Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Oct 2014, 10:15 (Ref:3467049)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Veggie Co Drivers In V8Supercar

A nice day spent watching the recorded coverage of the race. Amazing to see some of the subtleties that the on-track show may have missed

What a great race!

So many incidents and accidents and strategies and pitstops... The fastest car of the day got the win, despite its challenges earlier in the day..

Last to first... Wow!

Does this event also suggest that the outright pace of the codriver ismt as important as their ability to circulate & stay out of trouble...

Unbelievable
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Oct 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3466425)   #2
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Does this event also suggest that the outright pace of the codriver ismt as important as their ability to circulate & stay out of trouble...
So it's been about 5 or 6 years since the main drivers have had to be split.
What's everyone's thoughts on it? Has it been a good idea?

I'm in two minds. Puts more can in contention and stops the 2nd team car from being a grid filler with pay drivers, but I miss the gun driver combos.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3466451)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if you go off what Mr Moffat Snr was saying, you'd just need a co-driver capable of circulating at a reasonable pace without hurting the car. Which is what the likes of Mr Morris, Mr Douglas, etc may have achieved if the track hadn't fallen apart.

When you look at the approach the #1 car took, it had it's neck wrung the entire day with both drivers on board, chewing through fuel and tyres. Whereas, the #6 car ran to a different tempo.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3466581)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
So it's been about 5 or 6 years since the main drivers have had to be split.
What's everyone's thoughts on it? Has it been a good idea?

I'm in two minds. Puts more can in contention and stops the 2nd team car from being a grid filler with pay drivers, but I miss the gun driver combos.
Was for the move then, for it now. No change

More cars in contention is great. Not watching a gun driver sitting on the bench in dying minutes is great.

Not watching a car with two gun drivers competing against a car , who for sponsorship reason cant combine or because of single car team cant have two gun drivers, has meant a better competition

some statistical info. average cars on lead lap 2005-2009 12.
average cars on lead lap 2010-2014 - 18

anecdotally, don't hear people complaining about it any more.

I reckon the bigger issue is E85. hasn't taken off like it was hoped. Has lead to more pit stops and slower lap times (taking aside this years re-surface)
Old 20 Oct 2014, 05:11 (Ref:3466656)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a fan of the rule, never have been. For starters if I owned a car i shoul dbe able to choose who i want to drive, not be told "elvis must drive this car, Ringo must drive that car"

Wouldn't a Moffat/Caruso match-up in a Nissan be a much more competitive proposition over the course of a race (speed wise) than what we saw last week, similiarly Holdsworth/Will Davison in the Erebus E63?
Old 20 Oct 2014, 05:59 (Ref:3466664)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Not a fan of the rule, never have been. For starters if I owned a car i shoul dbe able to choose who i want to drive, not be told "elvis must drive this car, Ringo must drive that car"

Wouldn't a Moffat/Caruso match-up in a Nissan be a much more competitive proposition over the course of a race (speed wise) than what we saw last week, similiarly Holdsworth/Will Davison in the Erebus E63?
but you are not a team owner, you are a spectator

Would you be happy with 1 volvo, 1 erebus, 2 nissans and 3 fords competing for the win then. I'm not

The current system has given us the some of the closest races we have ever had
Old 20 Oct 2014, 07:38 (Ref:3466684)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
but you are not a team owner, you are a spectator

Would you be happy with 1 volvo, 1 erebus, 2 nissans and 3 fords competing for the win then. I'm not

The current system has given us the some of the closest races we have ever had
Last weekend we were left with no Erebus & no Nissan's competing for the win.

A Moffat/Caruso combination could have been right amongst it.

Close finishes would have happened without the rule.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3466687)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Last weekend we were left with no Erebus & no Nissan's competing for the win.

A Moffat/Caruso combination could have been right amongst it.

Close finishes would have happened without the rule.
just saying Nissan finished 2nd and Erebus fouth (passed on the last lap) sounds like they were competing for a win
Old 20 Oct 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3466705)   #9
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
just saying Nissan finished 2nd and Erebus fouth (passed on the last lap) sounds like they were competing for a win
Beat me to it Pecky!
Old 20 Oct 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3466724)   #10
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick
Beat me to it Pecky!
Don't be ridiculous

Did either car run in the lead group all day?

You also lost Whincup, Lowndes, Winterbottom, SVG and Coulthard in the last 20 laps to elevate the cars up the order.

They stayed out of trouble and got a result, they weren't running with the lead group 20 laps from the end though.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3466728)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous

Did either car run in the lead group all day?

You also lost Whincup, Lowndes, Winterbottom, SVG and Coulthard in the last 20 laps to elevate the cars up the order.

They stayed out of trouble and got a result, they weren't running with the lead group 20 laps from the end though.
The leader didnt lead a lap to the last lap, not sure your point here. 2nd and 4th at the end. thats when it counts, not 20 laps from the end

in fact just checking Nissans led 5 laps for the day and car 360 was leading 27 laps from the end
Old 23 Oct 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3467509)   #12
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta agree with Pecky on this one. Much sooner have all the main gamers in their own cars to increase the number of potential winners at the start of the race. Also, from the championship perspective, it means the team mates are still competing with each other. If I was below my team mate in championship points, but still in contention, I would hate knowing that no matter what happened, I couldn't make any ground on him.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 04:48 (Ref:3469601)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably...

...means Mr Youlden might be back at BJR next year..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Oct 2014, 05:33 (Ref:3469608)   #14
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although some co-drivers do an excellent job and Sandown and Bathurst have traditionally been two driver races I don't really like the idea of having a two driver race at the Gold Coast street circuit.

The track is tricky enough for regular main series drivers and the varying quality of co drivers turns the event into a bit of a raffle, a twin 200 or 250 km race would be OK..

Any reason why this event is a two driver race and every other street circuit is main drivers only?
Old 29 Oct 2014, 05:36 (Ref:3469609)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Although some co-drivers do an excellent job and Sandown and Bathurst have traditionally been two driver races I don't really like the idea of having a two driver race at the Gold Coast street circuit.

The track is tricky enough for regular main series drivers and the varying quality of co drivers turns the event into a bit of a raffle, a twin 200 or 250 km race would be OK..

Any reason why this event is a two driver race and every other street circuit is main drivers only?
in theory its longer, but it also allows the pirtek enduro cup to mean something.

Its a bit of a carry over from the earlier v8 only days with international drivers. But i think it is part of the contract with the QLD government.

That being said i dont think it really adds much to have co drivers at the round (good experience fore for co drivers though)
Old 29 Oct 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3469614)   #16
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GC enduro is just a gimmick and should be put to death. An enduro should be a long, single race only, not something concocted to please the marketing types.

There is no reason physically why the regulars couldn't do the full races on both days. Yes it would be tough on fitness, condtioning etc but no worse than Clipsal.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3469615)   #17
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
The GC enduro is just a gimmick and should be put to death. An enduro should be a long, single race only, not something concocted to please the marketing types.

There is no reason physically why the regulars couldn't do the full races on both days. Yes it would be tough on fitness, condtioning etc but no worse than Clipsal.
A compulsory 45 minute red flag in the middle of the race would enable the drivers to recover and they could repair some of the cars whilst there at it
Old 29 Oct 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3469651)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't mind the two-driver events.

Although, I don't have the foggiest idea why they can amass championship points. Seems pointless, ironically.