Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 May 2022, 13:22 (Ref:4112225)   #51
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Would the Fosters layout be any better than Island?

Probably not as you lose overtaking opportunity the Island hairpin provides. The advantage is does have is that the spectators situated at the most popular vantage points, the inside/outside of Knickerbrook, see more of the action as the races have more laps. The obvious downside is with the large crowds the BTCC typically gets at Oulton, the condensing of that crowd into a smaller area is going to make the existing probelms even worse. I can't see the BTCC going back to the Fosters layout in the near future.
Old 31 May 2022, 13:54 (Ref:4112231)   #52
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be good to see the Silverstone International or even try out the 'Long National' which uses full Maggotts & Becketts corners, with a sharp right to 'The loop', which feeds back onto Wellington Straight. This layout means the International layout then can't be used at all over the full weekend, so potentially costs TOCA more £££
Old 31 May 2022, 13:55 (Ref:4112232)   #53
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The last time they used Fosters, the racing was awful. I think Mr Gow has decided they won't return to that layout again.
yes , you probably have higher chances seeing Jordan at WSR than using that layout again
Old 31 May 2022, 14:08 (Ref:4112236)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm sure Jordan would be back, but not at WSR. However I wouldn't rule out them using different layouts at Oulton
Old 31 May 2022, 15:13 (Ref:4112252)   #55
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see a new layout that has not been used in a while.
They should try to utilise the other layouts on other circuits, The 10th round is also going to be a 2nd round on a existing circuit so why not change layouts for that round

It would be nice to have a new circuit to the calendar. Unless someone builds a brand new circuit or upgrades say Pembrey or Anglesey to the Standards required nowhere else the BTCC could go

Unless someone temporary circuit on an airfield or something

Utilize Other Layout more.

You know at Snetterton they have generally tried different things. We have had different qualifying formats we had that longer race several years back

Would it be possible to race on different layouts on the same weekend
say at Oulton Park you have Race 1 and 2 on the Island circuit while race 3 uses the shorter Fosters circuit
Old 31 May 2022, 16:10 (Ref:4112261)   #56
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
It would be good to see the Silverstone International or even try out the 'Long National' which uses full Maggotts & Becketts corners, with a sharp right to 'The loop', which feeds back onto Wellington Straight. This layout means the International layout then can't be used at all over the full weekend, so potentially costs TOCA more £££
makes no difference to toca
toca dont pay for the circuit
the circuit pays toca
Old 31 May 2022, 16:12 (Ref:4112262)   #57
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could always do knockhill anti clockwise, gow is petrified of 30 cars at full chat into a downhill hairpin, also downhill into clarks and driving of a cliff at chicane
Old 31 May 2022, 16:29 (Ref:4112269)   #58
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoli View Post
Would it be possible to race on different layouts on the same weekend
say at Oulton Park you have Race 1 and 2 on the Island circuit while race 3 uses the shorter Fosters circuit
Aside from the logistical issues of redeploying marshals, I suspect there may some MSUK regulations that prevent a single race meeting being run on multiple layout.

Only time I can think that a meeting would have been held on multiple layout would have been at Rockingham where they had Ascar/Pickups on the oval and other races on the infield layout. The difference there was that you didn't have the same series using both layouts during the day.
Old 31 May 2022, 16:41 (Ref:4112274)   #59
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Aside from the logistical issues of redeploying marshals, I suspect there may some MSUK regulations that prevent a single race meeting being run on multiple layout.

Only time I can think that a meeting would have been held on multiple layout would have been at Rockingham where they had Ascar/Pickups on the oval and other races on the infield layout. The difference there was that you didn't have the same series using both layouts during the day.
Technically this happened last weekend at the Nurburgring with some of the supports taking place on the GP loop. But a bit different to the BTCC's situation!

