Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Dec 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4087570)   #501
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Did I miss something but I don't remember Verstappen using 2 different compound tyres during the race. He changed to fresh set of mediums at the first red flag but I don't remember any more tyre changes as he was on mediums at the finish.
Old 7 Dec 2021, 19:39 (Ref:4087572)   #502
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You'd like to think that for the final race, it would be made clear to all the drivers that blatantly 'divebombing' another car, forcing another car off track or using run off to complete a move will be an absolute no-no and anyone doing so, whether a title protagonist or not, will be dealt with robustly.
Yeah, it will be dealt with under the rules.

The same rules as at every race.
Old 7 Dec 2021, 20:30 (Ref:4087581)   #503
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You'd like to think that for the final race, it would be made clear to all the drivers that blatantly 'divebombing' another car, forcing another car off track or using run off to complete a move will be an absolute no-no and anyone doing so, whether a title protagonist or not, will be dealt with robustly.
"Robustly" would have to mean a points deduction or a DQ from the entire season if the result of the infringement was taking a rival out. Anything else is irrelevant. Do the rules allow for that?
Old 7 Dec 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4087583)   #504
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
"Robustly" would have to mean a points deduction or a DQ from the entire season if the result of the infringement was taking a rival out. Anything else is irrelevant. Do the rules allow for that?

I would like to think that they do, because, after all, even Michael Schumacher had all his points removed for his egregious tactics. Although, regretfully, if my memory is correct, he didn't get that penalty for taking out Damon Hill in a previous season.
Old 7 Dec 2021, 21:05 (Ref:4087586)   #505
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I would like to think that they do, because, after all, even Michael Schumacher had all his points removed for his egregious tactics. Although, regretfully, if my memory is correct, he didn't get that penalty for taking out Damon Hill in a previous season.
I think - the Sporting Regulations in themselves do not give that authority to the Stewards.
But - the Stewards (or a competitor appeal - and I'm sure Mercedes would) can see a matter referred to The FIA World Motor Sport Council.

That is what happened in the case of TGF:
'The World Council found that Michael Schumacher's manoeuvre was an instinctive reaction and although deliberate not made with malice or premeditation. It was a serious error. The World Council decided to exclude Michael Schumacher from the results of the 1997 FIA Formula One World Championship for drivers. The final results of the FIA Formula One World Championship have been modified accordingly. The results of the Constructors' Championship remain unchanged. Michael Schumacher retains his points and victories recorded during the 1997 season.'
Old 7 Dec 2021, 21:21 (Ref:4087589)   #506
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

He took Hill out in '94, winning the WDC by one point.
Old 7 Dec 2021, 21:46 (Ref:4087594)   #507
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for that guys; at least I do still possess a few marbles up top!

I think that the teams' bosses might take a more proactive stance towards their drivers' on-track antics if they thought that the Council might strip them of some or all of the Constructor points, because points mean money, and if Marko or Horner thought that they might have reduced budget, they might act differently to Verstappen's manoeuvrers.
Old 7 Dec 2021, 22:49 (Ref:4087597)   #508
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Let's not forget Michael's tactic against JV was 24yrs ago.

The rules and application of penalties are different these days, you commonly saw drivers receive race bans for incidents in the past.

If anything happened in Abu Dhabi, the penalty will be applied within the bounds of the rules - they can't and won't just change it "because it's the final race". (although there is some merit in discussing increased or double penalties for the last race of the season)

And in the off chance they do, we're going to spend the entire off-season debating the RB v Mercedes v FIA legal battle.
Old 7 Dec 2021, 23:18 (Ref:4087598)   #509
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if that's the case that Maxi could not be stripped of all points if he does the dirty thing what would hinder mercedes to put Bottas to crash into him as precaution ?
Old 7 Dec 2021, 23:35 (Ref:4087604)   #510
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think some of the blame has to lie with the instruction from his team.

'Hand the place back, but do it strategically' (or words to that effect). So he was doing much more than just slowing to let Hamilton past. He wanted to control when Hamilton passed, in terms of DRS activation and line(s) taken.
Do it strategically! How is this allowed? In the past it wasn’t.

Strategically? Make sure you get an unfair advantage when you let the driver past. Why do I have to let him past?
Well you gained an unfair advantage.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 02:26 (Ref:4087618)   #511
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Do it strategically! How is this allowed? In the past it wasn’t.

