Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 May 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2874692)   #2651
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport say the latest engine spec was tested on the bench last week, before the team goes off to Motorland Aragon next week.
Old 5 May 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2874828)   #2652
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Autosport say the latest engine spec was tested on the bench last week, before the team goes off to Motorland Aragon next week.

But presumably they tested the old engine spec. before heading to the Test Day...?
Old 5 May 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2874834)   #2653
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The issue that brought their test day run to a premature end was know of prior, but the part was delayed.
Old 5 May 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2874841)   #2654
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds to me that they went to the test day knowing the engine would fail at some point, but ran anyway as a) they had too and b) they might as well get all the laps in they could.

Ok so it failed quite early; they took a gamble and lost.
Old 6 May 2011, 16:39 (Ref:2875442)   #2655
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN View Post
It sounds to me that they went to the test day knowing the engine would fail at some point, but ran anyway as a) they had too and b) they might as well get all the laps in they could.

Ok so it failed quite early; they took a gamble and lost.
I guess there's also the critical issue that as a new car it needs to have done two events prior to Le Mans - and by running, in an albeit abortive manner, at the test day they got that out of the way and could take the view that skipping Spa was right for them - and I guess if it frees up the time and resources to a properly programmed test at Aragon rather than trying to test under race conditions at Spa (with the real possibility of car damage given what the weekend's been like so far) then that's probably the correct call.
Old 6 May 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2875483)   #2656
SimonXS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth UK
SimonXS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
And that is EXACTLY why rules should favour newer technology.
If racing is to inprove the breed the rules shouldn't be the equivalent of a vasectomy.
Let's hope that hybrid technology gets the same breaks from the ACO.
You could argue that Diesels have an unfair advantage of running turbos on bigger capacity engines than petrols are allowed. I'd like to see a N/a Diesel be anywhere near as quick as a N/a Petrol.

Diesels are aloud to run turbos on big capacity, Petrols can't. If you left it open I.e a 3.7 Turbo V6 Petrol Vs. 3.7 Turbo Diesel the Petrol would win hands down! Not only through power, but weight too.

And no. Lets hope Hybrid technology F's off, I want noise and atmosphere when I attend Le Mans, not a quite Whooosh noise. I think I speak for most Le Mans fans there.
Old 6 May 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2875490)   #2657
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonXS View Post
I'd like to see a N/a Diesel be anywhere near as quick as a N/a Petrol.
Why? To confirm what everyone knows: diesel engines don't rev, so they need more torque (and hence forced induction/bigger displacement) to produce power.

Almost all road diesel engines are turbocharged. Why make rules that mandate technology from the last millenium (i.e., N/A diesel)? That would the same as mandating carburators instead of manifold or direct fuel injection on petrol cars...
Old 6 May 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2875526)   #2658
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When the equivalence balance debate stops in the Audi R18 thread it starts up here .

Seriously - there exist a thread for this topic, please continue there, and perhaps make a reference to that thread, when ever you all feel discussing it.
Old 6 May 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2875540)   #2659
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Sorry, I forgot to look at the title of this thread when replying
Old 7 May 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2875749)   #2660
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
But presumably they tested the old engine spec. before heading to the Test Day...?
I heard on the grapevine that prior to LM test they ran for considerable amount of time at Donnington. Not sure if this is 100% correct, but even so compared to LM they would not have been on full throttle for very long periods.
Old 8 May 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2876673)   #2661
reef1234
Rookie

reef1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 hour Donington test isn't considerable.... Like a shakedown!
Old 8 May 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2876811)   #2662
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there any chance that Aston Martin is considering a new engine config.????
Old 8 May 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2876820)   #2663
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Is there any chance that Aston Martin is considering a new engine config.????
The internal volume of the concept certainly would allow for that. But the cost associated would be prohibitive.
Old 8 May 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2877035)   #2664
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are they going testing this week then? Andy Meyrick tweeted a bit ago he was off to Spain for testing duties.
Old 8 May 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2877042)   #2665
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
See earlier message from JAG:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Old 8 May 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2877043)   #2666
acox93
Racer

United Kingdom
surrey
acox93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Are they going testing this week then? Andy Meyrick tweeted a bit ago he was off to Spain for testing duties.
2 day test at Motorland Aragon
Old 9 May 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2877339)   #2667
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/c...artin-amr-one/ explains the design process of the AMR-One, which included the use of CFD and a rapid prototype 3D printer. It has a great picture of a mockup of the straight 6 engine.
I came across some more pictures of rapid prototype engine components:
http://i.imgur.com/VKzOS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VKzOS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IugKq.jpg

The turbo looks rather small?
Old 9 May 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2877723)   #2668
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Congrats to Jota for job well done
Old 10 May 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2877903)   #2669
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
The 300 hp quoted doesn't seem reliable. Simple calculations for hp absorbed given the top speed achieved by the AMR-One requires a unrealistically low drag coefficient to achieve the 187 mph trap speed the AMR-One set in the first practice session. Calculating for hp absorbed using the 187 mph top speed and a frontal area of 1.71 m^2 yields a .cd of .37 from 303 hp. A realistic LM .cd for an open top car is approaching .6 (.57-.59), around .5 for a closed top car.

