Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Nov 2018, 00:52 (Ref:3865559)   #676
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Few things...

IMSA recently uploaded a rather enjoyable hype video for the 2019 season, may be worth a watch! https://imsatv.imsa.com/

Also, IMSA has released their Roar schedules for the three participating series. WeatherTech, Pilot Series (Conti) and Prototype Challenge Series schedules - https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...oar_111418.pdf

I understood that November Daytona testing did not happen this year in lieu of the Sebring Encore, but I am curious if anyone knows if there will still be a mass test session in the first week of December like in previous years?

Only 40 more days until the ROAR, cannot wait!!

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 25 Nov 2018 at 01:06.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3865813)   #677
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
What are the qualifying sessions for, any idea?
Old 25 Nov 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3865819)   #678
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Absolutely.

Only one qualy session (Friday at 5:15 pm) for the 3 hour Prototype Challenge race; Saturday at 12:15 pm (check the schedule again). The ROAR will have that race added as a bonus!!!

edit: I see Sunday now....I have no clue.... (Maybe just a simulation to entertain....keep concessions appeased....?)

Last edited by jimclark; 25 Nov 2018 at 19:37.

jimclark
Old 25 Nov 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3865822)   #679
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They started qualifying for pit space selection/assignment last year, seems to have been popular enough to carry over.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3865823)   #680
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Aaaaahhhh. 'Haven't been in a few years. I had gotten the e-mail advising of the Proto Challenge race. Thanks.

jimclark
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3866087)   #681
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Alonso at a GM/Caddy team for Daytona allegedly:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/26/...-and-indy-500/

Should be hilarious off-track if they plonk him at WTR and he has to share a car with trollmaster Jordan Taylor.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3866096)   #682
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Riley and P1 will be back in GTD next year:

Quote:
At least two Mercedes GT Daytona class entries are expected next year, with Riley set to return to the WeatherTech Championship with Jeroen Bleekemolen and Ben Keating and P1 Motorsports closing in on a full-season program.
And we might see one or more cars for the GTD sprint season in addition to that (just speculation on my part).

from https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/w...u-s-gt3-teams/
Old 26 Nov 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3866099)   #683
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Here is some more information/updates on Alex Zanardi's Rolex 24 entry.

Still waiting for FIA/ACO approval on specialized equipment homologations.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/t...daytona-entry/
Old 26 Nov 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3866120)   #684
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Alonso at a GM/Caddy team for Daytona allegedly:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/26/...-and-indy-500/

Should be hilarious off-track if they plonk him at WTR and he has to share a car with trollmaster Jordan Taylor.
And Sportscar365 reports that he WILL be with WTR. Alongside Kamui Kobayashi and WTR's full-season pair (J Taylor and van der Zande). https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/a...-for-rolex-24/
Old 26 Nov 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3866121)   #685
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And Sportscar365 reports that he WILL be with WTR. Alongside Kamui Kobayashi and WTR's full-season pair (J Taylor and van der Zande). https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/a...-for-rolex-24/
That might well be the line up to beat if the BOP is decent for the Caddy next year. We know what Alonso did last year in the WEC spec P2 (even more impressive that it was in the 2nd best WEC Spec car) what can he do in the DPi.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3866127)   #686
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
I'm currently just imagining the amount of social media trolling Jordan will be pulling off during January if this turns out to be true.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3866138)   #687
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
(A) That might well be the line up to beat if the BOP is decent for the Caddy next year. (B) what can he do in the DPi.
(A) Why run races...? Just give everybody trophies.

(B) What drivers do...drive it.

jimclark
Old 26 Nov 2018, 19:02 (Ref:3866144)   #688
Coach Ep
Veteran

Lots of very quick guys out there for next year!
Old 27 Nov 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3866214)   #689
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Potentially 2x Lamborghini's for Paul Miller Racing in a switch from IMSA

Madison Snow / Brian Sellers
Second car TBC
Paul Miller is off to PWC/Blancpain US it seems:
https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...panded-effort/
Old 27 Nov 2018, 03:02 (Ref:3866235)   #690
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Few things...

