Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 May 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2455845)   #351
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
It largely depends on how its been secured at the Top of the chassis though John,if that has been done correctly,it should be plenty strong enough.Just hope the car hasn't got HTPs.[I doubt it will have them much longer]

Just taken a second look at those bolts,would have thought 10 mill to have been more appropriate rather than 8s
Bonkers in my book.

It was not a racer - a nicely presented early Grantura rear end 200 in black. Might be ok (maybe) for that. But if I had had it on a ramp and seen that when inspecting it I would have just - "Er thanks, but No Thanks!".
Old 5 May 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2455848)   #352
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't say I'd buy it though. Dont like the look of the MIG weld's on those flanges for a start.
Old 5 May 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2456127)   #353
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh lordy. some peoples idea of restoration!! Must be a newly imported american car.

While we are on the subject of diffs and chassis. is there a difference in the distance between the lower chassis rails directly under the diff on a Vixen as opposed to a griffith chassis or are all dims the same??

I have never gotten a difinitive answer or checked for myself.

N.
Old 6 May 2009, 05:49 (Ref:2456242)   #354
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same Chassis with different diff mount.
Old 6 May 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2456272)   #355
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
Oh lordy. some peoples idea of restoration!! Must be a newly imported american car.

N.
Neil, it was a US car for sale in the US. Nice road example bar the butchered chassis!

Old 6 May 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2456295)   #356
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Nice looking car,the chassis could be relatively easily repaired as well.
Old 6 May 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2456545)   #357
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah.
They don't look the same to me without Roundels

N
Old 19 May 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2465284)   #358
Slow M
Rookie

United Nations
Chicago's Western suburbs
Slow M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, here's one
http://www.britishv8.org/Other/DanCurtis.htm
don't know about the serial #.

Have you considered contacting Joe Rauh for his compilation of serial numbers/owners?
http://www.griffithclub.com/

Best of luck,
Bernard.
Old 19 May 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2465320)   #359
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Now thats what I'd call a proper FIA Racer!
Old 19 May 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2465383)   #360
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Black car looks great topside - amazing what lies underneath! Red car looks like a bunch of fun on the road.
Old 20 May 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2465509)   #361
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Forget FIA - way to Slow

Just finalised the spec of my engine chap getting on with it now - should be Bonkers.

Getting another very important part of it this weekend (bit that stops you barrel rolling it down the track!).
Old 22 May 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2467161)   #362
Slow M
Rookie

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I know it ain't a Griffiths 200/400 but what was that 5000 that Pete Wheeler raced with us last year in the Heritage ? I know it looked a "Bitsa"
Gordon, these cars do not seem to be well documented in TVR books but the 5000M driven by Peter Wheeler was one of 10 part built 3000Ms sent to Canada in 1970 and fitted with Ford V8 289 engines (nothing new there, then!). (Source - EVO 124).
Uh, NO!
ITSA BITSA!!!
It is not based on an M chassis.
If memory serves, it has an engine based on the Ford 350CI as opposed to the 302.
From what I've read, the body is wider than a standard M and is a one-off.
I think one of the guys that built it said something like "they're M doors though."
Nice car, whatever you want to call it.

B
Old 23 May 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2467463)   #363
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that's the third different account that I've read about this car now!
Old 23 May 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2467818)   #364
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
All racing cars are Bitsas???

Can we all just not agree that it is a very nice car built to the regs for a particular racing series!

N.
Old 24 May 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2468355)   #365
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
At Coys (Master at Brands today), looks like a Jomar (but thought there was only one? Maybe just the bonnet and is a Grantura.

Griffith came from this

How SMALL!!!
Old 24 May 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2468429)   #366
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
At Coys (Master at Brands today), looks like a Jomar (but thought there was only one? Maybe just the bonnet and is a Grantura.

Griffith came from this

How SMALL!!!
Jon,

1962 Mk2a Grantura - had the Volkswagen Beetle derived torsion bar front and rear suspension and a subsequently significantly different tubular chassis to the Mk3 Grantura that the Griffith used - but fundamentally the same outward shape.

Did the carsell at auction and if so any idea what price?
Old 24 May 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2468442)   #367
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
No idea - it was outside teh Auction entrance - auctions far from my stuff, just though it interesting - only there for the big banger stuff and getting some trick uprights.

Some amazing car in t he paddock - fav's Bizzarini and the M1a.
Old 29 May 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2471658)   #368
RRD
Rookie

RRD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all. I am in the later stages of the gestation of 400-040. no, this one will not be "stock". my last 200 went that route, but not this one. the chassis has been completely strengthened and caged, t-bird rear uprights, ford 8.8 rear with thorsen and raxles halfshafts, steel floor pan, atl fuel cell, dry sumped alum block 364" efi engine, upgraded brakes, liftoff body, gt40 seats. it chassis dynos at 400 rwhp. will be using for street and open road racing events. yes, it still looks like a 400. installing gauges and finishing wiring, etc now. hope to complete paint and interior this summer. maybe... what's another year when it's been so many already?
Old 29 May 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2471799)   #369
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome RRD; please keep us posted on progress and maybe some pics?
Old 29 May 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2471803)   #370
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Re: Coys Grantura
Did the carsell at auction and if so any idea what price?
Yes, £14500 plus comm I believe. The car will be based up this neck of the woods, so look forward to having a good look under it at the VW susp!
Old 29 May 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2471841)   #371
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Seems like a reasonable price given what it will be eligible for - dependent upon how well put together it is of course. Considered one myself but couldn't come to terms with the Beetle suspension!
Old 30 May 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2472159)   #372
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRD View Post
Hello all. I am in the later stages of the gestation of 400-040. no, this one will not be "stock". my last 200 went that route, but not this one. the chassis has been completely strengthened and caged, t-bird rear uprights, ford 8.8 rear with thorsen and raxles halfshafts, steel floor pan, atl fuel cell, dry sumped alum block 364" efi engine, upgraded brakes, liftoff body, gt40 seats. it chassis dynos at 400 rwhp. will be using for street and open road racing events. yes, it still looks like a 400. installing gauges and finishing wiring, etc now. hope to complete paint and interior this summer. maybe... what's another year when it's been so many already?
Hi RRD - any pic's of the car in build?

Jelly
200-5-017
Old 30 May 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2472179)   #373
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop giving people your telephone number Jelly!!

Can't remember if I sent this to you but thought it might interest people on this thread, my late father in MMT7C (one of their last races together) at the Tholt-y-Will hillclimb on 19th May 1967:-

Not sure how well it scans and reads when you zoom in but Dad was the quickest for most of the day and ended up 1st in class and 2nd FTD (an astonishing 2nd according to Autosport!!), not bad against the nimble single-seaters!!
Old 30 May 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2472274)   #374
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
haha - those are the arches the fia have homologated for the Griff now (not the nicer gentle flares) - seem a pointless exercise to me to get all the top fia cars to change from one type to another when both will cover the 8" rims - but then this lot do like tinkering (the mods will cost stack and make next to no difference), well the closed lower bulge might.

3rd Kart member healing well (married now) have to get out in next month or so if doc says he is up to it
Old 31 May 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2472694)   #375
Slow M
Rookie

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Well that's the third different account that I've read about this car now!
Well, you know what they say...

...third try's a charm.