Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Jul 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2252021)   #326
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Autoextremist.com has a bit about the reorganisations at GM in their "Fumes" section, they say that Corvette Racing's Le Mans appearances might be axed as they consume 1/3rd of the Corvette Racing budget...
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2252079)   #327
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw that, and that option is beyond stupid IMO.

Why race at all in ALMS as a factory against no competition if you're not running LM? Porsche is only doing it right now to sell Spyders and (presumably) to prep for the eventual P1, and at least they have serious competition. Corvette Racing has no such plans.

I thought the autoextremist was very interesting, so I'm going to quote it here:

Quote:
It appears that a direct result of the additional juice necessary to make the Tony Stewart deal happen is that Corvette Racing may take a big hit. One scenario already on the table is that Corvette's annual appearance at the 24 Hours of Le Mans might be in jeopardy, which would be a complete travesty because that one single race is the raison d'etre for the entire Corvette Racing program.

The global image enhancement and benefits to GM, Chevrolet and the Corvette brand because of the success of Corvette Racing at that one race - the most prestigious endurance road racing event in the world - is almost incalculable. But it takes a lot of money to present a front line two-car GT effort at Le Mans, and it is rumored that 1/3 of Corvette Racing's annual budget is consumed at that one race. So that's why the discussion is on the table.

It doesn't help that the internal NASCAR cheerleaders within GM (at least the few who are left) regularly dismiss Corvette Racing as an afterthought, but the reality of the situation is that Corvette racing's annual budget is approximately equal to a top one-car effort in NASCAR's Sprint Cup, so the arguments to decimate Corvette Racing fall flat in the Big Picture of things. As we like to say around here, this is a "developing" situation, and the next 60 days will determine Corvette racing's fate for 2009 and beyond.
http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1

So that puts the Corvette yearly budget at about $10m, of which a third is for LM itself. Considering the annual budget for the R10 (2007) was about $15m, you have to wonder why GT1 remains the focus - although it becomes clear that CR has to play politics with the pro-NASCAR board room and remain a "production based" program to justify that sort of expenditure.

Sad, really. GM is missing a huge opportunity to refocus their image as an energy-effective car producer, IMO.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2252082)   #328
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR strikes again. It would be wise, as the article states, for GM to continue its factory sports car racing involvement in some capacity. Their program is extremely successful and they sell ALOT of customer cars and road cars because of it. Far more important than Tony Stewart driving a spec car with a Chevy logo on the front of it, IMO. An evo prototype might go even further to bolstering the brand's international stature...
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2252094)   #329
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
NASCAR strikes again. It would be wise, as the article states, for GM to continue its factory sports car racing involvement in some capacity. Their program is extremely successful and they sell ALOT of customer cars and road cars because of it. Far more important than Tony Stewart driving a spec car with a Chevy logo on the front of it, IMO. An evo prototype might go even further to bolstering the brand's international stature...
Chevy doesn't really care squat about LeMans. It a big thing to forum members but means NOTHING to car sales.
NASCAR is a sales brochure to millions of possible buyers, LeMans is a sales device to few hundred at best, you do the math.

LeMans is as important to the US car buying public as the Indy 500 is to Europeans, and the bottom line finally has possibly killed feel good, but unimportant things.

A p1 one car would be as logical as peeing on a camp fire, with the Camaro coming on-line, you MAY see some sort of push for that car, because they want to sell cars, race in France.`
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2252100)   #330
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Chevy doesn't really care squat about LeMans. It a big thing to forum members but means NOTHING to car sales.
NASCAR is a sales brochure to millions of possible buyers, LeMans is a sales device to few hundred at best, you do the math.

LeMans is as important to the US car buying public as the Indy 500 is to Europeans, and the bottom line finally has possibly killed feel good, but unimportant things.

A p1 one car would be as logical as peeing on a camp fire, with the Camaro coming on-line, you MAY see some sort of push for that car, because they want to sell cars, race in France.`

Balderdash!

L.P.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2252108)   #331
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Corvette sales 2007: 36,518

How many CoT's did GM sell in 2007? How about cars with carburetors?

The disconnect that exists between the NASCARmobile and the GM product line will ultimately be the NASCAR program's downfall. What I see from the GM PR is this:

"Spending for non-product programs will also be significantly reduced, while powertrain spending will be increased to support the development of alternative propulsion and fuel economy technologies and small displacement engines."

I, being not much of a NASCAR fan, would classify NASCAR as "non-product."
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Jul 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2252161)   #332
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Corvette sales 2007: 36,518

How many CoT's did GM sell in 2007? How about cars with carburetors?