Also would be a bit annoying if you pitched up your day's setup down by hairpin, to find you'll be watching an empty road come the third race!
Old 31 May 2022, 17:51 (Ref:4112289)   #60
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Donington is one of the most boring tracks on the calender along with Silverstone. No idea why they'd want to go there twice.
Old 31 May 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4112290)   #61
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Donington is one of the most boring tracks on the calender along with Silverstone. No idea why they'd want to go there twice.
In my opinion, it's the least boring.
Old 31 May 2022, 18:13 (Ref:4112291)   #62
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That's hilarious.
Old 31 May 2022, 18:57 (Ref:4112300)   #63
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
That's hilarious.
Why is it? Follow the leader after turn 1. Every single time they go there. But then of course you will be biased you will be from the north and as long as it conveniences you everything is fine.
Old 31 May 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4112303)   #64
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Brands Hatch is my favourite track but if there is one track on the BTCC calendar I would be most surprised to see called boring it would be Donington. I would say it possibly produces the best racing of any track on the calendar. I think it's great that there will be two races there next year, particularly on the long layout which I don't think has been used since the early 2000s, as it's much better than having two races on the same track.

Hopefully the early Snetterton date is just for next year, as I would prefer Snetterton to be on the hottest day of the year like normal
Old 31 May 2022, 19:50 (Ref:4112311)   #65
houston
Rookie

houston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
In my opinion, it's the least boring.
Same here. Glad to see two visits there next year.
Old 31 May 2022, 20:12 (Ref:4112314)   #66
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Why is it? Follow the leader after turn 1. Every single time they go there. But then of course you will be biased you will be from the north and as long as it conveniences you everything is fine.
I'm an armchair fan, I don't care about geographical locations.

I just don't quite understand your point. I've found it to be an exciting circuit, especially with the reprofiled chicane.
Old 31 May 2022, 20:35 (Ref:4112317)   #67
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news about Donington. I feel like having two different layouts of any circuit is an improvement on two identical Thruxton weekends. I just wish we could have some longer races. The Diamond Double was an interesting taste of that for one circuit.
Old 31 May 2022, 21:35 (Ref:4112323)   #68
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Follow the leader after turn 1. Every single time they go there.
So far this season. Changes for the lead:

Donington Park - R1 - 1
Donington Park - R2 - 1
Donington Park - R3 - 0

Brands Indy - R1 - 1
Brands Indy - R2 - 0
Brands Indy - R3 - 1

Thruxton - R1 - 0
Thruxton - R2 - 0
Thruxton - R3 - 0

If changes of position is what you are after - check the lap charts from each round so far. You'll see that Donington Park is the most open track they race on.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 09:24 (Ref:4112360)   #69
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We've had a good season so far. Not every race is gonna have a change for the lead. I expected to see it at Donington, but didn't expect it at Brands and Thruxton. I'm grateful for the action we have had
Old 1 Jun 2022, 13:26 (Ref:4112390)   #70
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
My only gripe with Donington is the increased height of the fences that have sprung up in the last few years. In terms of a layout for driving, I think its fabulous.

I did a bike ride thing for charity there in 2019 where you got to ride around it. I thought when I got to the Craners I could just freewheel and gain a ton of speed. Maybe because of the rubber on the track or the wind, but it was like hitting a brick wall, and gained hardly any speed at all down towards the Old Hairpin, as a result that climb up to McLeans was painful. It was a really beautiful August summers evening though, it was about 25 degrees.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4112416)   #71
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

I also believe that the circuit layout used has to be licenced for every event by the MSA. (I'm sure this used to be the case in days gone by which is why I nearly typed 'the RAC' instead of 'the MSA'!). This would therefore mean that two of these licences would also be required for the meeting.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:00 (Ref:4112423)   #72
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No such thing as the MSA now. It's MSUK.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:18 (Ref:4112426)   #73
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I also believe that the circuit layout used has to be licenced for every event by the MSA. (I'm sure this used to be the case in days gone by which is why I nearly typed 'the RAC' instead of 'the MSA'!). This would therefore mean that two of these licences would also be required for the meeting.
I was originally going to suggest that licences would be an issue but I'm not sure that is the case. Most (if not all) TOCA meetings need an International permit, a National permit, and an Interclub permit.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:20 (Ref:4112427)   #74
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
No such thing as the MSA now. It's MSUK.
OK, thanks for the correction & proving that I am showing my age even more than I thought I was!
Old 1 Jun 2022, 18:20 (Ref:4112450)   #75
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK, thanks for the correction & proving that I am showing my age even more than I thought I was!
Don’t worry I am sure most knew what you meant….