Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Dec 2019, 01:52 (Ref:3945484)   #6001
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didnt take you long to change your avatar Will.....
Old 8 Dec 2019, 06:51 (Ref:3945514)   #6002
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
Thanks for finding it & posting it, Gordon : made my day !! MartinH
Wonderful story, Martin!
Old 8 Dec 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3945525)   #6003
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Didnt take you long to change your avatar Will.....
No .
Old 8 Dec 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3945565)   #6004
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
My Avatar has gone seasonal.........
Old 8 Dec 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3945566)   #6005
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Volvo and snow go well together! Will the Stephens family go for the new Fifities series?
Old 8 Dec 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3945570)   #6006
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Volvo and snow go well together! Will the Stephens family go for the new Fifities series?
Luckily that photo wasn’t taken at a race meeting!

Will S can no doubt clarify, but think the family 356 is period F, so in theory, not eligible. (In theory.... ) At any rate, the races are ‘only’ 45 minutes, so just a sprint compared with 60s Endurance......
Old 8 Dec 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3945580)   #6007
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Pleasure Will, you were pleasingly competent, much better than most "arrive and drive" karters I have through the doors. Some really good kart control at times

Here he is at speed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I thought from previous posts that Will was already a great kart driver.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 15:28 (Ref:3945581)   #6008
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I'm ok. Just enjoy it as thats what its all about and try to go as quick I can whilst being mindful of those around and the kart. Always be grateful for whatever one might offer for me to be in and that I'm able to drive a kart.

My dad has now btw made a DVD of my driving including some of my off track excursions.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3945582)   #6009
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
My Avatar has gone seasonal.........
There is a truck under there somewhere
Old 8 Dec 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3945583)   #6010
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I think this was a rather different level of kart, Bob.

I have a winners award from a kart racing series.

That it was merely a company social club evening outing matters not. There were a few quick lads there and I beat them all. They even had to restart the final to try to stop me winning!

I think the next level up may have produced a different result.

Old 8 Dec 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3945586)   #6011
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I think this was a rather different level of kart, Bob.

Yes I until yesterday had done only karting in Buckmore Parks Corporate Sodi RT8 karts that are good fun but aren't really that quick and are not as nimble. Great to race in though. The RT8s are around 50 mph whilst the Junior Rotaxs I think can go to about mid 70s I think although not completely sure and are a lot more nimble and have a greater change of direction.

This 'smiles' definitely sums up my face when on my first lap:. Who knows how quick Seniors are.

When me and my dads go kart might see if Max would like a go maybe. Feels right after he invited me

Just been watching onboards of the SuperKarts. Mind boggling and if I'm correct have been toned down a little.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3945601)   #6012
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>When me and my dads go kart might see if Max would like a go maybe. Feels right after he invited me

Very kind thank you but you've met me now and I probably have the least appropriate screen name here. I struggle to fold my lankiness onto a modern kart, the ones from your dad's era are about two thirds the size. Plus mine have an electric start, none of this running and bumping malarky.

Will be delighted to see you out on the rebuilt beast though.

Bauble, my other customer for the day was a regular Fiesta racer. He'd done corporate karting, this was going to be a walk on the park. I'd broken him before the end of the day, he couldn't believe how brutal it is.

Old 8 Dec 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3945606)   #6013
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>>When me and my dads go kart might see if Max would like a go maybe. Feels right after he invited me

Very kind thank you but you've met me now and I probably have the least appropriate screen name here. I struggle to fold my lankiness onto a modern kart, the ones from your dad's era are about two thirds the size. Plus mine have an electric start, none of this running and bumping malarky.

Will be delighted to see you out on the rebuilt beast though.

Bauble, my other customer for the day was a regular Fiesta racer. He'd done corporate karting, this was going to be a walk on the park. I'd broken him before the end of the day, he couldn't believe how brutal it is.

Oh I see . He mentioned the different start process today when watching my spin Getting into a kart like yours isn't the most graceful of processes. They're probably is an art to it (one I haven't found yet

Even in the kart I was driving when I strung a sequence together at a good pace I was thinking bludy hell. My neck muscles must have doubled that day

At the moment we've got some things still to do and have got to get the travel to and from the test circuit ( Imagine Bayford ) as the trailer hasn't moved in at least 20 years. Odd now as it will be slower.

