Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Which car do they choose for the WEC race???
BMW M6 16 34.78%
BMW Z5 15 32.61%
New Coupe based on 7 series platform 7 15.22%
i8 (without hybrid) 3 6.52%
Others (Please stated the car) 5 10.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Sep 2016, 01:23 (Ref:3676032)   #1
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

AkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW confirmed in GTE in 2018

One of the world’s most recognisable automotive companies, BMW, has announced that it will be joining the FIA World Endurance Championship from 2018.

As part of its global motorsport strategy, BMW will enter the LMGTE category alongside current prestigious manufacturers such as Aston Martin, Ferrari, Ford, and Porsche. Its entry in the world championship will also mark a return to the cornerstone of the WEC, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, for the first time since 2011.

BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt commented: “Starting with the 2018 season, we want to further expand our activities in GT racing and compete in the FIA World Endurance Championship… This obviously also includes our return to Le Mans, which we are particularly looking forward to. The way the WEC has developed so well makes us confident that there is a big future for GT racing.”

By the way , BMW has yet to reveal details the replacement for the M6 GT LM with which it competes in IMSA with the Rahal team.
Permission was granted by IMSA and BMW's rivals in the GT Le Mans class to allow it to compete with an upgraded version of its M6 GT3, which means it is not eligible for the WEC.

Options could include an M-brand car based on the common chassis platform shared by the 5, 6 and 7-series cars and the forthcoming Z5, which replaces the Z4 and is being co-developed with Toyota.

Old 30 Sep 2016, 02:00 (Ref:3676035)   #2
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Should add a poll on the type of car they will use! I think it will be the Z5 or a new high end model coupe above the 6 series.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 03:42 (Ref:3676047)   #3
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

AkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Should add a poll on the type of car they will use! I think it will be the Z5 or a new high end model coupe above the 6 series.
Cool down... This is the discussion thread . I can add the poll but which type of car they will use is the challenge because there's lot of car they are using .

By the way , I think they should used next generation of BMW M6 as M6 GT3 is used in GT3 car and GTLM series .
Old 30 Sep 2016, 03:50 (Ref:3676049)   #4
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkioAsakura95 View Post
Cool down... This is the discussion thread . I can add the poll but which type of car they will use is the challenge because there's lot of car they are using .

By the way , I think they should used next generation of BMW M6 as M6 GT3 is used in GT3 car and GTLM series .
I'm 'cooled down' I think a poll would be a nice option to see what people's opinions are. You don't have to add one, it was a suggestion.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 04:32 (Ref:3676053)   #5
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I do recall seeing a rendering or some other illustration of a so-called M8 on Facebook on one of the racing pages I follow. It looks like it could be a mid-engined car. Overall, the rendering looks kinda weird, but it's just an illustration:

http://www.fanswec.org/fia-wec-proch...w-gte-etre-m8/
Old 30 Sep 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3676141)   #6
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh god if it is an M8 based on the i8 platform then BMW will have hit a homerun...that rendering and car look sweet!

I am guessing a coupe based on the M6 though similar in design to the Mercedes GT.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3676145)   #7
outnumbered
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading
outnumbered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a puzzler isn't it. They still don't really have a suitable car that competes in the market with the others in the class . Hence the M3 GT2 requiring all those waivers, as they had the same problem back then.

I'm a BMW fan, so am pleased to see them back, with whatever it's going to be.

I'd prefer GTE to be for real cars, so would rather they didn't do what Ford just did with the GT, but since that's a technique that obviously works, they may be very tempted to do it.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3676148)   #8
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
it's a puzzler isn't it. They still don't really have a suitable car that competes in the market with the others in the class . Hence the M3 GT2 requiring all those waivers, as they had the same problem back then.

I'm a BMW fan, so am pleased to see them back, with whatever it's going to be.

I'd prefer GTE to be for real cars, so would rather they didn't do what Ford just did with the GT, but since that's a technique that obviously works, they may be very tempted to do it.
@outnumbered

Same here , I am BMW fans too ! Speaking about BMW WEC GTE in 2018 they ought to used next generation of BMW M6 GTE in 2018 season

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using Tapatalk
Old 30 Sep 2016, 18:28 (Ref:3676163)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Would be great if it's a car with the looks of the i8.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3676184)   #10
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I want to see the i8 with a hybrid powertrain but I feel it will be something more traditional.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 01:11 (Ref:3676189)   #11
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW has a massive void to fill. I'm expecting an all new car.

Audi competes with the R8, Mercedes competes with the AMG GT line, and where does that leave BMW? BMW has no $100-$200k 2 seater sportscar.
It's a void that would make business sense to fill at any moment so I'd like to see something all new.

Maybe there is no "Z5" but instead an "M coupe" successor. Perhaps there really is no Supra successor either, but something else entirely.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 03:14 (Ref:3676193)   #12
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
BMW has a massive void to fill. I'm expecting an all new car.

Audi competes with the R8, Mercedes competes with the AMG GT line, and where does that leave BMW? BMW has no $100-$200k 2 seater sportscar.
It's a void that would make business sense to fill at any moment so I'd like to see something all new.

