Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Apr 2000, 10:30 (Ref:8214)   #26
AUSTRIA
Racer

AUSTRIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems, that we first have to fix some meanings. Probably we don't use them in the same way?

Trial: Testing something, of course sometimes possible also during a race
Trail: Something like a rallye? Done by pioneers (of course included in 'race')
Race: Competition. The fastest competitor wins, if he and his car match the rules and not is penalized.

To Question C) and Paris-Rouen:
Risking some more opposition I explain once more: It was no race - officially ! It was a 'trial of reliability'. regulation stated, that the winner would be the vehicle, that was without danger easily handled by the driver and low running of costs. The award was 5000 francs.
Quote: ' ... and instead awarded the prize jointly TO THE NEXT TWO LEADING CARS, a Peugeot and a Panhard-Levassor ... ' As Gerard listed correct, the next two cars had been two Peugeots. The prize was NOT awarded TO THE NEXT TWO LEADING CARS (sorry Dennis). The prize went instead jointly to Peugeot and Panhard&Levassor for 'conforming so well to the rules without, as yet, fully realizing the dreams of the tourist or the businessman'. De Dion was not disqualified, but had to be satisfied with the second prize of 2000 francs for his 'interesting steam tractor wich ... develops a speed absolutely beyond comparison, espacially when going uphill'. To read in 'Le Petit Journal'.

(Sources: Ivan Rendall - The Chequered Flag; Peter Roberts - Racing Cars and the History of Motor Sport)

So was it to call a race? The participants, especially De Dion and Levassor, went to change the event into a race, this is obvious. So far you can see it as a race, but official it never was one - although the speed of de Dions steamer was one reason to award him the second prize.

By the way, I have fond two competitions in 1896, lacking any further information:
Bordeaux - Langon
Bordeaux - Agen - Bordeaux
Does anybody of you sirs (I'm sorry, but it seems we have no ladies here ...) know anything more ?
Old 5 May 2000, 08:40 (Ref:8215)   #27
AUSTRIA
Racer

AUSTRIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition to the Ferrari-question i was doing some work on researching the Ferrari racing cars from 1947 and the following years. As I mentioned, there will soon come a own thread. But there is a big gap in my records concerning the Cars of the Scuderia Inter, that are the 166SC (166Inter) with the chassis-numbers 008I - 014I with F2-2liter-nonsupercharged-engines. Who can close this gap. Who built the cars (Scuderia Ferrari, Scuderia Inter or somewhere else) and who used the cars. What reason for setup a new form of Chassis-numbers. The differences to the 'normal' 'C'-cars of the 166SC-series. The instigators, the targets and all those things.