Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 9 May 2011, 21:53 (Ref:2877786)   #1
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

ScottWilkesPhotography should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Equipment query

Hey, new here.

Recently upgraded to my first DSLR (Nikon D3000) and have been looking at lenses.

Found the Sigma 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 DG / HSM which is in my budget.
Does anyone have experience with this? I can't really afford anymore.
Old 9 May 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2877806)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The APO version is worth the extra over the non APO version. If not, save a little more.
Old 9 May 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2877809)   #3
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
The APO version is worth the extra over the non APO version. If not, save a little more.
Whats the difference?
Old 10 May 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2877892)   #4
andrewc
Veteran

Better quality glass.

I had a Sigma 70-300 DG for a while. It was cheap and the quality wasn't very good. Quickly upgraded.
Old 10 May 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2877992)   #5
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Quote:
Better quality glass.

I had a Sigma 70-300 DG for a while. It was cheap and the quality wasn't very good. Quickly upgraded.
Oh I had read that it was a bit soft after 200mm but I doubt I'd go up to 300mm anyway.
Have you used the APO version then?
Old 10 May 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2877997)   #6
andrewc
Veteran

I've not used the APO version myself, but I've seen enough shots from people to see that the small amount extra for the APO version is money well spent.

For circuit motorsport, in the UK, from spectator areas, you will be using 300mm regularly assuming you want the car to fill most of the frame. Only a few circuits have areas where you can get away with much less.
Old 10 May 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2878003)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
For circuit motorsport, in the UK, from spectator areas, you will be using 300mm regularly assuming you want the car to fill most of the frame. Only a few circuits have areas where you can get away with much less.
i'd agree with this. i have a 100-400 and it's mostly between 300-400 for nearly all trackside photography at many circuits. i use 100-300 for pitlane walkabouts and grid shots (saves waving a camera in someone's face when they're trying to greet fans/wear their race face).
Old 10 May 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2878015)   #8
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Ah shoot They're just so expensive.
Old 10 May 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2878125)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it depends what you're going to be using the pictures for - if they're for your own enjoyment and learning your camera and how to make it do what you want then there's no reason why you shouldn't buy what you can afford and enjoy in the meantime. bear in mind that people are comparing its performance to some seriously expensive lenses that aren't really in the kind of price bracket most of us can afford! then when you can afford something better you can sell it on and put the proceeds towards an upgrade.

do you have a local independant camera shop that sells second hand lenses?
Old 10 May 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2878133)   #10
andrewc
Veteran

My first lens was a Sigma 70-300 DG Macro. The closer you got to 300mm the softer you got, but as a beginner i didn't really mind. However the slow focussing was a definate annoyance.

This was replaced with a Sigma 100-300 f4 EX which is a lens I would recommend to many people. Its sharp. It covers a useful range and its comparatively cheap It will take a teleconverter reasonably well, but modern high mega pixel cameras will crop just as well.

These can be picked up secondhand, a worthwhile investment.

You could probably sell on the cheaper lens and not loose too much money, or you could buy secondhand from one of the many camera forums, or Ebay.
Old 10 May 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2878159)   #11
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

I have spotted some online used for the same price as the non-apo version new.

At the moment most of my stuff is for me but I do have it displayed online, seeing where it leads.

At the moment I'm using a Panasonic Lumix FZ28 and am quite pleased, but like Bella mentioned, everything gets compared to people with white lenses. :\
Old 13 May 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2879907)   #12
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd recommend this 200mm lens Scott;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-55-200...5297516&sr=8-1

A fantastic lens for the money, with VR, and the crop factor of the D3000's DX sensor gives you an equivalent 300mm anyway.

Also, how about an old 'non-AF' lens? Plenty of bargains on Ebay and suchlike, for older, long focal length glass. And for shots of cars on track you'd probably be focussing manually anyway.