The disconnect that exists between the NASCARmobile and the GM product line will ultimately be the NASCAR program's downfall. What I see from the GM PR is this:

"Spending for non-product programs will also be significantly reduced, while powertrain spending will be increased to support the development of alternative propulsion and fuel economy technologies and small displacement engines."

I, being not much of a NASCAR fan, would classify NASCAR as "non-product."
The same number of Chevy COTs were sold as were Ford, Dodge and Toyota.

IF there was no gain from it, TOYOTA would NEVER have wasted the time.

The infatuation here with LeMans approaches near legendary levels, but Detroit, goes where there are gains to be made and it ain't in France or by some contrived feel good greenie machine.

How many street Corvettes used the induction system used on the GT1 car, or transmission in the GT1 car or....
As much as I wish Detroit would tell the little France boy to take a leap, it is not going to happen until NASCAR starts showing continual decline; at the same time the Chevy Camaro is coming and going head to head with the Mustang and Challenger. THAT is where one might see some major movement in the future both in marketing and possibly a race series.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2252170)   #333
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Then why do they waste their time and billions of dollars to be backmarkers in Formula 1? There is very little to be gained, if anything, from a manufacturer running an F1 team. They are in F1 to attempt to beat Honda. Much like they are in NASCAR to beat Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Even though these cars have about as much to do with road-going vehicles as George W. Bush has to do with Mensa.

Toyota is trying to make a point that they can beat American auto manufacturers at their own game. That is why they are in NASCAR.

Chevy needs to make the smart decision...last two ALMS races I attended (Petit Le Mans '07 and Sebring '08), the Corvette Corral was overflowing with enthusiasts. And crowds in front of their workspace in the paddock were not to be competed with, by anyone. They are a major draw (probably the biggest draw) for the ALMS.

Last edited by mattcat; 16 Jul 2008 at 20:45.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2252171)   #334
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
The same number of Chevy COTs were sold as were Ford, Dodge and Toyota.

The infatuation here with LeMans approaches near legendary levels, but Detroit, goes where there are gains to be made and it ain't in France or by some contrived feel good greenie machine.
Infatuation with Le Mans? Due respect, Bob, did you check what this forum is? Seriously.

Detroit hasn't been going to NASCAR to make gains. They've gone out of inertia for the last decade. People such as Peter DeLorenzo have been banging on the irrelevance of NASCAR for a long time, and now we'll see if they were right.

NASCAR as a marketing machine is pretty good, but not necessarily for the automotive industry.

Le Mans has relevance to the world (and its current economic and energy-focused climate), but it's not nearly as popular as NASCAR or Formula One, and I recognize that - but marketing is all about using the opportunities in front of you, and I see a whole lot more upside in Le Mans style racing than I do in NASCAR. Honda, it would seem, agrees. I guess we'll see if they were right, or if Toyota was.

-Bill James
Old 16 Jul 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2252193)   #335
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something new has popped up. More info in the GT rules.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1078/1036/FREE

Wonder if the current C6Rs will be moved or develped slightly for the new LMP1 Evo rules?
Old 16 Jul 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2252219)   #336
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Wonder if the current C6Rs will be moved or develped slightly for the new LMP1 Evo rules?
I like that GT possibility, knowing that it will have warts, and probably a lot, it still makes GT cars closer to prod.
I am guessing it might be more like old gr.4 or maybe a cross between gr.4 & 5.

Time for the IMSA to bring back AAGT and tell the ACO if you have a class for us we will come, if not, we will survive much better without you.
Bob
PS--Unless they give a super mod. GT1 a whole lot of horse power and tire, it would be a waste of time.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2252220)   #337
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Well I have to say what info?? Just read the second paragraph's first sentence. If that is an example of the person writing the article's knowledge of Sports Car Racing, I would put no merit in any of it!

L.P.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2252221)   #338
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish IMSA would take back the AAGT cars. They are killing my Florida freinds in the NASA races.

and Lane you know the info that came out after the LM24, nothing really knew. Just ppl have to read it 4 or 6 times to get an idea.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2254700)   #339
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for being a hour late, and a dollar short..

An insider of Corvette Racing has whispered, that there will be an all new project out late this year from GM and Corvette. Mostly, we ofcourse think of LMP1, and all that.

But; I dont know, if it has any connection to the pictures being leaked, of a car looking like a C7 concept?

But if the pro-Corvette Racing wants to keep their yellow wonders alive, we need to do something about the two Vettes racing themselves in the ALMS. It is only a matter of time, before time will do what GM is thinking of for a long time. Sadly..

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 20 Jul 2008 at 18:10.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2254706)   #340
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
I wish IMSA would take back the AAGT cars. They are killing my Florida freinds in the NASA races.
Just how?