Strategically? Make sure you get an unfair advantage when you let the driver past. Why do I have to let him past?
Well you gained an unfair advantage.
Strategically doesn't necessarily mean doing a dodgy though.

Strategically could also mean do it where it doesn't disadvantage him as much as on another part of the track.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 02:40 (Ref:4087620)   #512
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Like just staying on line and easing off slightly on a straight.

Old 8 Dec 2021, 02:53 (Ref:4087623)   #513
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Although, regretfully, if my memory is correct, he didn't get that penalty for taking out Damon Hill in a previous season.
No there was never a penalty issued. ISTR reading that it was never taken further because SFW and PH did not want to have the driver's title decided in a court room out of respect to the loss of Senna earlier that year in their car. They had also already won the (to them) more important Constructors title. Because Williams were not prepared to officially protest MS the FIA took it no further.
Happy to be corrected but that is my memory with reading back after the event and retrospective team comments.

Edit: OK, curiosity re was my memory correct had me go online to see if I could find something to reassure me / my memory. I did not find the article I remember reading, but I did find one saying basically the same. it seems it was indeed a retrospective (maybe years later)interview with (S)PH. Link follows: https://rec.autos.sport.f1.narkive.c...heated-in-1994

Last edited by E.B; 8 Dec 2021 at 03:04. Reason: added link to article relating
Old 8 Dec 2021, 07:04 (Ref:4087626)   #514
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they can block the DRS on the first straight after the pass, then this would all be much less of a problem
Old 8 Dec 2021, 08:29 (Ref:4087635)   #515
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would a good solution on a lot of the tracks be a long lap penalty? They do this in MotoGP and it works a treat.

For going off track to retain position you could just get them to do two or three of them in a row.

Obviously this requires quick decisions from race control, so it is a bit fanciful.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4087661)   #516
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The long lap penalty works well in MotoGP, but then they are about a quarter of the width of an F1 car, so not sure it would necessarily work in F1
Old 8 Dec 2021, 11:29 (Ref:4087664)   #517
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The long lap penalty works well in MotoGP, but then they are about a quarter of the width of an F1 car, so not sure it would necessarily work in F1
Formula E manages it with thinner tracks.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4087665)   #518
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have you seen the tarmac runoff most tracks have?

Places like Monaco it is obviously not possible.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 11:58 (Ref:4087674)   #519
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, credit to Marko for the apology - not that there was much choice. I guess it was too much to hope that Horner would be as contrite...
Old 8 Dec 2021, 12:28 (Ref:4087680)   #520
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Be nice to get an apology from Horner and Max now.....doubt it will be forthcoming though
Old 8 Dec 2021, 13:26 (Ref:4087688)   #521
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Apologies from such people are worthless, so who cares.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4087689)   #522
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Apologies from such people are worthless, so who cares.

It's also a little late in coming. I am surprised Marko bothered.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4087692)   #523
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's also a little late in coming. I am surprised Marko bothered.
For clarity - the apology was made on 7th Dec, and appears to only have reached English-speaking media on the 8th.
Old 8 Dec 2021, 13:45 (Ref:4087694)   #524
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Be nice to get an apology from Horner and Max now.....
They seem genuinely to believe there’s nothing to apologise for. In what amounts to a puff piece in The Times today Horner refers to Hamilton driving into the back of Verstappen with no mention of Verstappen braking.

The extent of Horner’s eulogising of Verstappen is also extraordinary. Apparently he is single-handedly making up for having a slower car built by plucky underdogs fighting the mighty corporate machine that is Mercedes, all the while being treated unfairly by stewards and race control.

Old 8 Dec 2021, 13:50 (Ref:4087696)   #525
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
They seem genuinely to believe there’s nothing to apologise for. In what amounts to a puff piece in The Times today Horner refers to Hamilton driving into the back of Verstappen with no mention of Verstappen braking.

The extent of Horner’s eulogising of Verstappen is also extraordinary. Apparently he is single-handedly making up for having a slower car built by plucky underdogs fighting the mighty corporate machine that is Mercedes, all the while being treated unfairly by stewards and race control.

Maybe Horners got his head so far up Verstappens A-Hole that he cant actually see reality....