Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Nov 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3588107)   #1
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Susie Wolff retires

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/susi...b_8461408.html
Old 4 Nov 2015, 15:18 (Ref:3588133)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
A suggestion I've heard is that Susie could be joining the Top Gear crew...
Old 4 Nov 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3588163)   #3
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A suggestion I've heard is that Susie could be joining the Top Gear crew...
The Stig-ette?
Old 5 Nov 2015, 00:20 (Ref:3588270)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
The Stig-ette?
Stig-letto?
Old 5 Nov 2015, 03:10 (Ref:3588285)   #5
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If she really, really loved racing, she wouldn't be completely retiring just because she can't get into F1. There's plenty other motorsports out there. Perhaps she doesn't feel the need anymore, and has other things in life she'd rather do. Which might not really have helped her finding a F1 seat.

Even losing 2 legs didn't put Zanardi off after already have a F1 stint and 2 Indycar stints. That's someone who loves racing.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 05:36 (Ref:3588292)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is a Mercedes team in V8Supercar that should be placing a call right about now...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Nov 2015, 06:52 (Ref:3588296)   #7
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably babies.

Fair enough I reckon. She gave it a crack, realised that she was never going to get a seat with other young blokes coming through in front of her, so decided to call it quits and focus on the next generation.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 07:00 (Ref:3588297)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There is a Mercedes team in V8Supercar that should be placing a call right about now...
According to her career history in the Autosport retirement story, she's never won a race so if they DID place a call, I'm guessing that they'd see the benefit from something other than a performance point of view.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 12:25 (Ref:3588345)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
If she really, really loved racing, she wouldn't be completely retiring just because she can't get into F1. There's plenty other motorsports out there. Perhaps she doesn't feel the need anymore, and has other things in life she'd rather do.
why bother with the stupid statement before the reasonable answer? plenty of us really, really love racing but can't race for whatever reason... it's her choice, the reasons why aren't any of our business.

full respect for her and the way she's gone about things throughout her career. she's used the woman token appropriately and well, and visibility is key for inspiring young girls. you guys won't get this, but if you don't see girls doing a job it never even crosses your mind that it's an option. it's a boy's sport. you can't play with the boys.

i can't explain how much good her, claire williams and monisha kaltenborn are doing for young women aspiring to get into the sport. we have smart, educated women in leadership and guidance roles, and it's great inspiration. now girls don't just have to aspire to being a grid girl if they want to get involved, there's real life women out there doing other jobs. unlike guys, we girls are a bit more self-critical and realistic about ourselves, so that visibility is just another thing that encourages us to get involved.

/ot
Old 5 Nov 2015, 14:18 (Ref:3588357)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Let's look on the bright side we still have Carmen Jorda...
Old 5 Nov 2015, 14:39 (Ref:3588358)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Let's look on the bright side we still have Carmen Jorda...
And I think Bernie himself wants Carmen to race in F1, whenever she could.
Sad to see that Susie decided to hang her helmet.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 14:45 (Ref:3588361)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Simona always had my vote as being a serious candidate for a race seat .
Bernie or somebody with some forsight should have gotten behind that lady .
Instead her talent is going to waste in Formula E ..

She is a real racer no doubt in my mind about that ..
Old 5 Nov 2015, 18:32 (Ref:3588407)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think this is a real shame. I really wanted Suzie to get at least a crack at an F1 race drive, even if it was as a reserve driver. What was quite telling was when Bottas got injured (was it this season or last?) Williams came out and said that it wouldn't be Suzie in the car if Bottas had to be replaced. That for me was a real shock, and I wouldn't be surprised if Suzie felt a little put out by that, I think I would be.

I know some people have questioned how and why Suzie got the F1 test drive in the first place (I can't be certain but I believe she hasn't ever won a lower category...?) however frankly, whilst that could be an issue, there are drivers in F1 at the moment (and the past) who are not there on talent alone, and have substantial backing from sponsors.

Again, a real shame.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 20:58 (Ref:3588429)   #14
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When I have seen her interviewed,she has seemed articulate and pleasant in addition to being attractive.At no time have I believed she is one of the best 25 drivers in the business.I have no reason to wish her anything other than a happy post-racing life.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3588433)   #15
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be good to see her on Top Gear
Old 5 Nov 2015, 21:45 (Ref:3588436)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I think we are all being really polite and not saying what we really think .
Susie I think time ran out for you ..
F1 is still dominated by men with huge eyebrows ..
However you will be all right for the obvious reasons ..
A woman in YOUR position can stil drive a race car anty time you want ..
Do I feel sorry for you ...

