Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2022, 09:27 (Ref:4111694)   #2051
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Im an Aussie and a dan fan, but I think he has burned all his bridges. He really has not shone since he left RB. I believe next year that seat will have Colton in it. Who knows where Danny will be?

Aussie Supercars or s5000? Or just kicking back with his very fat multi million bank account.

How about a wild card entry at bathurst 12 hour or 1000 Danny and Weber sharing a car.... team red bull of course. promoters dream
Don’t know the bridges have burned.. but when you keep getting the team engineering boss apologising for the choices of his team, plus the engineer asking on the radio if the car is ok rather than the pilot.. the team love definitely appears to be missing for some reason.

Sad.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 May 2022, 09:49 (Ref:4111699)   #2052
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ricciardo had a good second half of last year. This year the car hasn’t been great, but he still seems to be lacking something compared to Norris. I do hope he manages to rediscover his mojo somehow
Old 29 May 2022, 12:10 (Ref:4111718)   #2053
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's a bit sad to see, he's in the same boat as Vettel IMO.

Perhaps WEC awaits, I certainly don't see him moving to Indy cars.

Maybe he should?
Old 1 Jun 2022, 19:49 (Ref:4112465)   #2054
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, look at what Marcus Ericsson has now achieved - maybe he could do a straight swap with Pato O'Ward...
Old 1 Jun 2022, 20:37 (Ref:4112472)   #2055
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Yes, look at what Marcus Ericsson has now achieved - maybe he could do a straight swap with Pato O'Ward...

I think Colton Herta has got the McLaren drive.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 00:52 (Ref:4112487)   #2056
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's not clear cut. Is Rossi replacing Rosenqvist or covering for O'Ward?

I can't imagine Pato signing for 2 more years is solely for Indycar. He will be doing F1 FP and testing later this year as well as Herta.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 01:24 (Ref:4112491)   #2057
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think we might see Gasly there
Old 2 Jun 2022, 06:19 (Ref:4112495)   #2058
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The repeated failure of nearly everyone coming from Indycar to Formula 1 starting at Michael Andretti and including Zanardi,de Matta and Bourdais should be a warning to any F1 boss that is thinking of hiring an Indycar driver .Even more so now that the cars are so much slower in comparison to F1 cars than they were back in the day.That drivers with F1 records like Rossi and Ericcson can jump in and win the 500 should also send alarm bells.
If I was running a team I would want anyone coming in to do a year in F2 so at least there would be a point of comparison with other options.Putting Colton Herta in there now may well turn out to be a train wreck.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 07:25 (Ref:4112501)   #2059
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think the current F1 cars will suit Indycar guys much better than the previous generation cars.

Plus it's relatively easy to get a good feel of how good any driver is with all the sim and data logging stuff available these days.

After that it's upto driver (and team) to make it work.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4112534)   #2060
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
It's not clear cut. Is Rossi replacing Rosenqvist or covering for O'Ward?

I can't imagine Pato signing for 2 more years is solely for Indycar. He will be doing F1 FP and testing later this year as well as Herta.

O'Ward just signed an extension to the end of 2025 and it looks like Rossi is replacing Rosenqvist.

https://racer.com/2022/06/01/rossi-t...expected-soon/
Old 3 Jun 2022, 01:22 (Ref:4112610)   #2061
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
O'Ward just signed an extension to the end of 2025 and it looks like Rossi is replacing Rosenqvist.

They're definitely going to three cars.
So Rosenquist is not gone yet and may not leave at all.
Still on the table.
Other third driver option rumours include Veekay and Palou.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4112626)   #2062
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:

But the contract is with Mclaren, presumably to deive in any category with them.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4112639)   #2063
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
But the contract is with Mclaren, presumably to deive in any category with them.
One would imagine so, knowing O'Wards personal objectives, not to mention McLaren F1's interest in an American driver. I must admit the official press release I read seemed to be more Indycar focused.... but that I would see as a deliberate ambiguity. Any mention of O'Ward and F1 in the same sentence in that context from McLaren, would (likely) be turned by the "internet mentality" (present company here an exception) into a clickbait frenzy of "Ricciardo out O'Ward in" (for 2023) headlines throughout social media.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 12:17 (Ref:4112660)   #2064
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

O'Ward's contract is with AMSP.

https://www.indycar.com/news/2022/05...ward-extension
Old 3 Jun 2022, 15:31 (Ref:4112690)   #2065
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The repeated failure of nearly everyone coming from Indycar to Formula 1 starting at Michael Andretti and including Zanardi,de Matta and Bourdais should be a warning to any F1 boss that is thinking of hiring an Indycar driver .Even more so now that the cars are so much slower in comparison to F1 cars than they were back in the day.That drivers with F1 records like Rossi and Ericcson can jump in and win the 500 should also send alarm bells.
If I was running a team I would want anyone coming in to do a year in F2 so at least there would be a point of comparison with other options.Putting Colton Herta in there now may well turn out to be a train wreck.
Jaques Villenuerve did alright
Old 3 Jun 2022, 16:26 (Ref:4112698)   #2066
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Also - Zanardi was an F1 driver who whent to Indycars and then back to F1. Just to be pedantic.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 18:03 (Ref:4112704)   #2067
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Also - Zanardi was an F1 driver who whent to Indycars and then back to F1. Just to be pedantic.

