Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 13 Nov 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4083192)   #51
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
i must say lh and max side by side on the back row of the sprint is a tasty idea.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4083195)   #52
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think if they DQ Hamilton they will have little other choice but to DQ Verstappen as well.

There's a history of drivers getting DQ'ed when they touched their car after a race (espcally in lower formulae like GP2 or F3000), so I can't see how touching another competitor's car can only be a reprimand?

Especially considering he touched the one part of the car that's under scrutiny.
It could have been different if it was the front wing that was being investigated.
No, there is no history of that, Vettel once was reprimanded, nothing more than that

Old 13 Nov 2021, 12:46 (Ref:4083196)   #53
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will end up being a reprimand or a no further action
Old 13 Nov 2021, 13:16 (Ref:4083201)   #54
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
The rule is very clear, unless authorised, people, including drivers, are not allowed to touch the cars under Parc Ferme conditions.
Hopefully the stewards will do the right thing, and impose the maximum possible penalty of Verstappen.
Clearly the appropriate penalty is to chop his hand off! That will teach him!

Richard
Old 13 Nov 2021, 13:22 (Ref:4083203)   #55
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
No, there is no history of that, Vettel once was reprimanded, nothing more than that
There is.
Read again what I wrote. Especially in lower formulae like F3000 and GP2.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 13:40 (Ref:4083208)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
i must say lh and max side by side on the back row of the sprint is a tasty idea.
Im ok with that.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 13:44 (Ref:4083211)   #57
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A further summons has now been issued to Mercedes:

A team representative is required to report to the Stewards at 10:30 in relation to the incident below.
No / Driver: 44 - Lewis Hamilton
Reason: Alleged breach of Article 3.6.3 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4083214)   #58
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Helmut Marko has said that Mercedes are claiming that Max damaged the wing. A pretty pathetic claim if true - I van see an argument a touch from Max might complicate the legality (or illegality) of Hamilton's wing but to claim he damaged it is nonsense.

Of course, Marko could just be overly emphasising Mercedes' claims and ramping up the rhetoric like he usually does.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4083215)   #59
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
There is.
Read again what I wrote. Especially in lower formulae like F3000 and GP2.
So a very long time ago and not in F1, and it happened earlier in F1, but with nothing more than a reprimand
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4083216)   #60
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
It is unlikely to be true that Max damaged the wing.
However, it is not impossible he affected it.

The main problem here is he touched the part of the car that was afterwards found to be outside the regulations.

Quote:
So a very long time ago and not in F1
So? A precendent nonetheless.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:18 (Ref:4083217)   #61
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
It is unlikely to be true that Max damaged the wing.
However, it is not impossible he affected it.

The main problem here is he touched the part of the car that was afterwards found to be outside the regulations.

So? A precendent nonetheless.

Because Max can apply more pressure to that wing with one hand than the downforce would do at 300 KPH? you got to be kidding right?

also it DID happen before in F1 and with nothing more than a reprimand (for Vettel at that time)
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:21 (Ref:4083218)   #62
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Because Max can apply more pressure to that wing with one hand than the downforce would do at 300 KPH? you got to be kidding right?
Did you read how they measure the legality?

It has something to do with the opening between the parts of the wings.
They can't measure it while on track, so they measure the difference between the part, which must below a certain number.

If that's a matter of milimeters, it is entirely possible to affect that, yes.

--

Nobody can prove Max affected the rear wing, nobody can prove the contrary either.
But he seems to have touched it, and now the things seems to be outside of the regulations.

Maybe it would not have been if Max had left it alone. That is the problem.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:28 (Ref:4083219)   #63
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
They test the opening for MAXIMUM clearance

but what you are saying is that Max can apply more pressure to that wing with one hand than the pressure of the car going 320 KPH ?

Max is not from Krypton, you do know that right?
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4083221)   #64
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
but what you are saying is that Max can apply more pressure to that wing with one hand than the pressure of the car going 320 KPH ?
That is NOT what I said, no.

They test for max clearance while the car is stationary.

They can't test the clearance while the car is at speed, obviously.
So maybe the clearance for one car or another is bigger while on track, there is no need to know or to test.

If it is a matter of milimeters it is not impossible for someone to appply enough pressure to affect the max clearance for a stationary car.

