Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Apr 2000, 19:54 (Ref:8103)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the old days when formula 1 drivers would compete in other classes too.
They drove in formula 2, non-championship races, sportscar races etc.
Today it seems they are only concentrating on formula 1 itself.
Why is this?
Is it the money, are they that much overpaid they don't need the prize money from other series?
Are they afraid they might hurt themselves in other races.
Has racing in formula 1 become so specialized they can't drive other cars?
Are there maybe contractual restrictions?
Are they too busy promoting stuff.
I remember Stirling Moss once drove 80 races in 1 year.
What is the reason todays drivers are concentrating on just formula one.

I actually don't have any idea why.
Old 16 Apr 2000, 20:53 (Ref:8104)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most likely a combination of factors that you listed, especially injury, time, and contractual restrictions. Plus I think a lot of them disdain any other form of racing and see it as beneath them. But then again, some guys like Shuey go karting against CART guys like Tracy, so I don't want to genenralize
Old 16 Apr 2000, 21:07 (Ref:8105)   #3
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One word - money. As demonstrated in Tim's post on the where are they now topic, things are a million miles apart from what they were.

The drivers are now too busy sucking up to the sponsors to have time, though they probably wouldn't want to risk their millions on an accident in a minor race, even if the team's insurance companies would allow them.

I'm sure these guys still get into the sport for the love of it, but the love of money soon takes over once they get their first big pay cheque
Old 16 Apr 2000, 23:17 (Ref:8111)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, Michael, you're quite right. The W196 came to the circuit revival, and David Coulthard demonstrated it for 2 laps, waving to the crowds.

The sad thing was, afterwards, all he had to say was how dangerous, uncomfortable and awkward it seemed, and how he was glad he was driving his nice McLaren professionally these days.

I think it's an interesting contrast with Damon Hill, who leaped at the chance to go racing, and got Eddie Jordan's blessing to do so, before the end of the season.

If the organisers can get Mika Salo and Rubens Barrichello as race entries, as I know they are trying, I for one will be at the Fordwater Kink, craning over the fence for the best photo I can possibly get.

On Mercedes' no-risk policy, I wonder, whose is the W196 that has an entry for the Monaco race next month? Is that the ex-Beaulieu museum car, now in private hands?
Old 16 Apr 2000, 23:25 (Ref:8106)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the last two years, Damon Hill has competed at the Goodwood Circuit Revival, in a variety of Ferrari GTOs, and a Manx Norton motorcycle, all with Eddie Jordan's blessing.

While other people have been watching a Damon keen to see the back of his 1999 season, I saw a Damon trying so hard in a non-championship race, driving a valuable car that he's not contracted to, that he flung it at a gravel trap when going for a quick gearchange.

At the same event, David Coulthard demonstrated a Mercedes W196. Afterwards he had nothing but complaints about how tricky the driving position was, and how uneasy he felt even at cruising speed.

I understand Goodwood are interested in getting more current drivers into competitive seats this year for some racing. Mika Salo and Rubens Barrichello have made the most optimistic noises so far. It will be interesting to see what becomes of it.
Old 17 Apr 2000, 00:10 (Ref:8107)   #6
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course it's mainly the money, what else? In earlier times teams and drivers needed appearance and price money, as it was their only income before sponsorship era. When the Europe-America season was over, a lot of drivers even went to Australia to run the Tasman series, only because 4 months of doing nothing only few could afford.

But there are a lot of other reasons too. Don't forget that the influence of FIA/CSI was rather limited, they made the technical rules and issued the championship calendar, that was it. Every track owner, club, or association could organize a non-WC F1 race, if they had been able to arrange the necessary finance. And also everybody was allowed to build or buy his own car, and enter it into races (see Gerard's other topic). All things could not happen today, because FIA have banned them. Modern motorsport is divided in "series", in which a team has to register in advance. Simply entering a specific race by an outsider is not possible, and mostly even an additional car by an registered team is prohibited.

Another factor is also, that race car is not race car. Not only that one cannot compare a touring car with a monoposto, there are also worlds between F1 and CART (example Zanardi). Even when changing from one F1 team to another, drivers need countless testing km's to get familiar with the new car. And what about sponsor contracts? Each F1 team has numerous sponsors, some drivers even personal ones. I'm sure that any race in another series will produce conflicts of interest, only to name tyres. What about the time? I saw a TV report about the McLaren team, where was stated that Häkkinen and Coulthard work abt. 250 days per year. Between the races it is testing, testing, and testing, and of course also the sponsors need their return of investment. And last but not least, for sure the contracts between drivers and teams somewhere between page 432 and 622 will include clausula prohibiting racing for others.

Yes, the Schumacher brothers and some other F1 drivers compete sometimes in Kart races, but this is pure fun and no serious racing. And Goodwood? No racing, only demonstrations (legally!). Some like it and have a lot of fun, others have to participate as part of a sponsor campaign (Coulthard for Mercedes).