Couldn't believe how someone managed to gt a tyre on that pole that was blooming high up. Heavens knows
Old 8 Dec 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3945608)   #6014
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
They often get some flack over packaging, but this huge box I received from the well-known on line retailer contained...... one motorsport calendar!
Attached Thumbnails
B7C29335-92C3-4478-BFA0-79915BFC81F5.jpeg  
Old 8 Dec 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3945609)   #6015
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
They often get some flack over packaging, but this huge box I received from the well-known on line retailer contained...... one motorsport calendar!
I've seen enough Amazon parcels to go blue in the face over the years. The packaging and boxing leaves a lot to be desired.

What calendar Mike?
Old 8 Dec 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3945614)   #6016
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Klein Motorsport Classic...... Bit of a luxury but the pics are period black and white, and very cool.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3945624)   #6017
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But you just know that if they had a thin one of those dimensions half the delivery blokes would probably try to fold it over and get it through a letterbox ... something that might be moaned about.

I would guess that if there was in fact, on balance, a cheaper box option (taking into account volume orders vs specials, the choices the packers (or the software) would have to make and the potential for damage in transit, they would use it.

It certainly looks ridiculous, though not quite as ridiculous as the small rugged gift box with one of the scented candles in a glass tumbler inside it - about the size of a pack of 40 AAA batteries - that arrived in a larger box in an even larger box which about the size of 3 or 4 shoeboxes.

At this rate they will never be able to plant and grow the trees fast enough to keep up with demand.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 23:01 (Ref:3945631)   #6018
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[Q

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Max, While I have never raced a car I have done a lot of driving and fancy myself as a very good driver, however, when I entered a kart race evening I was quickly dissolution I was the slowest on the track, and spun a time or two, and truly floundered. This at a recreational kart venue, nothing too serious. I am no one to criticise anyone else's driving. Now with a camera ……….
Old 8 Dec 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3945632)   #6019
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
[Q

Max, While I have never raced a car I have done a lot of driving and fancy myself as a very good driver, however, when I entered a kart race evening I was quickly dissolution I was the slowest on the track, and spun a time or two, and truly floundered. This at a recreational kart venue, nothing too serious. I am no one to criticise anyone else's driving. Now with a camera ……….[/QUOTE]

Ah, you probably got the kart with the broken frame Bob.

Those are the ones that are undriveable at corporate events.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 01:52 (Ref:3945643)   #6020
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Klein Motorsport Classic...... Bit of a luxury but the pics are period black and white, and very cool.
Looks beautiful Mike: http://www.mcklein-calendars.com/mot...-calendar.html

Had to laugh when I saw the features list:
"Extra features: Spiral binding, shrink-wrapped and sent to you in a special cardboard box"
Old 9 Dec 2019, 06:20 (Ref:3945649)   #6021
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Looks beautiful Mike:
Had to laugh when I saw the features list: "Extra features: Spiral binding, shrink-wrapped and sent to you in a special cardboard box"
The Rolls Royce of motorsport calendars, and it is already well packaged before being put into that massive box!

There is an equivalent sailing calendar produced featuring period pics of J Class yachts (think America’s Cup), also all black and white photos. Only one per month but half the cost. Equally impressive if you like elegant sailing yachts (which I do)......
Old 9 Dec 2019, 06:59 (Ref:3945651)   #6022
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Equally impressive if you like elegant sailing yachts (which I do)...... B&W photos add ce je ne sais quoi. Do you still have a Titanic propeller?
Wel, part of I mean…
Old 9 Dec 2019, 07:05 (Ref:3945652)   #6023
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
The Rolls Royce of motorsport calendars, and it is already well packaged before being put into that massive box!

There is an equivalent sailing calendar produced featuring period pics of J Class yachts (think America’s Cup), also all black and white photos. Only one per month but half the cost. Equally impressive if you like elegant sailing yachts (which I do)......
Hehehe Mike, you like quirky and expensive (preferably large engined) Historic Race cars, elegant sailing yachts, and then throw in the odd Spitfire / historically interesting exotic plane...... Im getting the picture.... champagne tastes etc,
(something I think we all suffer from. My Mother is always telling me I have champagne tastes and a beer budget. Look at the menu but dont order the food is another favourite of hers.)

Last edited by E.B; 9 Dec 2019 at 07:10.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 08:13 (Ref:3945654)   #6024
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You should have said if you wanted a fancy calendar Mike - I could have got you a staff discount on one of these. Last few remaining. Note the 'expert driver' - for once I got out from behind the lens!
Attached Thumbnails
CMRT_2020 Calendar_Front_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 9 Dec 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3945655)   #6025
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 9 Dec 2019 at 08:31.