No, not really ....
Old 5 Nov 2015, 21:55 (Ref:3588439)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Wolff wasn't near F1 standard. She would've been Yuji Ide type driver if she raced in F1 in anger.

I wish her the best in her retirement of course.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3588448)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that she would be a useful addition to the Sky Broadcast team.

Double up with Pinkham on the midweek show, giving it a higher profile.

Appearances on and features for the F1 show.

She could even join in the FP commentary rotation with Davidson, Herbert, DiResta and Senna. Not sure she's ready for race analysis on the Sky-pad just yet though.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 22:38 (Ref:3588450)   #19
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In another sport dominated by men I think Michelle Payne's comment to those who said women couldn't ride as jockeys says it all.
After winning the Melbourne Cup she was perfectly entitled to tell the chauvinists to "Get stuffed".
Some time in the not to far distant future a woman will win in F1 and the chauvinists in our sport will deserve the same comment.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 23:53 (Ref:3588470)   #20
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She was never going to be a driver a team could hang their hat on. All the best with life after racing.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3588483)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Simona always had my vote as being a serious candidate for a race seat .
Bernie or somebody with some forsight should have gotten behind that lady .
Instead her talent is going to waste in Formula E ..

She is a real racer no doubt in my mind about that ..
And drove at Bathurst this year in an unfamiliar Falcon and was quicker than someone familiar with both the car and circuit... and.. when her codriver fenced the car early in the race, drove the wheels off the 'sick dog' the rest of the day with not a complaint to be heard...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Nov 2015, 02:19 (Ref:3588494)   #22
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Simona is one of the best open wheel female drivers in recent history. Is she good enough for F1? Not a chance, imo. Not someone who's never won any championship and only one 6 car races in their life.

Even if you compare to some of the drivers in F1 that some think are wasting a seat....

Maldonado, pretty dominant 2009 GP2 champion beating guys like Perez, Bianchi, Bird... Rapax wasn't necessarily the best team that year.

Gutiérrez, pretty straightforward 2010 GP3 champion, 3rd in gp2 2 years later.

Erricson, less illustrious record with only 2 early championships. Probably there on money alone anyway.

Don't mean to put down Simona, she's had some great races Indycar, but I don't see her being F1 material.

When it comes to Susie, I hadn't looked at her record but gosh like someone said, she's never won a race. No fls, poles, only 4 podiums in her life. The fact she's even a test driver is a pretty amazing achievement considering her record.

If any female makes it to F1, and I'm sure they will, I would like it to be on merit and not because everyone wants to see a female in F1, equal rights, marketing opportunities (like Danica).

Anyway, she seems a lovely lady so all the best to her.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 12:08 (Ref:3588551)   #23
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
If any person makes it to F1, and I'm sure they will, I would like it to be on merit and not because everyone wants to see a person in F1, equal rights, marketing opportunities
FTFY. Because a lot of folks - blokes, mainly - keeping popping in & out of F1 on the basis of things other than talent.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 14:46 (Ref:3588582)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And drove at Bathurst this year in an unfamiliar Falcon and was quicker than someone familiar with both the car and circuit... and.. when her codriver fenced the car early in the race, drove the wheels off the 'sick dog' the rest of the day with not a complaint to be heard...
I can believe that GTR... Apart from anything else having a woman driving in F1, dare I say it ! Is a huge marketing opertunity, it helps of when they look like, Simona, Susie and Carmen ... This not intended to be sexist, I think all of you would agree it would only be good for our sport ...
Old 6 Nov 2015, 14:48 (Ref:3588584)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I think that she would be a useful addition to the Sky Broadcast team.

Double up with Pinkham on the midweek show, giving it a higher profile.

Appearances on and features for the F1 show.

She could even join in the FP commentary rotation with Davidson, Herbert, DiResta and Senna. Not sure she's ready for race analysis on the Sky-pad just yet though.
That's a great idea ! Here in the US we have several women who comentate on sports and they do a fine job....