Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Mar 2003, 18:42 (Ref:536296)   #1
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corvette here to stay

Considering GM's reluctancy - until the late '90s - to get involved with a factory sportscar program i am surprised by the longevity of the Corvette program...Surprised but absolutely thrilled. It's good to see that they will be with us until at least 2005 and I would imagine beyond that. They will be unveiling the C6 next year and the C6-R will see its first race at Sebring '05. I would imagine that they would run a factory C6 program for at least two years so it looks like they're set to run until at least 2006. After such reticence it's good to see that GM Racing and the ACO/ALMS have developed such a mutually beneficial realtionship. Love is in the air...
Old 14 Mar 2003, 18:55 (Ref:536307)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember, the Chevy/Corvette group have a very different philosophy from the rest of GM. (Thankfully.)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Mar 2003, 08:12 (Ref:536708)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
This involvement in GT class is good for the future, and could lead other factorys to come back at ALMS/ACO races, more officialy : Porsche, Ferrari, Ford, etc...

For Chevrolet, I'll say :
Old 15 Mar 2003, 18:10 (Ref:537181)   #4
danhx
Racer

Paul, that different philosophy was made apparent by the whole Cadillac ordeal. As far as i'm concerned they wasted a few million last year in building a car that would have been a strong contender for the championship this year and then quitting just as it started to come good. It's odd that you can get such conflicting interests within the same organization, but i guess that can happen within the biggest company in the world.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 16:14 (Ref:538154)   #5
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Team Oreca Dodge Vipers were the masters of GTS in the day.I wish that they were still running so that there would be good battles in GTS. Though, they are not here. Well, if the Prodrive Ferrari will get their act together, there is something to look forward to. Can't wait to Porsche come back with the Carrera GT and crush them all, as with the prototype class.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:04 (Ref:538248)   #6
danhx
Racer

The Viper - formerly plural - that Carsport North America (formerly American Viper Racing) runs in the ALMS is a former ORECA car. Many of the vipers run in GT competition have been built by ORECA since they have been able to develope the chassis so well, but not quite well enough to keep up with the pace of the lastest cars. Corvette will be at the top for while to come, but Ferrari will put up some strong competition. Although if Porsche does put the Carrera GT in the GTS class and throw Sascha Massen and Lucas Luhr behind the wheel they will be definite contenders.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 00:02 (Ref:538464)   #7
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, good news. With the new Viper will come a new race program (speculation). Prodrive is just getting started and then you have my team of choice. It seems GTS will be quite impressive for a while. I doubt the C6R (if that's what it will be called) will be awesome right away. But if Pratt and Miller don't have to make incredibly drastic changes to the chassis, it should just roll right along. Seems to be that the ALMS is all about Chevy and Audi.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 17 Mar 2003, 00:34 (Ref:538484)   #8
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
Seems to be that the ALMS is all about Chevy and Audi.
You might very well be right, but it seems that the Prodrive Ferrari 550 is not so far behind. In fact, if you look at the Sebring results, the Ferrari posted the best GTS lap time of 1:59:591.
http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/event...S_ProvRace.pdf

Does anyone have any good URL's for sites with technical details about the Corvette C5-R?

What is a C6-R? Would this use the GM Gen IV engine?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 18:40 (Ref:539262)   #9
danhx
Racer

A C6-R is the simply the race car based off of the next generation of Corvette called the C6. It should be fast right out of the gates since, unlike the C5-R, it's being developed at the same time as the new 'vette. I would imagine they'll have a test mule for the race car up and running by the beginning of '04 at the very latest; they already have test cars for the C6.

P.S. - As far as I know there will be no new Dodge race program since the new Viper's engine is too big. The engine size limit is 8.0 liters under the '02 rules, but the new engine is 8.3. I could be wrong since i still haven't read the rules for 2003, but I'm pretty sure the car is illegal. I guess they could shove an old engine in the new car, but i'm not sure if that's legal either.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 21:35 (Ref:539488)   #10
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found some C5-R stuff here:
http://www.c5rmotorsports.com/engine.htm
http://www.c5rmotorsports.com/chassis.htm
http://www.corvetteracing.net/race_news/c5rframe.htm

As for the Viper, I'm not sure why they couldn't reduce the engine size for racing? After all with the Corvette, they increase it from 5.7L to 7.0L.

Last edited by alfasud; 17 Mar 2003 at 21:37.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 22:26 (Ref:539557)   #11
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In testing today Tuesday March 17. one of the Prodrive Ferrari 550GTS cars recorded a best ever lap time of 1.57.8!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 22:59 (Ref:540698)   #12
danhx
Racer

Was that at Sebring?
Old 19 Mar 2003, 00:11 (Ref:540779)   #13
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put Maassen and Luhr behind the wheel of a GTS Carrera GT and we have an overall victory...

/k
Old 19 Mar 2003, 16:45 (Ref:541305)   #14
danhx
Racer

They're definitely not slouches behind the wheel.