Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2004, 21:33 (Ref:918388)   #1
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What makes a nations favourite?

This is a fairly nationalistic thread, but it applies to all countries who have had more than a few F1 drivers.

Moss, Hunt, Mansell, and Hill were the Britains favourites when they were behind the wheel of an F1 car.
Why not Coulthard, Herbert, Blundell, Brundle?

Of course the most obvious answer is that the former were WDCs or contenders for the championship. But before they were champions it always seemed that everyone was willing them to victory.
Britain was lucky to have 4 chaps on the grid last season. This season we have two, and I get the feeling that there is an awful lot more support for Button than the more experienced Couthard (not a coulthard bash, merely an observation), and his recent good publicity is reminding me a lot of Hill.
So the question is; what is the defining element that makes a nation want to follow one particular driver?

Is it purely media hype?
Is it the drivers charisma?
Driving style? Aggressive/smooth

You thoughts please.

Last edited by Son of Jor-El; 24 Mar 2004 at 21:34.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:05 (Ref:918426)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I was (and still am) a big Mansell fan.

Yes he does have monotone voice and he did tend to complain alot, but he was memorable. Whenever he was in the car he gave 100%. He was fun to watch. You knew there was going to be fireworks. The ups, the downs, everything.

Who could forget Silvertone '87? Hungary 1990? The passing move on Gerhard Berger round the outside at Mexico? Those are just three off the top of my head.

I also admire his determination both in and out of the car. In the car he took thing by the scruff of the neck. Outside the car, he sold his house just to go racing.

Damon Hill is another. He didn't have much to begin with, but he worked his way up to a Williams test contract. His development skills help Mansell to the Championship and then he got his chance.

He was almost the complete opposite to Mansell. In the car he looked slow, but deceptively fast.

As for Button, I really rooted for him in his first year at Williams, then the first pay cheque came through and he started the whole playboy thing and started buying fast cars and yauchts. I started to worry a little there, but now he's calmed down a bit and concentrating more on the racing. Being elevated to team leader has done him good.

He's been so close to the podium before and now he's got it, it's onwards and upwards.

Last edited by Spudgun; 24 Mar 2004 at 22:06.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:34 (Ref:918464)   #3
ollie86
Rookie

ollie86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to think it's media hype more than anything. Especially within the tabloids, there is a thing about always shouting for the favourites and hardly mentioning others. Hill, Mansell, Hunt and Moss etc always showed they had ability. The people who have an influence on the public are in newspapers, and these were written about more often than some names like Brundle, Blundell, Herbert etc. It's being played out again IMO with Button, young British driver with speed, the press love him, so people read about him and then support him, and, finally he's delivering the goods, whereas Coulthard is almost forgotten because Button is currently getting results.

Maybe the big attraction at first with Button was Williams. Likewise with Hill, did people really notice the guy driving for Brabham? It's only Williams which made people stand up and take note! So maybe it's a combination of media hype, driver talent and team reputation. At the end of the day, if you asked a British F1 fan to name a British driver last season, all would've said Button or Coulthard, and would've forgotten Firman and Wilson!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:07 (Ref:918504)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ollie86
I tend to think it's media hype more than anything.
Well judging by tomorrow's Autosport, Button will become a favourite.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:09 (Ref:918508)   #5
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I believe Hype plays a huge role in the popularity of any sportsman, you only have to look at the Button and Louise cr*p ITV have been pushing at us all season! and outside F1 look at the Beckhams, for god sake.

But I think it also has a lot to do with the country of origin and the teams they drive for. We in the UK love someone who triumphs in adversity (Mansel) or an eccentric (Hunt, especially at Hesketh). I am not sure TGF would be such a huge star in Germany if he swore at everyone and chased anything in a skirt like James Hunt did! And was he popular in Italy before he drove for Ferrari ?

** swatty dons nomex and waits for flames **
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:37 (Ref:918551)   #6
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it varies from country to country now that you mention it. For example, I am from the USA, which presently has no driver in F1 and so I have some favorites, whom I have chosen based upon a few things, one of which is personality, following skill of course.

This is not true for all however. Sometimes, when the TV cameras look to the fans, we see flags of countries. JPM for example is in favor with what seems to be ALL Columbians at a race. I believe, having followed F1 a number of years, that even if JPM was a mid-field runner or worse, those fans would be loyal to him. For many of them, it is more about Juan and Columbia than it is about Williams.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:50 (Ref:918569)   #7
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coming from Aus fellows like Jones and Sir Jack Brabam are known outside motor racing.Webber is known moreso now after the media got behind him this year.
The other Aussie in F1 is Ryan Brisco but ask anyone who doesn't follow F1 and the answer would be Who?
Look at Moto GP everyone knows Doohan and Gardiner but McCoy and Baylis no idea.
Here it seems unless you can get the media behind you you will remain a who until you start to win or get good PR people.

The Grumpy1
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:17 (Ref:918616)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It surely isn't charisma just czeck out the Finnish drivers.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:35 (Ref:918629)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the finns it's all about talent behind the wheel!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:48 (Ref:918638)   #10
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it purely media hype?
Is it the drivers charisma?
Driving style?
IT is all those things and more. the hype from an Aussie point of view is that we have not had a WDC in 20yrs and if an aussie driver shows glimpes of potential then we go for it! Mark is showing he is capable of breaing our 20yr drought hence the media hype

He also has the typical aussie attitute - hard working, down to earth and had to battle to keep is F1 dream alive which has has done.

and he is a bloody good driver!
Old 25 Mar 2004, 06:57 (Ref:918783)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got to Silverstone, look at the flags and you'll see Coulthard does have support.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 07:09 (Ref:918790)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
McLaren,Hulme,Amon...................Dixon