Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Sep 2022, 12:33 (Ref:4127757)   #301
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
RS3 uses a transverse engine with a Haldex rear diff... so would only be able to run FWD in BTCC. You need to look at the A4 for a "RWD" BTCC Audi as it the smallest Audi with a longitudinal mounted engine. Other options are jag, merc c class or alfa guilia.
Oh yes I hadn't realised that.

Even as a FWD car though it would be cool to see one in the BTCC.

I do hope someone takes a gamble on a Jaguar XE, Mercedes-Benz C-Class or Alfa Giulia. Would definitely add some more premium brands to the championship and I would imagine look quite cool on track as well.
Old 28 Sep 2022, 12:57 (Ref:4127758)   #302
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I had a feeling Shaun was still involved. MB Motorsport are really just a rebrand of AMD.
AMD is/was a team. The MB car is not run by AMD any more than MB.

Nonetheless I wouldn't be surprised to see MB want to add a second entry for 2023, most probably for Jewiss, unless he wants to go Supercup.

Last edited by peebee2; 28 Sep 2022 at 13:05.
Old 28 Sep 2022, 13:07 (Ref:4127760)   #303
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
You need to look at the A4 for a "RWD" BTCC Audi as it the smallest Audi with a longitudinal mounted engine. Other options are jag, merc c class or alfa guilia.
[pedant]

The A5 Sportback is 5mm shorter, 4mm narrower and 42mm lower than the A4.

[/pedant]

The A5 Sportback would make a stylish addition to the grid I feel.

Although given current showroom trends, we're probably going to end up with a Mazda CX-60 representing the future of RWD in the BTCC
Old 28 Sep 2022, 13:13 (Ref:4127761)   #304
AmD Tuning
Rookie

AmD Tuning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm not sure of the specifics - but I thought Pete Osborne's involvement at Motorbase meant that Sam was always likely to be part of the deal.

In respect to them getting a new set of engineering - Shaun Hollamby is still involved with the MB Motorsport team (AFAIK). He tweeted only today about 'our engineer' (Craig) being in hospital and his profile describes himself as 'Team Manager @MB_Motorsport' (although he tagged the wrong MB account ).

MB Motorsport has run a 2-car team successfully before in 2020 with Hollamby and Blundell at the helm - I'm sure they could do the same again.
Thank you for the prompt ref the wrong MB account!!
Old 28 Sep 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4127762)   #305
AmD Tuning
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Would that mean an influx of 'Meeting with Shaun' tweets clogging up the airwaves?
Careful what you wish for!!
Old 28 Sep 2022, 13:56 (Ref:4127763)   #306
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD Tuning View Post
Thank you for the prompt ref the wrong MB account!!
and hopefully Craig is starting to feel better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD Tuning View Post
Careful what you wish for!!
You know that that now means - because the comment referred to 'clogging up the airwaves' that will soon make its way onto a table with an AmD entry sponsored by Airwaves as confirmed!!!!
Old 29 Sep 2022, 10:04 (Ref:4127823)   #307
AmD Tuning
Rookie

Quote:
and hopefully Craig is starting to feel better?

You know that that now means - because the comment referred to 'clogging up the airwaves' that will soon make its way onto a table with an AmD entry sponsored by Airwaves as confirmed!!!!
Yes Craig is feeling much better thanks and will be back on the "cans" at Brands!

Or it could be an AmD entry sponsored by a Dutch shoe manufacturer?!

Last edited by AmD Tuning; 29 Sep 2022 at 10:12.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 11:16 (Ref:4127835)   #308
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
From today's Autosport:

4 support series for 2023 - Porsche Cup, F4, Mini Challenge and TBA. Forth slot likely to rotate between different series, at least for next year

Gow on a new junior series: "If someone comes to me with a new junior package for 2024, the right one will get a slot."

Motorbase looking at RWD car. Suggestions that they have already submitted an Audi proposal in a BTCC teams meeting. Pete Osbourne: "We’ve been looking at Mercedes, Alfa Romeo and Audi – there are three. We did look at the Jaguar as well, but it just looks like it will be controversial.”
Old 29 Sep 2022, 11:36 (Ref:4127837)   #309
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post

Even as a FWD car though it would be cool to see one in the BTCC.
I'm sure it would be as terrible at the FWD Audi S3 that Jake Hill miraculously managed to wrestle to the front on a few occasions!
Old 29 Sep 2022, 12:19 (Ref:4127840)   #310
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
From today's Autosport:

4 support series for 2023 - Porsche Cup, F4, Mini Challenge and TBA. Forth slot likely to rotate between different series, at least for next year

Gow on a new junior series: "If someone comes to me with a new junior package for 2024, the right one will get a slot."

Motorbase looking at RWD car. Suggestions that they have already submitted an Audi proposal in a BTCC teams meeting. Pete Osbourne: "We’ve been looking at Mercedes, Alfa Romeo and Audi – there are three. We did look at the Jaguar as well, but it just looks like it will be controversial.”
Hopefully with one less support, we'll get to see more races of the others...

Very interesting & exciting re Motorbase, wouldn't have expected they'd move away from the Focus whilst it's still very competitive. Hopefully if they are replaced they are picked up elsewhere on the grid.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4127844)   #311
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More on the Motorbase potential car switch
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...cer-/10376003/
plus:
-Sutton and Cammish confirmed for '23 and '24
- NAPA on board for another 3 years
Old 29 Sep 2022, 13:23 (Ref:4127845)   #312
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post

When it comes to the BTCC, announcing a multi-year deal usually means that combination won't be happening.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 13:31 (Ref:4127846)   #313
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
More on the Motorbase potential car switch
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...cer-/10376003/
plus:
- NAPA on board for another 3 years
I wonder, would a potential new car be just two for NAPA, whilst Apec continue with the Focuses.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 13:52 (Ref:4127849)   #314
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Excited to see what car Motorbase decide to run. Audi would be great to have back, so I'm kind of hoping that is the case
Old 29 Sep 2022, 14:10 (Ref:4127855)   #315
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I would hope that would be the case.

