Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Dec 2018, 10:06 (Ref:3871944)   #251
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I would love to go as well. I’m told it’s a good circuit .
Old 22 Dec 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3871945)   #252
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, bring your Monster with!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiIrgIXpbxA
Made me feel sick just watching..... I’ve watched in car Renault Clio at Albi and that was easier to follow!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3871953)   #253
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just having a break and cuppa . Watched the clip definitely got to go now .
Old 22 Dec 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3871954)   #254
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced at Albi when it was included on Tour Auto - an absolutely wonderful circuit, driving a mate's Alfa Giulietta Sprint Zagato. Well worth a visit : while you are there, have a look at the extraodinary architecture of 14C Albi Cathedral.

Total contrast to Mangy-Cours, a loathsome circuit in my opinion with absolutely nothing to commend it, even Lydden is better.
Nick
Old 22 Dec 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3871956)   #255
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Well worth a visit : while you are there, have a look at the extraodinary architecture of 14C Albi Cathedral.
I'm with you Nick, Sainte Cécile is registered by the Unesco and is a pure jewel of architecture built by Cathares (meaning pure). I always wondered why Toulouse is said "la ville rose" should be Albi. Did you visit it? Please note that Cathare has nothing to see with Qatar.

Delta, where is the pizza on the video clip, please? If you're looking for a mechanical miracle, Lourdes is not that far from Albi! May be they could replace holy-water by beer for you.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3871959)   #256
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
I raced at Albi when it was included on Tour Auto - an absolutely wonderful circuit, driving a mate's Alfa Giulietta Sprint Zagato.

Total contrast to Mangy-Cours, a loathsome circuit in my opinion with absolutely nothing to commend it, even Lydden is better.
Nick
How long ago did you race at Albi, Nick? I was thinking the chicanes would be hard work for old cars, so your praise surprised me a bit!

I too have no desire to go back to the other place.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3871988)   #257
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was thinking the chicanes would be hard work for old cars, so your praise surprised me a bit!
Mike, c'on, we all know you detest Magny-Cours!
When you negotiate as should, a chicane is like any other curve. You're allowed to have two wheels on the kerb, not the four ones…

I hope Nick will tell you that a GTA is flying over anything, including the competition, and that the front end is almost bullet proof!

Among people driving at Dijon, how many had to adjust the chassis settings? Even Michelin people gave up, this track is declared to be different. I gave up too, adjusting only the LRW tyre pressure. Assuming I'm not a pro and far from being one…
Old 22 Dec 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3871996)   #258
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mike, c'on, we all know you detest Magny-Cours!
When you negotiate as should, a chicane is like any other curve. You're allowed to have two wheels on the kerb, not the four ones…
‘Detest’ a bit strong, Gerard...... In my opinion, the layout doesn’t suit historic cars as well as many other circuits. We raced at Monte Blanco in Spain once, and that was worse- again, in my opinion!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3871999)   #259
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very good answer because: a) politically correct, b) you're the Boss here,
c) I can understand it!
Another "strange" example, Croix en Ternois near Arras, John's land. If you race there lets say a 'Vette, you'll find no interest and get bored after two laps. With a smaller displacement car and if you find a good bunch of chaps to play with, at the end of the day you'll be happy. Opposite example could be Paul Ricard.
I think already told, if you have the opportunity to drive the Circuit de Nogaro, I bet you'll like it. The food in Gers region is just fantastic! And the former owner is no more around…
Want me to find you a video featuring a Ducati there?
Old 22 Dec 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3872000)   #260
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Very good answer because: a) politically correct, b) you're the Boss here,
c) I can understand it!
Another "strange" example, Croix en Ternois near Arras, John's land. If you race there lets say a 'Vette, you'll find no interest and get bored after two laps. With a smaller displacement car and if you find a good bunch of chaps to play with, at the end of the day you'll be happy. Opposite example could be Paul Ricard.
I think already told, if you have the opportunity to drive the Circuit de Nogaro, I bet you'll like it. The food in Gers region is just fantastic! And the former owner is no more around…
Want me to find you a video featuring a Ducati there?
Iain will have a ball when he comes to Croix with the 500's - it's just perfect for them & the racing was fantastic last time they came. Nice boulangerie for croixssants a short 'bike ride away in St Pol too. Mike hasn't mentioned finding such an establishment at Albi.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3872001)   #261
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Iain will have a ball when he comes to Croix with the 500's - it's just perfect for them & the racing was fantastic last time they came. Nice boulangerie for croixssants a short 'bike ride away in St Pol too. Mike hasn't mentioned finding such an establishment at Albi.
Sure we’d sniff one out......

Agree about some formula or categories working better on certain circuits. Logical if you think about it!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3872002)   #262
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Gosh I had forgot about that track Mike . Yes it was awful .
Old 22 Dec 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3872003)   #263
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John can you explain that the track itself is slightly under the surrounding walls level, please? A little bit "Ã* la Goodwood" only on this aspect. I find our marshals quite reactive and generally the CoC is not used to a high driving standard!!
Finding a pizzeria in Arras will be a… piece of cake while I'd warmly recommend local specialities, like "ficelle picarde".