Working the other way and solving for hp and again utilizing the 187 mph top speed, 1.71 m^2, and a more representative .57 cd yields 468 hp at the wheels, about 520 hp at the dyno. Going "high side" and using .59 gives us 485 at the wheels and 539 hp before transmission loss.
Mike revised his calculations and now estimates that the (detuned) Aston Martin engine produces between 465 and 502 hp: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay11.html
Perhaps Sam of RCE just made a typo and meant 500 instead of 300 bhp.

To put things into perspective Mike estimates that the Judd 3.4 V8 produces around 570 hp and the Peugeot 3.7 V8 HDI between 594 and 609 hp.

BTW Mike also reveals why a number of engine manufacturers (including Aston Martin, Audi and Judd) quote 540 bhp as their official power output:
Quote:
Looking at it another way, 540 hp is within 2% of the target the ACO set for everyone and is a convenient number for Judd to claim.
Note that HPD and Toyota just say 500+ bhp.
Old 10 May 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2878045)   #2670
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Another day of testing in Aragon: http://twitter.com/#!/AdrianF007/sta...49389527412737

Judging from the picture the exhaust still exists on the side. The original position (next to the dorsal fin) is covered with black carbon.
Old 10 May 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2878089)   #2671
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
BRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mike revised his calculations and now estimates that the (detuned) Aston Martin engine produces between 465 and 502 hp: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay11.html
Perhaps Sam of RCE just made a typo and meant 500 instead of 300 bhp.

To put things into perspective Mike estimates that the Judd 3.4 V8 produces around 570 hp and the Peugeot 3.7 V8 HDI between 594 and 609 hp.

BTW Mike also reveals why a number of engine manufacturers (including Aston Martin, Audi and Judd) quote 540 bhp as their official power output:
Note that HPD and Toyota just say 500+ bhp.
Having PM'ed Mike about the Pescarolo some time ago I can only say,
1. torque is you friend .
2. A well developed open car with a turbo engine could be very close to the top.
Old 10 May 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2878165)   #2672
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG View Post
Having PM'ed Mike about the Pescarolo some time ago I can only say,
1. torque is you friend .
2. A well developed open car with a turbo engine could be very close to the top.
You're the reason I did some more investigating.

Though I don't agree that a open car can compete. We're only looking at straightline speed. And to achieve these straightline speeds requires a very trimmed out car I should think. In my Oak Pesca example, it's carrying 40 lbs more drag and still is 10 km/h down in straightline speed. I mention the Pesca here because I don't believe you can get drag much lower for a open car than what I've calculated. I think the Aston figures are more appropriate. And at a minimum it has 80 lbs more drag. At maximum it's 150+.
Old 10 May 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2878259)   #2673
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
BRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
You're the reason I did some more investigating.

Though I don't agree that a open car can compete. We're only looking at straightline speed. And to achieve these straightline speeds requires a very trimmed out car I should think. In my Oak Pesca example, it's carrying 40 lbs more drag and still is 10 km/h down in straightline speed. I mention the Pesca here because I don't believe you can get drag much lower for a open car than what I've calculated. I think the Aston figures are more appropriate. And at a minimum it has 80 lbs more drag. At maximum it's 150+.

Here is somthing I posted on May 1st on another thread

"Sam at Racecar Engineering has this on his site (from lm testday)

CORNER TIMES
The following times are not a complete sample, but were taken at the first right hand sweep of the Porsche Curves.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/e...al-report-lmp/

The Pescarolo 01 no 15 (oak) is the 2nd quickest overall.
We already know that that car was the quickest petrol vmax.
We also see that Oak says they did many 2 lap stints and were not interested in lap times.
What is this cars potential?"

Mike if you think the car is very trimmed out how do you explain the Pescarolo corner speed?
BRG

Last edited by BRG; 10 May 2011 at 17:20. Reason: added
Old 11 May 2011, 07:19 (Ref:2878555)   #2674
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Mike revised his calculations and now estimates that the (detuned) Aston Martin engine produces between 465 and 502 hp.
With a lower drive train loss (6% instead of 10%) the estimated power output is 445-481 hp.

See http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay11.html
Old 11 May 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2878746)   #2675
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did any one know how the Aragon test went??? any pics? any development??? any decision related to Le Mans??

So many question´s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!