Quote:
Very interesting & exciting re Motorbase, wouldn't have expected they'd move away from the Focus whilst it's still very competitive. Hopefully if they are replaced they are picked up elsewhere on the grid.
It is a surprise, but to be the best you've got to evolve I guess. Sutton and Carrozza's experience with RWD may be the best way to get more titles, and while Cammish hasn't raced an RWD touring car, you don't become a 3x Porsche Carrera Cup GB champion without being quick with a RWD car...

Building 4 new cars is doable, especially for a larger team like Motorbase. Personally, I can't see Motorbase trying to run two different cars next year, but I guess we won't know until probably December-January time of their full plans.

As the Focus is a relatively 'recent' car (2020), I wonder if a team like Power Maxed could be tempted to buy a couple to replace the ageing and largely uncompetitive Astras?
Old 29 Sep 2022, 14:23 (Ref:4127857)   #316
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
As the Focus is a relatively 'recent' car (2020), I wonder if a team like Power Maxed could be tempted to buy a couple to replace the ageing and largely uncompetitive Astras?
Or MB Motorsport for their 2-car entry?
Old 29 Sep 2022, 14:30 (Ref:4127858)   #317
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Apparently part of the reason for reducing the number of support series was to reduce the time pressures and chance of cancelled races. Other than Porsches, series often tried to run triple-header weekends.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 14:47 (Ref:4127860)   #318
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Apparently part of the reason for reducing the number of support series was to reduce the time pressures and chance of cancelled races. Other than Porsches, series often tried to run triple-header weekends.
Sorry, I meant more races shown on TV and less unwatchable, than more run!
Old 29 Sep 2022, 16:08 (Ref:4127877)   #319
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Would be nice to see the Scottish lads in their Mini series at Knockhill and possibly the journey South to Croft and/ or Oulton. Just dreaming, always put on a good show when up in bonny Scotland.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4127916)   #320
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[pedant]

The A5 Sportback is 5mm shorter, 4mm narrower and 42mm lower than the A4.

[/pedant]

The A5 Sportback would make a stylish addition to the grid I feel.
Really, always looks longer in the flesh... Learn something everyday....but yeah would look really nice. And I wonder with it being so "slippery" that Motorbase may have looked at it for their "RWD Audi" model mentioned in the autosport article.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 14:20 (Ref:4127956)   #321
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Just a thought, so please indulge me for a moment:

What configuration would be expected if a car was entered that only had an EV variant?

Take the MG4 as an example. Ignoring the length (we have already seen exemptions), if a team wanted to enter the MG4 with the M-Sport engine - would they be permitted as RWD because that is where the road going car delivers the power?
Old 30 Sep 2022, 14:58 (Ref:4127966)   #322
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just a thought, so please indulge me for a moment:

What configuration would be expected if a car was entered that only had an EV variant?

Take the MG4 as an example. Ignoring the length (we have already seen exemptions), if a team wanted to enter the MG4 with the M-Sport engine - would they be permitted as RWD because that is where the road going car delivers the power?
ev-only based cars are not possible because the base road car has to have a petrol or diesel engine

(a porsche taycan for example couldnt be used because it does not have an ice)
Old 30 Sep 2022, 15:55 (Ref:4127972)   #323
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
ev-only based cars are not possible because the base road car has to have a petrol or diesel engine

(a porsche taycan for example couldnt be used because it does not have an ice)
Thanks - do you have a link to where that is defined?

I remember the regulations saying something about if you use your own engine it had to be from the same 'family' and have over 2,500 units produced. There was also a line about having the choice of using the TOCA engine as a preference, or if there was no suitable 2L engine in the 'family'.
I just can't find a reference that specified that the car being homologated must have been available with an ICE.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 16:07 (Ref:4127977)   #324
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks - do you have a link to where that is defined?

I remember the regulations saying something about if you use your own engine it had to be from the same 'family' and have over 2,500 units produced. There was also a line about having the choice of using the TOCA engine as a preference, or if there was no suitable 2L engine in the 'family'.
I just can't find a reference that specified that the car being homologated must have been available with an ICE.
technical regulation 2.2

Large-scale series production touring cars with a minimum of 4 seats, with 4 or 5 doors and of a minimum (nominal) overall length of 4.40 metres and a production petrol or diesel engine capacity (nominal) of 1.4 to 2.5 litres, and having the engine installed in the front part of the car, driving either the front or rear wheels and steering the two front wheels only. A large-scale series production 4WD touring car will be considered only if an equivalent 2WD version does not exist. A 2 or 3 door series production touring car complies with this definition if the silhouette is identical to the 4 or 5 door version.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 16:13 (Ref:4127979)   #325
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
technical regulation 2.2

Large-scale series production touring cars with a minimum of 4 seats, with 4 or 5 doors and of a minimum (nominal) overall length of 4.40 metres and a production petrol or diesel engine capacity (nominal) of 1.4 to 2.5 litres, and having the engine installed in the front part of the car, driving either the front or rear wheels and steering the two front wheels only. A large-scale series production 4WD touring car will be considered only if an equivalent 2WD version does not exist. A 2 or 3 door series production touring car complies with this definition if the silhouette is identical to the 4 or 5 door version.