'F course, Mike, just logical. For instance, below 350 hp, the Ricard is far too large and too long. Not mentioning the paint, please !!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3872004)   #264
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes it was awful .
Still is, delta!
We had many 12 hours races there but if you find chaps to compete against the feeling improves. "Interesting" place in the wet though and good network, toilets, showers, large boxes hard surface paddocks. And 102 on the tab!!! Not on the house though!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3872005)   #265
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
John can you explain that the track itself is slightly under the surrounding walls level, please? A little bit "Ã* la Goodwood" only on this aspect. I find our marshals quite reactive and generally the CoC is not used to a high driving standard!!
Finding a pizzeria in Arras will be a… piece of cake while I'd warmly recommend local specialities, like "ficelle picarde".

'F course, Mike, just logical. For instance, below 350 hp, the Ricard is far too large and too long. Not mentioning the paint, please !!
Lots of good eateries in Arras but a bit far from Croix. My good lady is dining out with a couple of friends at Leon de Bruxelles - they do excellent fish 'n chips although their main thing is moules but I can't stand them.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3872006)   #266
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha, ha are you an old style Brit'? You're supposed to be disgusted by moules, oysters and snails. Cooked ones of course!!!!!

Do you have a name for moules?

Last edited by Gerard C; 22 Dec 2018 at 19:32.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3872010)   #267
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Ha, ha are you an old style Brit'? You're supposed to be disgusted by moules, oysters and snails. Cooked ones of course!!!!!

Do you have a name for moules?
Moules are muscles, and yes, they are disgusting! I don't get on well with shell fish at all, Cromer crabs being the exception.

Anyway, I have had my box of Christmas goodies courtesy of the mairie delivered this afternoon, including a couple of bottles of wine, so I'm fime!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3872014)   #268
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place

See that, E.B, we know how to treat our migrants!
What kind of gift? Beaujolais, Bordeaux, Bourgogne, vin de Loire? Red, white, grey or rosé ? I dont drink on a regular basis but enjoy white Sancerre-Bordeaux-Chablis-Petit Chablis-Menetou Salon when my wife would prefer Riesling. I do appreciate red Bordeaux, specially Saint Emilion and sometimes Bourgogne depending on the meat. With moderation except for champagne.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3872015)   #269
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You will be a real French when saying "merde" anytime, using a AZERTY and not QWERTY key board and write Michèle and not Michele…
Old 22 Dec 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3872016)   #270
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
See that, E.B, we know how to treat our migrants!
What kind of gift? Beaujolais, Bordeaux, Bourgogne, vin de Loire? Red, white, grey or rosé ? I dont drink on a regular basis but enjoy white Sancerre-Bordeaux-Chablis-Petit Chablis-Menetou Salon when my wife would prefer Riesling. I do appreciate red Bordeaux, specially Saint Emilion and sometimes Bourgogne depending on the meat. With moderation except for champagne.
A nice assortment of bits & pieces such as smoked trout, cold meat, chocolates etc, also a bottle of red (Chateau Riereau Les Pins, Cotes de Bourg), a bottle of white (Chateau du Petit Lac, Cotes de Bergerac), plus a bottle of Frexenet, which I think is Spanish, so not so good! This is all delivered to everyone in the village over 65.

Right now I'm enjoying a pint of Adnams Broadside, which is going down rather well.

You mention rose, Michele told me a story of how on holiday in, I think, Turkey, she asked for a glass of rose, at which point the waiter picked up a bottle of red & a bottle of white & poured equal amounts into the same glass!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3872017)   #271
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
You will be a real French when saying "merde" anytime, using a AZERTY and not QWERTY key board and write Michèle and not Michele…
I make far too many mistakes on an AZERTY keyboard, so no, I don't have accents on mine!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3872031)   #272
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You mention rosé, Michèle told me a story of how on holiday in, I think, Turkey, she asked for a glass of rose, at which point the waiter picked up a bottle of red & a bottle of white & poured equal amounts into the same glass!
Cant imagine the waiter reaction being asked by a woman to serve wine in a halal country… May be he bought a WTF, WTF, WTF key board after all !
Old 22 Dec 2018, 22:45 (Ref:3872034)   #273
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
≥>>>>>>>>Moules are muscles, and yes, they are disgusting!

I have to point out to Gerard - moules are MUSSELS.

Muscles are something totally different mon ami - bulging biceps, 6-packs and more.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Dec 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3872157)   #274
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Val de Vienne like, Gerald?

A good friend of mine lives near by and has invited me to stay. Any decent meetings?
Old 23 Dec 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3872162)   #275
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Oops, Andy, of course I do know the track both as it was and as is now. Its good to have a friend in the area because there is a good hotel located near a river, 200 yards from the main entry but always overbooked by organizers themselves. This part of France is sitting between two regions nice to visit.

As to the network, all paddocks present macadam surface, showers, enough toilets, generally clean (please, Mike, no comment). I can't explain why but this track is very successful with many riders club, even Switzerland ones.
We do have car meetings there, modern and historic, the safety is not an issue, soft surface, good mix of straights and curves, good rhythm (you won't sleep at wheel or get bored) non agressive kerbs.
Next Historic Championnat de France 2019 date is October 25-27.
What would you like: training, race, historic, modern?
Sorry, at the moment I can't find a decent on board video, if you like it will PM you.
PS: Mind you when searching further info, we call it either Val de Vienne as you say and Circuit du Vigean.
I found this for you https://trackdays4all.fr/val-de-vienne/