Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Sep 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2954853)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 5 - Pre 93 Touring cars

Starters - 15
Classified - 15
Duration - 20 mins

Sponsored by SVG Motorsport, this was a BMW dominated race. It was the older E30 M3 (11) of Roger Stanford which grabbed the lead initially, pulling away from a squabbling threesome of E36 M3's. When Lawrie Dunster, finally annexed 2nd place, his proved to be the be quickest car (65) out there and eventually caught Stanford. However, a mistake in the Mountain on the penultimate lap cost him, and allowed Stanford sufficient breathing space to hold on and win by 1.3 secs. David Hickton was a comfortable 3rd (46) once he, too, had overtaken Edward Bourne (44):-

1) E30 leads 3 x E36s out of Charlies on the first lap
2) Mark Osbourne's Mitsubishi Starion (3 - 7th)
3) David Scriven's Toyota Supra Turbo (10 - 8th), with a gap over the second half of the field
4) Roger Stanford held on for a fine win
5) A distinctly different shape to grace this field! Phil Waller's Alfa 75 (70 - 13th)
6) David Howard's Jaguar XJ12 (55) held 5th early on, but had dropped to 6th at the end
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8348wb.jpg   IMG_8367wb.jpg   IMG_8403wb.jpg  

IMG_8406wb.jpg   IMG_8416wb.jpg   IMG_8426wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Sep 2011 at 08:26.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2954859)   #77
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 5 - Pre 93 Touring cars (2)

1) Simon Lelou's Rover Tomcat (16 - 9th) leads Ken Selfe's Honda Civic (88). I assume Selfe had a 'moment' or a mechanical ailment since he is recorded as having finished 15th
2) Andrew Sheraton's E30 (56 - 14th)
3) Tim Scott-Andrews took 5th in the Rover Vitesse (4)
4) Stuart Amphlett's VW Golf (6 - 12th), surely the most modern car in this race?
5) Edward Bourn
6) Dunster puts Stanford under pressure, heading toward Chris Curve, whilst Sheraton returns to the track, having had to avoid the spinning Waller (or was it the other way round, the Alfa certainly spun, anyway!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8432wb.jpg   IMG_8437wb.jpg   IMG_8449wb.jpg  

IMG_8463wb.jpg   IMG_8497wb.jpg   IMG_8554wb.jpg  

Old 13 Sep 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2954860)   #78
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Where's me Camaro? Oh yeah just remembered sitting it out in the pits BTW the power steering pump has been now been replaced with a nice blingy one, sweet eh?
Attached Thumbnails
pump.JPG  
Old 13 Sep 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2954872)   #79
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - Classic FF2000

Starters - 12
Classified - 10
Duration - 20 mins

Sponsored by Universal Racing Services and predominantly Van Diemens with singleton entries from Royale and Reynard. This was won quite comfortably by Ian Pearson in his Van Diemen RF83 (1) by 7 seconds from the Royale RP27of Olly Thorpe, with Scott Temple, 3rd, a further 10 seconds back. A couple of dices, but on the whole the field was fairly well spread out:-

1) Ian Pearson
2) Peter Chippendale (RF82 - 4th)
3) Clive Wood (RF82 - 8th)
4) Andrew Storer (RF82 - DNF)
5) Olly Thorpe
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8632wb.jpg   IMG_8656wb.jpg   IMG_8669wb.jpg  

IMG_8684wb.jpg   IMG_8691wb.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2954875)   #80
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why wasn't Delta there?
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2954889)   #81
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ooops, missed Scott out. As noted, Mr Temple was 3rd - see his earlier post (#45).

Can some one point me to the results; I can't find them anywhere and I don't have those for the last race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Why wasn't Delta there?
Because he was elsewhere!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8666wb.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2954891)   #82
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excellent pictures John

Go onto TSL timing & look under barc results
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2954893)   #83
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, the one of you is OK, anyway! Seriously, thanks Ian!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2954913)   #84
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

Because he was elsewhere!
Yes, that was my point. Surely this is a good example where an amalgamation would suit everyone. (I realise Delta may not have been racing elsewhere).

I notice smaller grids all round at this meeting. Where are the likes of Jimmy Mac (Capri) etc?
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2954914)   #85
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, that was my point. Surely this is a good example where an amalgamation would suit everyone. (I realise Delta may not have been racing elsewhere).

I notice smaller grids all round at this meeting. Where are the likes of Jimmy Mac (Capri) etc?
Jims Capri was still in the paint shop from Thruxton. Plus saving it for Spa.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2954915)   #86
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
He sustained a bit of damage at Thruxton, dunno if that had anything to do with it. Funny circuit some rave about, it some won't go there. I totally agree about the watering down of grids now everyone is suffering its getting all a bit ridiculous now. Ops we crossed posts Dave, yes Spa is another event that robs us of cars!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2954916)   #87
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well having said that where are the other stalwarts from my time? Nigel Garrett, Skid Scarborough, etc? Although I note Malc Best and Steve Cripps are back out again. I don't mind Cadwell. Had a big off there in '95 but also got a lap record and wins there (pre-historic days).
Old 13 Sep 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2954924)   #88
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The reason is Money and money and money or the lack of it Pete its as simple as that. Younger guys with big mortgages and kids etc. simply have to prioritise, me I am just trying to spend the daughters inheritance but if I couldnt do the work myself as an ex-mechanic and I have a fully kitted out large workshop at home I would also be out! I am afraid something is gonna have to give and I expect to start seeing more discounts and deals from entries in 2012 if the whole thing is going to survive and this goes for everyone.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2955059)   #89
schuey57
Rookie

