Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Sep 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2960616)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
My 1977 Penske Camaro IROC Project Car No. 11

Link to Facebook with all photos etc. I will update as we progress. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3851629&type=1

Last edited by Al Weyman; 25 Sep 2011 at 11:04.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2960900)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Was it in the UK for a good period of time? Was it run at all in UK?

robert
Old 25 Sep 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2960902)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It was imported into the UK with one other car in the early 80's by Brian Rice after the first IROC series was disbanded. It was originally raced over here in ASCAR (the original version) and has also race in Thunder Saloons, the body had Lynton Trailers Northern Sports and Saloons stickers on it so it must have done a bit there as well. Some joker over your side of the pond was advertising one claiming it was car No.11 till I had to put him right and tell him where the chassis stamp is.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2960937)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
thanks. I know at least one ran in Trans Am in the States for a while. I don't know about any others-do you have any idea how many are still around
Old 26 Sep 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2960983)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The sister car which was imported here was sold a while back on ebay but had been severely got at with lots of bits missing I was in touch with the man as he wanted to buy some panels but they are not for sale. There are several in the USA, I think one went to South Africa where its racing with some high powered engine and there is an earlier one (non tubeframe) for sale in France for a small fortune so I have been told. There is also some clones about I suspect as I have seen some and comparing small details they jast are not right. The one that was for sale purporting to be car No. 11 I believe in fact was a car assembled by the IROC people for their 25 anniversary and has never turned a wheel in anger in period. At the time they sent me some pictires and info on the car and I must say even down to the colour and the alloy wheels (should be Norris Industries steel chrome plated) it looked like that car.

I made a good start on the car yesterday and have formulated a plan of action and way forward with the project. I would like to get it done in time for the Goodwood festival of Speed next year as I did have an invite to take it there once. In actual fact it looks worse than it is as all the front end just clips on as do the doors, once I sort out the rear end sheet metal we will be on our way. I wont race the car but I do intend to display it and trackday it.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 26 Sep 2011 at 07:26.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2960992)   #6
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al, the link doesn't work for me - do you have to have a Facebook account to access it ?

Mind you it would be easier for me just to pop round & have a look
Old 26 Sep 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2961029)   #7
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All power to your elbow Al. Good Luck mate.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2961060)   #8
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talking of big V.8's.

I took these two pictures at the M & M store on the strip a few years back. They have this line of ex-racing cars, and everyone lines up, with a huge screen in front of you. Just like a big cinema screen, and the cars are fitted with hydrolics (is that the correct spelling?) so the actually tilt as you go round the banking. Great fun, very bumpy, and terrific sound effects!
Anyway, here's a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
LAS VEGAS MAY 2007 175.jpg   LAS VEGAS MAY 2007 176.jpg  
Old 26 Sep 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2961084)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Looks good Gerry. Hey Cliff I thought everyone had a facebook account! Yeah pop round or have a look Saturday we are getting it underway now.