Did he, or did he not? That is impossible now for anyone to say.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:36 (Ref:4083222)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They test the opening for MAXIMUM clearance

Max is not from Krypton, you do know that right?

He is not called Super Max for nothing.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4083223)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
The rule is very clear, unless authorised, people, including drivers, are not allowed to touch the cars under Parc Ferme conditions.
Hopefully the stewards will do the right thing, and impose the maximum possible penalty of Verstappen.

Article 34 Pre-Race Parc Fermé, of the 2021 Formula One Sporting Regulations doesn't mention that.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...2020-12-16.pdf
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4083224)   #67
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
That is NOT what I said, no.

They test for max clearance while the car is stationary.

They can't test the clearance while the car is at speed, obviously.
So maybe the clearance for one car or another is bigger while on track, there is no need to know or to test.

If it is a matter of milimeters it is not impossible for someone to appply enough pressure to affect the max clearance for a stationary car.

Did he, or did he not? That is impossible now for anyone to say.
Do you really understand as little about F1 cars to think Max could do anything to that wing with a few fingers?

I know you hate Max, but this is just plain silly.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4083226)   #68
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
I know you hate Max, but this is just plain silly.
No accusations necessary, my friend.

I don't generally hate drivers.
Sometimes I'm just not a fan of a particular driver, that's all.
I'm not a fan of Max.
I'm not a fan of Lewis.

Now what?

Quote:
Do you really understand as little about F1 cars to think Max could do anything to that wing with a few fingers?
Like they said on Autosport, even if it is unlikely, he could have dislodged something that then could have affected the outcome of the measurements.
But, they too - probably - hate Max and now nothing about F1 cars?
Old 13 Nov 2021, 15:16 (Ref:4083228)   #69
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
No accusations necessary, my friend.

I don't generally hate drivers.
Sometimes I'm just not a fan of a particular driver, that's all.
Your comments prove otherwise, it is more than just "not beeing a fan" in your comments about Max
Old 13 Nov 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4083230)   #70
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Let's be sensible here.

The opening has a maximum size (in mm) that is measured when no load is applied.
It is entirely possible that Max applied enough pressure to force the wing open by more than the permitted width.
When the car is moving, the size of the opening may be even more?

And if you want a more technical reason why Max (may) have been able to adjust the wing:

When the car is moving, the DRS flap is 'forced' closed by the air moving over the element. To open it (overcome the forces), hydraulic pressure is required.
When there is no air moving over the element, the amount of force required to open the DRS element may me very small - particularly if there is no hydraulic pressure in the actuator.
The entire systems is designed around the forces of aero and hydraulic pressure. Neither are present with the car stationary and engine off. So movements of parts may be very easy.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4083231)   #71
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I'm reading that an onboard from Alonso's car that shows Verstappen touching Hamilton's car is proving key in the FIA decision process?
Old 13 Nov 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4083232)   #72
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Looking at the video, he doesn't appear to do very much to his or to Hamilton's rear wing.

https://youtu.be/bvMHq3t4YYY
Old 13 Nov 2021, 16:08 (Ref:4083233)   #73
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Whilst I am pretty sure Max did nothing to the wing given the angle and situation, it IS possible to break or bend a wing if it’s bent in a direction it is not designed to be. That’s the reason a lot of wings have a “no pull / no push” message written on the rear of GT and touring car wings.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4083234)   #74
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're stage managing this arent they? Announce any penalty 20 minutes before the sprint RACE for the social media "views/clicks". Its kinda depressing because you know what will happen, journalists will report it on social media, the fans of the punished driver will "go mental" and then journalists will come out complaining about the abuse from said fans without criticising the way the FIA/F1 are handling the situation. F1 might have improved its viewing numbers, social media engagement but its introduced a horrible tribalism.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 16:19 (Ref:4083236)   #75
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
They're stage managing this arent they?
While i wouldnt say the tribalism aspect is new, i.e. tabloids and tifosi, this is an interesting connection between the timing and commercialization of social media to generate hype/controversy you are making.

I would add Max' choice to not participate with Drive to Survive for example leaves a void that the sport/netflix can use to fill with their own narrative.

Interesting times we live in.