[This message has been edited by Michael M (edited 17 April 2000).]
Old 17 Apr 2000, 02:02 (Ref:8108)   #7
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was fortunate to cover motor racing at the hight of the Can-Am series. I would cover two F1 races in Europe and then come back to cover all the can-am races and many others. Every second weekend we would meet the F1 drivers that we covered in Europe and it was like a reunion. It was fun and we all got to know each other. After 1975 it became more difficult to talk to the drivers. As more money was paid the drivers more was expected of them. I can remember covering F1 when on Friday you could talk and joke with the drivers, Saturday it was tense and sunday you better wait until after the race. It was as if a spring was turned tighter and tighter until the race ended. I can remember times when Bruce Maclaren and Dennis Hulme would spend the evening of Saturday nigth sharing a barbeque with the marshalls at Mosport Park and then win the race next day. I don't think you will see this now. For one I much prefere the old way.
Old 17 Apr 2000, 08:11 (Ref:8109)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Heh, heh, Michael, my friend, consider this an recommendation to come visit Goodwood this September!

This is the Circuit Revival meeting, not the Festival of Speed. There is most certainly racing, of the closest kind.

On a negative note, there are several very fine motor cars that have had to be bashed back into shape afterwards because the racing got carried away!

But it's worth it to see (for example) Martin Brundle in a Jaguar D Type competing against Stirling Moss in an Aston Martin DBR1, and both of them fighting just as hard as they possibly can.
Old 17 Apr 2000, 10:55 (Ref:8110)   #9
Michael M
Racer

Tim, I know the Revival Meeting - although being never there unfortunately -, and correct, this is close racing of course. However, believe Coulthard and the W196 was at Festival of Speed, and if they presented the car also at the Revival, it was only demonstration, because MB policy is not to endanger their crown jewels in real racing anymore. Will do my best to come tis year, If I manage it, I will let you know.

PS: and even tough racing with historic cars IS FUN, and not work!!
Old 17 Apr 2000, 21:51 (Ref:8112)   #10
Paul Jeffrey
Rookie

Paul Jeffrey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THere is an amazing story from the 1965 British GP, which Clark won on the Saturday. Before GP practice Clark and several F1 boys flew out to Rouen to practice for an F2 race and then back to Rouen on the Saturday night for a final practice session and the race on the Sunday. Guess who won. Clark in an F2 Lotus of course.
Old 17 Apr 2000, 22:06 (Ref:8113)   #11
fatbloke
Veteran

Who was the last F1 driver to race in another series alongside F1 ? Would that have been Gerhard Berger when he was doing touring cars for BMW whilst racing in F1 for ATS ?

There is a wonderful story of Gerhard having his first ever F1 test at Zandvoort, whilst he was supposed to be in the BMW as teammate to Ravaglia at the Spa 24hour race. Ravaglia was left to circulate for four hours whilst Berger sprinted back across country, 'averaging the maximum speed of the car!', eventually arriving in time to, unhurriedly, step into the car as if nothing was amiss.
Apparently, on the way back to Spa, they had overtaken a slower moving car who was already in the outside lane between it and the central barrier! On arrival at the circuit, he couldn't understand what all the fuss was about... what a star! Though I don't expect it did Charlie Lamm's blood pressure much good!
Old 17 Apr 2000, 22:08 (Ref:8114)   #12
Michael M
Racer

Tim, David was lucky they put him into a 280 HP post war car, if they had given him the 640 HP W125, for sure they had to clean the seat afterwards.

Thought always the Beaulieu car was a loan from MB, do you have details? Also extremely interested about the Monaco race and the W196 entry, where can I find details?
Old 17 Apr 2000, 22:25 (Ref:8115)   #13
fatbloke
Veteran

Funnily enough, DC drove that very machine at the Mercedes'test track at Stuttgart in 1997 He described it as 'from another time' and 'frightening'! You can hardly imagine Carraciola, and chums, hammerinmg these things around back in the thirties, on tracks lined by trees...!
Old 17 Apr 2000, 22:26 (Ref:8116)   #14
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
There was, shall we say, a certain amount of "chicanery" about that W196.

Daimler-Benz gave it to the National Motor Museum, as a memento of Stirling Moss' Mercedes success - well, they weren't about to let the 300SLR out of their sight!

Because that individual W196 wasn't particularly significant as a Moss car, Beaulieu felt not a great deal of conscience about selling it when something they REALLY wanted came up. I can't remember precisely which one, but I think it may have been one of the Campbell Bluebirds.

Needless to say D-B were not altogether pleased at what happened to their gift.

I heard a whisper that it changed hands again at the start of the year, and that the new owner wants to campaign it gently.

At Donington this weekend, a friend said that he'd read that Willie Green has the drive. I'll try to pin him down on where he got that information.

I wonder if Willie Green's idea of gentle campaigning is the same as the proud owner's...
Old 22 Apr 2000, 09:32 (Ref:8117)   #15
Michael M
Racer

Tim, in fact Willie Green is driving the W196 at the Historic Monaco Grand Prix, official entrant is Friedhelm Loh, a German entrepeneur.

[This message has been edited by Michael M (edited 22 April 2000).]