Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Mar 2021, 12:56 (Ref:4038917)   #1276
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The trick is repeating the performance when there's no-one to tail
And is keeping the performance when you've someone tailing you…
Old 5 Mar 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4038924)   #1277
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My best (least bad) performance have all been when I have been out with an instructor in the car a few days before hand. Hmmm, there’s a lesson there!!!
Old 5 Mar 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4038935)   #1278
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Each time I go to a track I dont know or if I'm returning to one known, my first visit is to the local racing school. Ask to those who know all the tricks save you a lot of time. Only one inconvenient though, if they only use single seaters running on slicks there are differences with a tintop on threaded tires. Works fine, people met are mostly helpful and often the advice is free. The "payment" they get is in your improvements. Fair deal, is it?
Old 5 Mar 2021, 13:56 (Ref:4038937)   #1279
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We try to tell kart team members that there is far more performance to be found from a couple of hundred quid with an instructor rather than thousands on the latest engine. But they don't listen.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:01 (Ref:4038939)   #1280
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Right, always the engine is blamed and mechanic sometimes too. When I instructed at Montlhéry, moons ago, I used to say "right foot first, then right foot and then the chassis settings". Hard to be understood by some.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:03 (Ref:4038940)   #1281
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh yeah, it's always the team's fault when they lose and the driver's skill when they do well

Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:09 (Ref:4038942)   #1282
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:11 (Ref:4038943)   #1283
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Oh yeah, it's always the team's fault when they lose and the driver's skill when they do well

Were you Nigel Mansell's manager in a previous life ?
Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4038951)   #1284
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Sounds very familiar Max.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4038954)   #1285
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

In my previous life it was always , “intelligence failures, operational successes” and now, in my current life, it is always “business development failures, project delivery successes”!!!!!
Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4038958)   #1286
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Back in the day a lot more of those at the top could take responsibility for their actions, but there were exceptions. Now it seems to be businesses doing all the hardwork and leaving others to do the job and those at the top taking all the credit and absolving them of blame
Old 5 Mar 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4038983)   #1287
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Very interesting point, even though I can't help with any of your tracks. What I see is that when the surface is redone with new macadam, sometimes you can find a new trajectory compared to what was efficient before.
Dijon is a perfect example, Spa too (Bruxelles and Pouhon corners for instance).
I know what you mean about the surface grip etc , and with practice /experience you can feel the best line & see when you are losing / gaining on someone who is just in front .

But Shell bend Oulton Park does not seem to follow any logic .
It is a double apex hairpin which has /had a very steep banking .
The normal line of using most of the track width does not seem to work , & the best idea I found was to stay in about the centre line & the banking allowed a higher speed to be carried through the corner .

But I guess a few hundred practice laps might be needed to find the real optimum.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 16:20 (Ref:4038987)   #1288
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the killer is the bend before, unless you can go flat out through there and get back to the left hand side Shell makes little difference to lap times because it is a slow corner anyway.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4038995)   #1289
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You know the proverb, Tel, always ask a native. "My" secret revealed: In all cars, it’s flat out before we get to Druids. There are a few variations of line here depending on what car you’re driving. Generally, you’ll make two apexes and you’ll need to be careful on the exit as it’s located on a crest. The normal mistake here is to misjudge your racing line then need to tighten steering and lift off the accelerator as you head over the crest.