I understood that November Daytona testing did not happen this year in lieu of the Sebring Encore, but I am curious if anyone knows if there will still be a mass test session in the first week of December like in previous years?

Only 40 more days until the ROAR, cannot wait!!
Several of the IMSA teams are testing December 11th at Daytona as part of a Michelin tire test.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 03:14 (Ref:3866240)   #691
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This Racer article seems to say Jimmy Johnson might be up for a seat in the car with Alonso.

https://racer.com/2018/11/26/johnson...o-at-rolex-24/

My favorite part is this:

Quote:
After impressing in his first run in a single-seater car at the Bahrain International Circuit, Johnson says he would be open to some open-wheel racing in future “without a doubt,” specifically highlighting the Rolex 24.
Umm, what?
Old 27 Nov 2018, 04:37 (Ref:3866246)   #692
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Poorly written. The actual context was justifying specifically doing road races with his experience racing sports cars.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3866336)   #693
Coach Ep
Veteran

Re WTR/Alonso (and just speculating): it was also noted somewhere that Wayne Taylor confirmed they were talking to 5 drivers. Now I don't know if that is in addition to their regular two (Jordan + v/d Zande) or incl. them. But we do know that Jordan/v/d Zande/Alonso are confirmed, Kobayashi is reported to be in the car and Johnson has expressed his clear desire to run with them (Alonso), WTR certainly seems to be willing to include Nascar stars in their Rolex line up (Gordon two years ago, sure there were others as well). And how about Hunter-Ray, who was their enduro pilot last year?

All in all there could be 6 drivers in the line up, what's the maximum number of drivers in the Pro classes, 4? Might we see a second WTR car, Rolex only??
Old 27 Nov 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3866359)   #694
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad Fred is coming back, a real racer who now has much more time on his hands
Old 27 Nov 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3866368)   #695
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Quote:

All in all there could be 6 drivers in the line up, what's the maximum number of drivers in the Pro classes, 4? Might we see a second WTR car, Rolex only??
I believe for the Rolex in particular the maximum is 5. But I could be wrong, there were definitely numerous teams running 5 drivers during the Grand-Am days but I can't really remember if that rule has carried over to IMSA. Someone here would know though.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3866373)   #696
jimclark
Veteran

United States
'Not interested enuff to dig, but here you go....

https://competitors.imsa.com/092018/...es-regulations

and last year:

"What are the rules of the Rolex 24?

Teams of up to five drivers compete in a 24-hour relay race. No driver can be in the car for more than four hours of a six-hour period."

from: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nasca...a1kqklon6xc5sq

Last edited by jimclark; 27 Nov 2018 at 17:25.

jimclark
Old 27 Nov 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3866381)   #697
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Not a fan of five drivers per car (or even four for that matter). This is supposed to be endurance racing. That should apply to both the machine and the drivers. I know, easy for me to say.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3866405)   #698
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Not a fan of five drivers per car (or even four for that matter). This is supposed to be endurance racing. That should apply to both the machine and the drivers. I know, easy for me to say.
I've met you. You look like you could do a triple stint.

But agreed. 5 drivers is a bit much with 4 even borderline for me.

Kudos to those who find any seat though!
Old 27 Nov 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3866410)   #699
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso/Kobayashi confirmed in WTR Caddy for Daytona.

https://www.facebook.com/WayneTaylor...110?__tn__=K-R
Old 27 Nov 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3866416)   #700
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I've met you. You look like you could do a triple stint.

But agreed. 5 drivers is a bit much with 4 even borderline for me.

Kudos to those who find any seat though!
Ha ha. Thanks, not feeling so sure about that after having pigged out too much last week.

Besides, I got a hot lap once at Sebring, it was a sobering experience. I always liked to think, "I'm a good driver, I could do what they do". After having a professional drive around that circuit at about 9/10ths and being terrified the whole time, yeah, I'm not cut out for that!