably have won. Can you imagine that happening in France with a French car? Only one original 214 survives. Incidentally, there is a very good piece on the Project Astons in the latest issue of Octane.

Without Goodwood we wouldn't see the likes of 212, 330LMBs and the Lister Coupe run, so let's be thankful for their inclusion.
Almost completeyl true, except for the last sentence, they also run at the Le Mans Classic
Old 1 Oct 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2767633)   #284
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
.....and as LMC is the Worlds foremost Historic Race Meeting...

Over to you Mr Drabble
Old 1 Oct 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2767659)   #285
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Next time i see him I will ask Mr. Attwood.... There were rumours of more cars having larger engines, and also about cars being much lighter than lightweight. And honestly, if it adds to the spectacle of the current race I do not care too much, but if the organisers are trying to emulate a race as was held in period, certain things should be looked at much more stringently, (and not the way the public or the mechanics are dressed) like they did with a certain GT40. (but apparently only with one).
IIR 1964 was the year that the Cobras clinched the world GT title. Perhaps the TT had lost some importance by that time?
The Lister Costin prototype should actually not be eligible for this race.
I would have thought that P261BRM will see Mr Attwood a little sooner.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2767667)   #286
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
that is not unlikely....
(I don't expect him to see at the Dix Mille Tours next weekend)
Old 1 Oct 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2767688)   #287
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
that is not unlikely....
(I don't expect him to see at the Dix Mille Tours next weekend)
erm....him to be OR to see him (take your pick)
Old 1 Oct 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2767691)   #288
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Goodwood flexibility! I think that it is OK to run the Lister Coupe, the 330LMBs and the DP Astons; they are a good fit and now no quicker than the quicker E types and Cobras.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2767929)   #289
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
did Ogle's ever race? Funnily enough there was one on EBay a few months ago that could not sell!!
Another Ogle for sale :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-Mini-Ogle-SX-1000-Race-Car-843-GPH-Rare-/180567530830?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a0aa9dd4e
Old 5 Oct 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2769750)   #290
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Possible Terence, possible...