Crystal clear… My sources?
https://driver61.com/circuit-guide/oulton-park/
https://www.raceoptimal.com/OultonInternational
Old 5 Mar 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4038997)   #1290
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My thought too, Peter, you can't make a huge difference in a hairpin. Just out of curiosity when teaching at Montlhéry, we made a lot of tests in the single hairpin of the 3.4 km layout, called Les Deux Ponts. From perfect line to full interior trajectory, no difference at all. When you gain speed the travel is longer, then at the end of the day no difference at all. A little bit different at Adelaide hairpin of Magny-Cours which is faster.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 17:11 (Ref:4039001)   #1291
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its easier to remember the corners I got right as there were far fewer than the the wrong ones . I once got Copse perfect!!
Old 5 Mar 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4039003)   #1292
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Castle Combe:
Miata for Andy: https://www.raceoptimal.com/maps/CastleCombe/Miata
amateur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0Jp6oPOAM
Old 5 Mar 2021, 17:19 (Ref:4039006)   #1293
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotustwincam View Post
Its easier to remember the corners I got right as there were far fewer than the the wrong ones . I once got Copse perfect!!
Back in the old days of French Enduro Championship, the maximum allowance was two hours plus ten minutes, in a raw. Each time I wondered how many goods laps I did during those hours! Video analyzing helps, sometimes. But its always after the race!
Old 5 Mar 2021, 17:31 (Ref:4039011)   #1294
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You know the proverb, Tel, always ask a native. "My" secret revealed: In all cars, it’s flat out before we get to Druids. There are a few variations of line here depending on what car you’re driving. Generally, you’ll make two apexes and you’ll need to be careful on the exit as it’s located on a crest. The normal mistake here is to misjudge your racing line then need to tighten steering and lift off the accelerator as you head over the crest.

Crystal clear… My sources?
https://driver61.com/circuit-guide/oulton-park/
https://www.raceoptimal.com/OultonInternational
We never had things like that when I was a boy ??
But from your circuit guide video , he seems to be going in early and not using the width of the track until the exit onto the next straight .

So perhaps my attempts at that corner were not that far out .

Although , as you say , the slow corners do not make as much lap time difference , if you get a better line out you can use it to pass someone on the next bit of straight .
Old 5 Mar 2021, 17:32 (Ref:4039012)   #1295
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Combe is my local circuit and I used to do every raceday there. That was before the chicanes though, when it was really quick.

Old 5 Mar 2021, 17:35 (Ref:4039014)   #1296
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I find the race optimal vids quite interesting because several very different cars are used, Miata, understeering Golf, Caterham and GT3 which seems to be a 997.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 22:45 (Ref:4039093)   #1297
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect I can explain my own inconsistent approach to Shell Oils Hairpin quite easily: I reckon it's because I've generally got my eyes closed & breath held as I try to negotiate the previous left-hander at Island as close to flat-out as I dare!

So the moment at which I open my eyes again generally depicts my line into Shell Oils, as I'm never quite in the same place.

But I always tend to think that I could have taken the first part faster than I do, but getting on the power too early does result in oversteer, despite the banking (which is levelling out by then). I have spun on the exit before now, so I am trying!
Old 5 Mar 2021, 23:13 (Ref:4039098)   #1298
midgetman
Veteran

I have never done the Shell corner. When I raced regularly Cascades was a right hander heading down to where that chicane is now. I did do a couple.of races with a really sharp hairpin some.distance short.of the current.one - think Cadwell Park.short circuit. That would have been 1985/6 I reckon.

Just shows how old I am.

Old 6 Mar 2021, 02:14 (Ref:4039123)   #1299
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I have never done the Shell corner. When I raced regularly Cascades was a right hander heading down to where that chicane is now. I did do a couple.of races with a really sharp hairpin some.distance short.of the current.one - think Cadwell Park.short circuit. That would have been 1985/6 I reckon.

Just shows how old I am.

That's the circuit that for some reason BTCC use - I guess its just because it shortens the circuit so spectators can see the cars more times....

As for Paul's comment - we really ought to run a book on "how many corners I haven't spun at" My friend is a very quick driver, but never knowingly travels in a straight line
Old 6 Mar 2021, 06:15 (Ref:4039136)   #1300
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I reckon it's because I've generally got my eyes closed & breath held as I try to negotiate the previous left-hander at Island as close to flat-out as I dare!
Even when racing, les Britanniques sont hantés par le bon vieux dilemme shakespearien: flat out or not flat out that is the question…
I remember Simon H teaching a female racer, his advice was to enter pedal to the metal, keep it all way down while shouting mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-meeeeee………