Maybe there is no "Z5" but instead an "M coupe" successor. Perhaps there really is no Supra successor either, but something else entirely.
@Articus
Me too. I think they used next gen of BMW M6 as the GTE car . As next gen of BMW M6 will be sports car designed to lock out the Porsche 911

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/6-s...sche-911-rival
Old 1 Oct 2016, 04:01 (Ref:3676195)   #13
TF110
Veteran

United States
My bet is the m6 will probably stay a cruiser style gt and not a sports car.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 05:33 (Ref:3676196)   #14
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

Quote:
My bet is the m6 will probably stay a cruiser style gt and not a sports car.
C'mon . BMW 8 series is launching for the future that the New Coupe is based on 7 series platform. So BMW 6 Series will be sports car.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/957...clusive-images
Old 1 Oct 2016, 06:12 (Ref:3676197)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
2-Series for me, or the Z5 I think.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3676284)   #16
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John Hindhaugh in PLM commentary more or less confirmed that it will be a new car based on 7 Series platform, as far as he knows. Z5 will be convertible only.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3676457)   #17
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkioAsakura95 View Post
C'mon . BMW 8 series is launching for the future that the New Coupe is based on 7 series platform. So BMW 6 Series will be sports car.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/957...clusive-images
That's not definitive. Auto Express is only one outlet talking about that test car. Others are saying that it's basically the mule for the new 6 series.
Old 2 Oct 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3676816)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
2-Series for me, or the Z5 I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
John Hindhaugh in PLM commentary more or less confirmed that it will be a new car based on 7 Series platform, as far as he knows. Z5 will be convertible only.

Exactly as Mike E said, Toyota apparently has the exclusive use of the platform as a coupe so a Z5 GTE car would be unlikely. It sounds like the return of the 8 series is more what BMW has in mind. I'm thinking a similar thing to the NSX as a hybrid streetcar with them playing the rules to make a GTE engine out of it. Course at the same time Hindy also made it sound like they were working on an LMP1 car if I'm remembering correctly through the sun and beer induced fog
Old 2 Oct 2016, 20:06 (Ref:3676828)   #19
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
M8

L.P.
Old 2 Oct 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3676869)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Exactly as Mike E said, Toyota apparently has the exclusive use of the platform as a coupe so a Z5 GTE car would be unlikely. It sounds like the return of the 8 series is more what BMW has in mind. I'm thinking a similar thing to the NSX as a hybrid streetcar with them playing the rules to make a GTE engine out of it. Course at the same time Hindy also made it sound like they were working on an LMP1 car if I'm remembering correctly through the sun and beer induced fog
I haven't seen that information before. Where did you read that? I have read the two cars will be like the BRZ/GT86 except different types of styling and engine. I don't know why BMW would only want a convertible when they're testing the fixed roof version and soft top concurrently. But I don't know for certain so I wonder if that's true.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 00:40 (Ref:3676887)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I haven't seen that information before. Where did you read that? I have read the two cars will be like the BRZ/GT86 except different types of styling and engine. I don't know why BMW would only want a convertible when they're testing the fixed roof version and soft top concurrently. But I don't know for certain so I wonder if that's true.
Something Hindy had said when they were talking about BMW going to WEC and LM with a full spec homologated car. I haven't seen much in the main 'print' but haven't been looking for any details myself.

I would assume BMW want the soft top to replace the Z4 and are making it a softer boulevarder than a sportscar, and thus are dropping the coupe from the range as it apparently sold terribly. And that's for a car that apparently sold terribly in general.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 08:36 (Ref:3676944)   #22
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Course at the same time Hindy also made it sound like they were working on an LMP1 car if I'm remembering correctly through the sun and beer induced fog
He did also say that... And mentioned a mountain of money set aside for it.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 09:30 (Ref:3676956)   #23
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
It's fairly obvious that LMP1 is on BMWs mind and as we say in German, "Aufgeschoben ist nicht aufgehoben", which roughly translates to "Just because you postpone something does not mean it's not going to happen"

I think the GTE effort is a trial for BMW in many ways, if they feel they´re getting their money's worth for being part of the WEC then they'll join LMP1 as soon as the rules fit the technology they want to bring.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3676988)   #24
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
It's fairly obvious that LMP1 is on BMWs mind and as we say in German, "Aufgeschoben ist nicht aufgehoben", which roughly translates to "Just because you postpone something does not mean it's not going to happen"

I think the GTE effort is a trial for BMW in many ways, if they feel they´re getting their money's worth for being part of the WEC then they'll join LMP1 as soon as the rules fit the technology they want to bring.
@Acid09
Well said!!!! When I look the article regarding the BMW LMP1 participation , The title is "BMW Rules out LMP1 Program" . When I read this article , I think this planning and this things is not gonna to happen at all, but this one is just the postpone instead of aborting the plan.

And BMW participate WEC in LMGTE-Pro category is the trial for BMW participate for WEC race because they didn't race WEC for a long time.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/03/bm...-lmp1-program/
Old 4 Oct 2016, 04:47 (Ref:3677135)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
I think BMW will do lmp1 if hydrogen is allowed. I'd like to think Toyota would want to as well with their Mirai road car being the hydrogen fc car right now.