Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2002, 13:54 (Ref:298460)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli keeps Monaco points

Great news for Trulli and Renault, they retain their 4th place from Monaco. www.autosport.com
Old 28 May 2002, 13:56 (Ref:298461)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice one. He drove a good race..
Old 28 May 2002, 15:30 (Ref:298521)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats good news, I'm pleased to hear this, good for JT to get his season underway.
Old 29 May 2002, 00:06 (Ref:298985)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It is interesting to read that the seals are no longer required, but the black box was checked to see whether the content had been changed.
I also note that pit to car telemetry is now permitted. So I ask teh question: Is it possible to have an illegal Launch control program installed in the black box which can then be deleted from the pits via telemetry after the car has started? or in fact, any other illegal software which can then be deleted as the car crosses the finish line?

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 29 May 2002, 00:17 (Ref:298991)   #5
freeze
Rookie

freeze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve Bounce

With so many great hackers in this world, it wouldn't surprise me.

Re-Trulli = a well deserve 3 points although I was expecting a bit more from him following his resaults of the first 2 days.
Old 29 May 2002, 01:30 (Ref:299007)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Hey Freeze, I am not referring to hackers - I am talking about hte team itself installing a launch control that can read the starting grid monitoring system (the one that monitors jump starts) like the one Renault had earlier in the season, and then deleting this program from the pits after the start.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 29 May 2002, 02:15 (Ref:299026)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Valve had an interesting point, but then recently Renault have not been making great starts (Jenson at Monaco especially) so I don't think this is what's happening, though 2 way radio makes me suspect this type of thing. But as there is no real evidence of the team doi ng anything wrong, I am pleased that Jarno keeps the result, he's deserved something all year, but in true Trulli style has had misfortune after misfortune after misfortune.
Old 29 May 2002, 07:17 (Ref:299127)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About time Trulli has some good luck for once...that bloke is the Johnny Herbert of today.

In fact, both Fisi, and Trulli, perhaps the unluckiest drivers on the grid did well last week - remarkable.
Old 29 May 2002, 08:50 (Ref:299211)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
VB

This is catered for by the requirement for the FIA to be able to look back at telemetry and verify the input that triggers the launch. In other words you have to be able to "record" the process of pressing the button, and prove that this corresponds to the moment that the car did indeed move-off. This is a check required to prevent some clever little thing that we all haven't thought of yet!
Old 29 May 2002, 12:10 (Ref:299419)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Oh so Benetton got off after having clearly broken the rules. Its a conspiracy... they are getting favouritism from the FIA, there is a different set of rules for them... , blah blah blah
Old 29 May 2002, 12:12 (Ref:299422)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see some luck finally swing Trulli's way. It was a wonderful drive from him on Sunday and would have been a shame to have robbed him of what he really earned from a weekend of speed and skill.
Old 29 May 2002, 12:54 (Ref:299463)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
... recently Renault have not been making great starts (Jenson at Monaco especially).
Mike Gascyone's explanation from the ITV F1 live interview:

"Jenson jumped the start in Monaco and then backed off, hoping he wouldn't get a penalty for it. When he then tried to restart his start, he did it in a way that meant the safety systems wouldn't allow him to get going. Really, he got the worst of both worlds as he dropped to the back and got a penalty anyway - he should have kept going. The best thing is not to jump the start really."
Old 29 May 2002, 16:09 (Ref:299580)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best thing is not to jump the start really. -- absolutely.

Being a confirmed conspiracy nut, I am forced to wonder if, pre-Austria, there might have been some Ferrari pressure put on The Powers That Be to DQ Trulli so Rubens could move up to 6th place. They're probably so mad at Rubens now that they encouraged the PTB to rule in FAVOUR of Trulli.

P.S. I'm kidding.
Old 30 May 2002, 02:28 (Ref:300009)   #14
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very surprised that no one is jumping up and down about this.

When this happened to McLaren they lost their constructors points. McLaren proved that nothing illegal or immoral happened to the box missing the seal, and from my understanding this is the same situation that Trulli was in. Renault should have lost their constructers points but Trulli retain his.

And where are the cries of conspiracy from all the Ferrari and MS disliker’s (haters is a strong word). The Renault electronic guru (I forget his name) is the same person who was in charge of the electronics on the 1994 & 1995 Benetton and all the Ferraris up till 1999. Also looking at the starts from the 2000 and 2001 Renaults I am very surprised about their being no accusations of cheating levied in Renaults direction.
Old 30 May 2002, 08:42 (Ref:300127)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there is a difference between the Mclaren case and the Renault one.
Quote:
from F1.com

A statement from the FIA today further explained that "certain components are routinely checked at the beginning of the season to ensure they have no illegitimate function. A seal is then placed on the unit to confirm that it has been checked.

"There is no regulation requiring the seal to be in place (as was the case formerly with programmable electronic units forming part of the engine management system), but its absence means that the unit has to be re-checked. In the case of this particular component, the checks could only be carried out away from the circuit, rather like checking an engine."
Old 31 May 2002, 00:37 (Ref:300957)   #16
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for clearing that up Glen, it still surprises me that no one clicked to the Ferrari link.

Shows that the bigger teams get the spotlight and get hit with accusations they do not deserve, Imagine if McLaren, Williams or Ferrari where missing the seal, the forum would be posting away like crazy.