He went back again to CART in 2001 and had that accident at the Lausitzring.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 02:28 (Ref:4112768)   #2068
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Jaques Villenuerve did alright
So did Montoya until Kimi wiped the floor with him.Montoya only had a short time in the US and was pretty successful in the Euro junior formulas before that.He had proven himself.
Villeneuve is a different situation.I asked a friend of mine who went to the Gold Coast Indycar races when Villeneuve was racing there if any of the drivers were capable of being successful in F1.He said Villeneuve was the only one with a smooth enough driving style to make it fit and a lot of the drivers were basically NASCAR drivers on holidays.Remember then that drivers coming in could do pretty much unlimited testing which is he complete opposite of now.If Colton Herta thinks he is ready to be a success in F1 he should pretty much wipe the floor in F2.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4112788)   #2069
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
So did Montoya until Kimi wiped the floor with him.Montoya only had a short time in the US and was pretty successful in the Euro junior formulas before that.He had proven himself.
Villeneuve is a different situation.I asked a friend of mine who went to the Gold Coast Indycar races when Villeneuve was racing there if any of the drivers were capable of being successful in F1.He said Villeneuve was the only one with a smooth enough driving style to make it fit and a lot of the drivers were basically NASCAR drivers on holidays.Remember then that drivers coming in could do pretty much unlimited testing which is he complete opposite of now.If Colton Herta thinks he is ready to be a success in F1 he should pretty much wipe the floor in F2.
Even so, with all respects how much of JV's success was down to the fact he had the best car under him. Yes he did well, often matching his teamate, but success never followed him when he moved to BAR and Sauber / Sauber BMW, or briefly at Renault. I know he had reliability issues early in the BAR days, but with a less than top car he struggled to match or beat his team mates.

Im not trying to make it an anti JV thing by any means but if someone of his prowess struggled in a less than top car, how will the newer wave of Indycar drivers such as Herta Palou and O'Ward etc fair? Do they need to, as Montoya did, do the hard yards in the F1 feeder system and the Euro system (and tyres) to be F1 ready?

I have to admit I am no longer able to follow Indycar closely so I might be out of touch.... it is no longer on our pay/cable or FTA TV, only by streaming subscriptions or online highlights.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 08:20 (Ref:4112792)   #2070
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Struggled to match or beat his team mates? He completely dominated Zonta and while Panis was sometimes ahead of him, generally JV had the upper hand. Against Button it was a different story though.

People sell JV short. He wasted the best years in average cars, but he still gave it his all and was able to show he still had talent when he had the chance. Let's face it, he was one of the few he did not fear the Schumi
Old 4 Jun 2022, 08:20 (Ref:4112793)   #2071
S griffin
Veteran

Struggled to match or beat his team mates? He completely dominated Zonta and while Panis was sometimes ahead of him, generally JV had the upper hand. Against Button it was a different story though.

People sell JV short. He wasted the best years in average cars, but he still gave it his all and was able to show he still had talent when he had the chance. Let's face it, he was one of the few he did not fear the Schumi
Old 4 Jun 2022, 13:02 (Ref:4112824)   #2072
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For about 4-5 years he was mega but he was never the same after he won his title imo. Don’t know if it was the money or if his motivation changed after winning.

Had he pulled a Nico and retired after winning his chip he might have been remembered as one of the greats instead he’s a tale of two careers…perhaps also a compelling story in its own right.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 09:06 (Ref:4112951)   #2073
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
For about 4-5 years he was mega but he was never the same after he won his title imo. Don’t know if it was the money or if his motivation changed after winning.

Had he pulled a Nico and retired after winning his chip he might have been remembered as one of the greats instead he’s a tale of two careers…perhaps also a compelling story in its own right.
I still dont get the constant negative commentary from Mr Villeneuve in every press article attributed to him.
Arguably Marc Surer's take on the world is similarly bleak..

Where is Mr Jordan to go sex up the paddock gossip mill
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:38 (Ref:4113013)   #2074
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I still dont get the constant negative commentary from Mr Villeneuve in every press article attributed to him.
Arguably Marc Surer's take on the world is similarly bleak..

Where is Mr Jordan to go sex up the paddock gossip mill
I suspect the Paddock got fed up with his more and more outlandish “predictions” and attention seeking. No point being Bernie’s messenger when Bernie is no longer there ….
Old 5 Jun 2022, 18:20 (Ref:4113044)   #2075
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
how will the newer wave of Indycar drivers such as Herta Palou and O'Ward etc fair?
OT here.

Herta, O'Ward, Palou, and Veekay all have the required speed. Latifi and Mazepin they are not.

However, of the those four, I'm convinced that Palou is the most 'F1' of them. The other three are pretty wild and inconsistent. Palou has the same speed, but also the consistency that that is required to fully get to know a new car and way of working.

I'd like to see them all get an F1 chance, if they wanted it, but I know that isn't very likely.