Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2021, 12:58 (Ref:4072605)   #251
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Albon to Williams.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...-2022/6662623/

Richard
Old 8 Sep 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4072608)   #252
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I'm pleased to see him back. Hopefully now free of the Red Bull shackles.....
Old 8 Sep 2021, 14:23 (Ref:4072616)   #253
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep, I'm pleased to see him back. Hopefully now free of the Red Bull shackles.....
From what I understand he has been released by RBR but only for the duration of his Williams stay.... they retain links with him and RBR have first option on his services post Williams.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4072617)   #254
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
You’re surprised that Tsunoda is better than Schumacher? Really?

Wow, you think a driver who gets on with the job and slowly improves and keeps out of trouble on and off the track is someone I think we should not mention. And you somehow decided from my post I was surprised? I think maybe you need a rethink of what I actually meant

Anyway nice Albon is back, hopefully he can try and perform now he doesn’t have the pressure of a big team. And keeping Latifi is no problem, as safe pair of hands, who can bring home the odd result on the right day
Old 8 Sep 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4072621)   #255
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So now we have Albon confirmed at Williams, but another team with no mention of engine manufacturer in its press release. Hmmm?
you were previously thinking/suggesting Alfa will end up taking a Merc engine supply but is this then a new twist...Williams will then take on a RB engine?

sadly still no one wants a Renault engine though lol
Old 8 Sep 2021, 15:16 (Ref:4072623)   #256
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
you were previously thinking/suggesting Alfa will end up taking a Merc engine supply but is this then a new twist...Williams will then take on a RB engine?

There were plenty of rumours in Zandvoort of Zhou and Renault to Sauber/Alfa! Who knows…
Old 8 Sep 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4072625)   #257
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Or is it the other way round? I mean did Red Bull choose to do it’s own because it didn’t want the Renault engine again or Renault didn’t want to work with them?
Old 8 Sep 2021, 17:18 (Ref:4072638)   #258
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
While we have seen Alpine do well at times, I would assume they are at the bottom of the power unit pecking order. Plus they continue to have staff turnover.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...mpany/6645206/

In addition to the main story of them ditching their power unit leader, the article also says they have delayed upgrades until 2022, but isn't that always the story in that... "The updates are just on the horizon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Or is it the other way round? I mean did Red Bull choose to do it’s own because it didn’t want the Renault engine again or Renault didn’t want to work with them?
I can't remember the details. I think in the end, Renault may have said they would supply Red Bull (I might have that wrong). But I think the real issue is that Red Bull has (rightly) decided that if you are playing second to the factory team, you are at a disadvantage. Yes, you can win with a customer engine, but you are always placed behind the needs and requirements of the factory team. So I think in the end, RBR said "no" to Renault as they would rather go it alone and make themselves the priority.

Richard
Old 8 Sep 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4072645)   #259
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
...Sauber/Alfa!...
What point are you making by referring to Alfa as Sauber?

(I know about the history of the team, I mean why do you refuse to acknowledge the name change?)
Old 8 Sep 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4072652)   #260
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
What point are you making by referring to Alfa as Sauber?

(I know about the history of the team, I mean why do you refuse to acknowledge the name change?)

Alfa is a sponsor, not the owner of the team
Old 8 Sep 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4072654)   #261
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
I don't think Sauber actually own their team any more, do they?
Old 8 Sep 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4072658)   #262
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Exactly. Alfa Romeo has an agreement with Sauber Motorsports (the F1 team) for team naming rights. They don't own Sauber Motorsports and the F1 entry is owned/controlled (whatever is the right name) by Sauber Motorsports and not Alfa Romeo. Google tells me the current arrangement runs through 2024. Of course anything can change.

Richard
Old 8 Sep 2021, 19:22 (Ref:4072660)   #263
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Peter Sauber doesn't own controlling interest. Not sure if he owns any part of the team anymore or not. The new owner (controlling interest) is Longbow Finance S.A?

So...

Longbow Finance S.A owns Sauber Motorsports which runs an F1 team named Alfa Romeo Racing. Clear as mud. And I expect the actual ownership is more complicated than just Longbow.

Richard
Old 8 Sep 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4072661)   #264
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I get all that. I'm just curious as to why peebee2 makes a point of referring to the team as Sauber rather than by the sponsor name under which it races.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 19:37 (Ref:4072662)   #265
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
sauber-group.com
Old 8 Sep 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4072667)   #266
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Peter Sauber doesn't own controlling interest. Not sure if he owns any part of the team anymore or not. The new owner (controlling interest) is Longbow Finance S.A?

So...

Longbow Finance S.A owns Sauber Motorsports which runs an F1 team named Alfa Romeo Racing. Clear as mud. And I expect the actual ownership is more complicated than just Longbow.

Richard

At the time that Longbow took over, all the shares in Sauber were sold to them and Peter Sauber retired from the board. It would appear that Longbow is a finance company based in Switzerland, but has very strong connections with a number of very, very wealthy business people from Finland. Ericsson, who was one of their drivers at that time, was thought to have brought significant sponsorship from these individuals back then.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4072670)   #267
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I get all that. I'm just curious as to why peebee2 makes a point of referring to the team as Sauber rather than by the sponsor name under which it races.
Because Sauber is the name of the team. That’s why.

Like I don’t call Ferrari ‘Shell’ or Mercedes ‘Petronas.’
Old 8 Sep 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4072674)   #268
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So I guess Hamilton drives for Daimler AG and Alonso for Groupe Renault?
Old 8 Sep 2021, 21:05 (Ref:4072677)   #269
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
We all know what someone means when they say Sauber, not sure what the beef is with that?

The Renault seats are filled as well I think.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 21:10 (Ref:4072678)   #270
S griffin
Veteran

Alfa is more than a sponsor. It’s the name of the car/chassis too
Old 8 Sep 2021, 21:44 (Ref:4072682)   #271
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
So I guess Hamilton drives for Daimler AG and Alonso for Groupe Renault?
Daimler AG doesn’t own an F1 team, so no.

Almost everybody I know calls Alpine “the Enstone team.”
Old 8 Sep 2021, 21:46 (Ref:4072683)   #272
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Alfa is more than a sponsor. It’s the name of the car/chassis too
Naming rights. The car is still a Sauber. It’s the name of the team and constructor after all.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 22:06 (Ref:4072685)   #273
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
For one thing, if the team was really Alfa Romeo it would be a lot more stylish.

Least Italian team uniforms ever! They look like a bunch of electrical contractors.

For an "Italian" racing team, they seem awfully Swiss...
Old 8 Sep 2021, 22:13 (Ref:4072686)   #274
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Because Sauber is the name of the team. That’s why.

Like I don’t call Ferrari ‘Shell’ or Mercedes ‘Petronas.’
I swear there is a video somewhere that I can't find right now. I think it might be on the official Formula 1 channel. Regardless, they are talking to team bosses and I think they are asking them to introduce themselves and they are struggling to say the right sequence of words for the team names and are looking to someone beside them (probably whoever their press secretary is) to help them.

It doesn't help when you team name is something like...

"Budweiser Bud Light Platinum Racing powered by Oracle NetSuite"

Are you Budweiser Racing, Bud Light Racing, Platinum Racing, Bud Racing, Oracle Racing, NetSuite Racing or maybe all of those at the same time?

Richard
Old 8 Sep 2021, 23:01 (Ref:4072689)   #275
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Naming rights. The car is still a Sauber. It’s the name of the team and constructor after all.

Oh right, so why has Sauber yet to score any points in the constructor championship then?