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 20 Jul 2008 at 18:17.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2255213)   #341
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Aslak Vind
Rookie
Copenhagen

I know one of the DBR9 owners, who have leased his car to Aston Martin Racing, as a workscar. And he told me, that the Le Mans 2008 was the last DBR9 works event. After that AMR didnt want to lease his car anymore after 3 full years of racing, and he was free to race it with whoever he wants, as a privateer outfit.

There not much doubt in the paddock, that the Lola Aston Martin program is a "toe in the water" for next year. It is a fact, that there just up to Le Mans was sold yet another Lola Aston Martin to the Charouz team, so now they have two LMP1 Lola Astons.

At the moment, I guess that Prodrive is evaluating data, AND awaiting the new ACO regulations, to level out the petrol/diesel advantage. But the DBR9 worksdays are over.

Aslak Vind

I took this quote from the Bell motorsports thread , so as not to get *******ed !!!

Where exactly does this leave Corvette Racing's GT1 campaign , who were already in doubt about racing against themselves this year . As the above post mentions it could very well be the last appearance of the MAR team in GT1 .
Old 21 Jul 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2255234)   #342
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
fish88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you could kinda expect that, because they wouldn't sell any current DBR9's any more with the upcoming regulation changes. And it wouldn't have had any glory if they won from a team like LAA.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2255282)   #343
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Where exactly does this leave Corvette Racing's GT1 campaign , who were already in doubt about racing against themselves this year . As the above post mentions it could very well be the last appearance of the AMR team in GT1 .
More pertinently I feel is where does it leave GT1 as a whole? Much as I love the 'Vettes I find it difficult to believe that P&M would want another season of racing themselves and then winning a hollow lm GT1 victory, probably only against Luc Alphand and a few tired DBR9's. It was only a couple of years ago that the GT1 winner finished comfortably inside the top 6, now with the massive resurgance of prototype quality the class winning Aston was 13th overall, even after a massivevely competitive battle! Probably stating the obvious for many on here but with no works entries the class would die on it's feet at LM, doubt if the winner would finish in front of the leading GT2 car TBH.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 14:22 (Ref:2255318)   #344
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I understand correctly that the Corvette Racing Team drivers distinguished themselves by beating and banging on each other through a red flag at pit out and were rewarded with 7 minute penalty box visits at Mid-Ohio this past weekend? If so, GM better find something more productive for P&M to do; obviously the "Racing to Create a Marketing Footprint" exercise is getting a bit boring for the boys.

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 21 Jul 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2255327)   #345
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, They Did!

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 21 Jul 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2255409)   #346
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I was watching the 'vettes ride each other out of the pits at mid ohio, and the near contact last week at lime rock I began to wonder why we haven't been seeing this all season, or last season for that matter. They say they are always racing each other, but in the past they seemed more well behaved.
I'm wondering if the team knows that the days of the GT1 Corvette are numbered, so they are just really having fun now, and trying to put on a show for the fans.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2255420)   #347
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthe82
More pertinently I feel is where does it leave GT1 as a whole? Much as I love the 'Vettes I find it difficult to believe that P&M would want another season of racing themselves and then winning a hollow lm GT1 victory, probably only against Luc Alphand and a few tired DBR9's. It was only a couple of years ago that the GT1 winner finished comfortably inside the top 6, now with the massive resurgance of prototype quality the class winning Aston was 13th overall, even after a massivevely competitive battle! Probably stating the obvious for many on here but with no works entries the class would die on it's feet at LM, doubt if the winner would finish in front of the leading GT2 car TBH.
It's Corvetes move, P1 or GT2, they just need to give us a hint.

It's crunch time in the next month or two.

Quote:
I'm wondering if the team knows that the days of the GT1 Corvette are numbered, so they are just really having fun now, and trying to put on a show for the fans.
I agree, preparing for Le Mans is no longer relelevant, all they have left is the E85 talk.

Last edited by JAG; 21 Jul 2008 at 18:04.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2255435)   #348
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb
I agree, I think Jan Magnussen hinted that an announcement is coming regarding a new project. Right now, things are just for fun.

DK
Old 21 Jul 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2255449)   #349
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
I agree, I think Jan Magnussen hinted that an announcement is coming regarding a new project. Right now, things are just for fun.

DK
That is correct, Jan even confirmed it in a press realease..

More or less
Old 21 Jul 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2255479)   #350
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly that seems to be concurrent with the rumblings that we all have been hearing. Good for them to go enjoy themselves, though - they seem to be having a blast on track and off, and don't spend time griping or fretting over the present lack of competition. I think they know they'll have some soon enough