Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 May 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3643205)   #1
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Viewing at Oulton Park

Would one of you knowledgeable chaps be able to tell me where the best place to spectate is at Oulton. My sons, grandchildren and I are attending the BTCC weekend, and suggestions for the best spots for both days would be really appreciated. And would you know if paddock access is possible on the Saturday?

TIA.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3643216)   #2
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Would one of you knowledgeable chaps be able to tell me where the best place to spectate is at Oulton. My sons, grandchildren and I are attending the BTCC weekend, and suggestions for the best spots for both days would be really appreciated. And would you know if paddock access is possible on the Saturday?

TIA.
Everyone will have their favourite spots, so you'll probably get told to watch from every corner.

My personal favourite is Lodge.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:23 (Ref:3643221)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A vey long time since I spectated, but friends of mine like the banking at Cascades below the Fogarty Moss centre as it gives them quite a large field of view. Close to facilities as well.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:41 (Ref:3643230)   #4
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cross over the track at the Clay Hill footbridge and you are virtually on top of the cars as they exit Knickerbrook.
Old 20 May 2016, 15:15 (Ref:3643270)   #5
Sam Collinson
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds
Sam Collinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Dad and I would usually go to Knickerbrook, just down from Hilltop, as you get a great view of the Avenue, Cascades, Lakeside straight, and them coming down to Knickerbrook, and disappearing off up Clay Hill.
Old 20 May 2016, 21:14 (Ref:3643332)   #6
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's covered my favourite spots, top of Cascades or on the hill overlooking Knickerbrook. But to be honest on the rare day when I am spectating I usually wander all round the circuit to try everywhere. To my mind the only disadvantage of marshalling is being stuck in one place all day.

OTOH I've never tried it at a BTCC meeting when the place is packed solid.

Steve
Old 22 May 2016, 09:47 (Ref:3643580)   #7
spooksman
Rookie

United Kingdom
spooksman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park Spectating

Normally my wife would spectate on the raised section at Knickerbrook on the Hilltop side of the track - that gives a great view all the way down Avenue and around Cascades, along Lakeside, down from Hilltop and through the chicane. However I noticed yesterday that they have now erected a new Grandstand at Knickerbrook just at that place - I guess you'd still be able to pitch up in front of that as it is fairly raised, but space would now be more restricted.

On BTCC days she moves over to the banking at Cascades - as was said, that is near the facilities and in the centre of the track, so good for pit access etc. Remember that they usually put up a HUGE TV screen at Cascades for the BTCC crowds to watch the live coverage, so you won't be able to see down Lakeside unless to get your position 'right'.

I believe there is a pit walkabout on the Sunday and yes, it can be VERY busy, making getting out a bit of a challenge.

I hope they have a great time.
Old 22 May 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3643619)   #8
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks everyone for your responses so far, but please keep them coming. It's 50 years or so since I last visited Oulton, and something tells me that it's changed somewhat in that time. The blast up to the hairpin was almost as good as the Norwich Straight, if only it could have been a bit longer.
Old 23 May 2016, 18:48 (Ref:3643923)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITV 4 will have the best view!
Old 23 May 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3643949)   #10
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
ITV 4 will have the best view!
And it's even better when you've recorded it and can whizz past the boring bits.

Steve
Old 26 May 2016, 16:12 (Ref:3644597)   #11
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses so far, but please keep them coming. It's 50 years or so since I last visited Oulton, and something tells me that it's changed somewhat in that time. The blast up to the hairpin was almost as good as the Norwich Straight, if only it could have been a bit longer.
I've been going there for 50 years or so, as spectator, competitor and (very occasional) marshal, and apart from the Britten's chicane after Shell (which I don't think BTCC use, as they normally use Island) and of course the "complex" at Knicker Brook, I don't think the circuit has changed much......

As said a few more grandstands, and recently the bridge has opened to get over the start straight to get outside Lodge, but all the viewing places are relatively unchanged. Like many above overlooking Cascades / Knicker Brook from either inside or outside the track are my usual places, tho if we are racing a quick nip out of the paddock to watch overlooking Lodge is usually interesting. Inside of Druid's has been opened up to spectating too, now, so really you can get to most parts of what I still regard as one of the UK's best circuits.

Might go there for the GTs this Monday.......
Old 27 May 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3644877)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Can I thank everybody, again, for taking the trouble to reply. It is much appreciated.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3647709)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Thanks again to all who recommended viewing spots.

Spent Saturday getting broiled whilst watching from Cascades on Saturday; we are all now a fashionable lobster red. A decision was take to set up camp early on Sunday morning under a big tree overlooking Hislops, which afforded us great shade and a respite from the heat, whilst also a good spot to view from. All in all, a great weekend apart from watching Lancashire walk all over Yorkshire on Friday evenings 20-20 match at the Old Trafford. (Mind you, it was good fun, and the crowd was lively even if they were somewhat biased.)