Or you always hire............. http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/sigma...-hsm-151-p.asp
Old 13 May 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2879913)   #13
andrewc
Veteran

300mm on a x1.6 crop is really what you need. 200mm really isn't enough for most circuits.

Modern AF does a pretty good job at tracking a racing car.
Old 13 May 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2879925)   #14
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personal choice I guess, but I prefer MF with cars. AF does a pretty good job as you say, but it's not 100% consistent.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2881515)   #15
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Ah, sorry for taking so long to reply! Teach me not to check *slaps*

Anywho. I was debating getting a MF lens. I see the Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G everywhere, just so long as I can still mess about with apeture.

As for renting... well, I wouldn't want to give it back

I need to sort one sharpish as my next event is MotoGP at Silverstone, really don't want to mess that up...
Old 17 May 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2881519)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
it's always good to have af there as an option, even if you don't use it in your main trackside stuff. for example, i use auto focus in the pitlane and for general snaps and where stuff is moving a bit slower! i have a nikon 100-400 or something like that and the af isn't quick enough for on-circuit stuff. af just helps you as the photographer get a bit more out of your lens and get better value for the money you're going to spend.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2881526)   #17
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's always good to have af there as an option, even if you don't use it in your main trackside stuff. for example, i use auto focus in the pitlane and for general snaps and where stuff is moving a bit slower! i have a nikon 100-400 or something like that and the af isn't quick enough for on-circuit stuff. af just helps you as the photographer get a bit more out of your lens and get better value for the money you're going to spend.
I'm keeping the 18-55mm kit lens for pitlane stuff and other generals, at the moment motorsport is the only thing I need a long lens for.
Old 17 May 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2881559)   #18
andrewc
Veteran

I have a 24-105 on one body and either a 100-300 zoom or a 300mm prime on the other.

Serves me well enough for most circuits. Silverstone requires a bit more length or a bit more cropping.
Old 17 May 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2881563)   #19
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Yeh, Silverstone is a swine for that.
I should also point out that I'm not one for shots that are "just car" as I call them lol, I like a bit of track or grass etc.
Old 17 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2881588)   #20
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWilkesPhotography View Post
... I see the Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G everywhere, just so long as I can still mess about with apeture.
I've owned this lens for 2-years (use it on a Nikon D300) and although it's a good lens I do find it a bit soft beyond 200mm and (as I'm getting pretty good results at that limit) I'm considering changing to a better quality lens up to 200mm and then maybe hiring for anything longer than that.

Personally I find that at a lot of circuits such as Cadwell, Oulton and Donington then 200mm is more than sufficient. I'd agree that with some e.g. Silverstone you can need something longer.

I did sort of rush into the 70-300 but now wish I'd hired a few different lenses and tried out various combinations first, so I'd certainly recommend hiring first to get the best feel for what suits you.
Old 17 May 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2881600)   #21
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I'd certainly recommend hiring first to get the best feel for what suits you.
I couldn't get away with hiring. The better half is already whinging that I'm looking to buy, she'd call it wasting money
Old 18 May 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2882172)   #22
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sony a900 full frame 24.6mp steadyshot in the body so you can use the very wide range of older minolta / konica glass.
70-400G
24-70CZ

Will cover just about everything you need, you will need to avoid the canon brainwashed crowd though as they all look down their noses at you

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 18 May 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2882287)   #23
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry - just re-read your initial post and you already have the body [must learn to read properly]

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 19 May 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2882833)   #24
ScottWilkesPhotography
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stallard View Post
Sorry - just re-read your initial post and you already have the body [must learn to read properly]

.DAVID.
Ha, no worries
Old 26 May 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2886223)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Your issue will be that as you have a 'cheap' Nikon DSLR, a LOT of metering options just won't work without a modern lens.

I think the D50 may have been the last 'economy' Nikon to do pretty much everything. It at least has a screwdriver for the old AF in Body lenses, where the current ones are AF in Lens.

Find a PROPER camera shop, and buy a clean used one. The issue being, it's hard to find a decent proper camera shop anymore!