schuey57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any of number 57 in the ff2000 race John?
Old 14 Sep 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2955437)   #90
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
The reason is Money and money and money or the lack of it Pete its as simple as that. Younger guys with big mortgages and kids etc. simply have to prioritise, me I am just trying to spend the daughters inheritance but if I couldnt do the work myself as an ex-mechanic and I have a fully kitted out large workshop at home I would also be out! I am afraid something is gonna have to give and I expect to start seeing more discounts and deals from entries in 2012 if the whole thing is going to survive and this goes for everyone.
This is all very true I regret to say, and I wonder where it will end. It would be nice to think that discounts were possible, but, although the clubs need us, I suspect the circuit owners do not. They can always fall back onto track days and company sponsored exhibition days for new cars etc.
I have the occasional hours flight in a light aircraft, and the cost per minute while flying is a fraction of the cost per minute of driving on the track, and that is without taking into consideration that the aircraft cost pays for fuel and maintenance whereas our maintenance and fuel costs are on top of the entry fees.
But even all this doesn't entirely account for some grid losses. Someone enquired where Delta was. He no longer races in URS but frequents HSCC
FF2000 which has much larger grids. But when you look at the cost per minute of track time in HSCC it is far more expensive than in URS who are currently having trouble with smaller grids. So, where is the logic in all this?.......I don't know.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2955464)   #91
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I read somewhere on here that Trackdays are causing far more annoyance to local residents than race days because there is no let up on the noise as its continual and relentless with no breaks where as race days have a bit of break between races. If thats the case then thats not the solution for the tracks and if they all went over to trackdays I think the entrants to that would eventually thin out plus the track needs the credance of being an operating race circuit or you may as well go to an airfield venue. Take Bedford for example it just doesnt have the romantic status that say Brands or Silverstone has.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2955470)   #92
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I read somewhere on here that Trackdays are causing far more annoyance to local residents than race days because there is no let up on the noise as its continual and relentless with no breaks where as race days have a bit of break between races. If thats the case then thats not the solution for the tracks and if they all went over to trackdays I think the entrants to that would eventually thin out plus the track needs the credance of being an operating race circuit or you may as well go to an airfield venue. Take Bedford for example it just doesnt have the romantic status that say Brands or Silverstone has.
I don't claim to be an authority on trackdays, but on odd occasions we have arrived at a circuit the day before our event and seen the end of a trackday, and they appear to be running silenced. Or at least silenced compared with our noise level
I can see your argument re the credence of an operating racecircuit, but I suspect that would not be lost as BSB and National car races would pay their prices happily, it is just the likes of us who can't.
Now, don't think I am trying to sell this as a good idea, I'm not. I am afraid of this happening as much as anyone else is, I just can't see the mechanism for allowing discounts to filter down into the pockets of the club racer.
I suspect the only way out of this circle is for organising clubs to work to secure sponsors for particular championships and use that funding to make up the difference between what we can pay and what the circuit owner wants to receive. Most championships have a company associated with them now, but how much money is fed into the organising clubs by that sponsor? Does anyone know of any examples? It always seems to be clouded in secrecy.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2955554)   #93
schuey57
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson View Post
I don't claim to be an authority on trackdays, but on odd occasions we have arrived at a circuit the day before our event and seen the end of a trackday, and they appear to be running silenced. Or at least silenced compared with our noise level
I can see your argument re the credence of an operating racecircuit, but I suspect that would not be lost as BSB and National car races would pay their prices happily, it is just the likes of us who can't.
Now, don't think I am trying to sell this as a good idea, I'm not. I am afraid of this happening as much as anyone else is, I just can't see the mechanism for allowing discounts to filter down into the pockets of the club racer.
I suspect the only way out of this circle is for organising clubs to work to secure sponsors for particular championships and use that funding to make up the difference between what we can pay and what the circuit owner wants to receive. Most championships have a company associated with them now, but how much money is fed into the organising clubs by that sponsor? Does anyone know of any examples? It always seems to be clouded in secrecy.
Isnt the c-ship already sponsored by a certain company?, worst year for the c-ship in it's long history?
Old 14 Sep 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2955616)   #94
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I just dont think the return is there anymore for companies to bother sponsoring, just not worth the expense to them anymore as the spectators are so thin amd in many ways I blame this silly stand off between the clubs and circuit owners who keeps the gate. Now there was a big crown at Mallory for the Super Saloon Thundersaloon revival but two factors there I heard. (1) the car owners were given a free entry to show thier expensive machines and (2) the circuit owners I understand agreed a deal with CSCC about the gate proceeds, a blueprint for future events prehaps?
Old 15 Sep 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2955916)   #95
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey57 View Post
any of number 57 in the ff2000 race John?
Sorry, Chris, very short of decent pics from that race; this is the best I can do, I'm afraid:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8711wb.jpg  
Old 15 Sep 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2956011)   #96
schuey57
Rookie

Cheers John
Old 18 Sep 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2957529)   #97
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Allcomers Saloon Race

Just to wrap up this meeting, although as I said before, I didn't see the end of it and my request for results has fallen on stony ground! I think this was a 40 minute race with pitstops and won at a canter by Joss in his Lotus Sunbeam (sharing with Phil Seaman?) especially as fellow front row man, Kevin Wendt failed to start in his BMW. Two posts of pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8787wb.jpg   IMG_8801wb.jpg   IMG_8843wb.jpg  

IMG_8848wb.jpg   IMG_8877wb.jpg   IMG_8884wb.jpg  

Old 18 Sep 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2957530)   #98
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Allcomers Saloon Race (2)

Last lot:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8901wb.jpg   IMG_8921wb.jpg   IMG_8946wb.jpg  

IMG_8951wb.jpg   IMG_8973wb.jpg   IMG_9001wb.jpg