Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jan 2022, 09:01 (Ref:4094530)   #46
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The trouble is that there are not that many series that encourage that approach and too many one make series.
TBH I wouldn't dream of doing it . . . . a work colleague sold a 3 series race car for £3500 last year, that is cheap racing! I've spent more than that this winter on what is essentially servicing, and thats doing the 'work' myself.
Old 28 Apr 2022, 10:07 (Ref:4108309)   #47
Chuck.U.Farley
Rookie

Chuck.U.Farley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best periods were 1972 - 89 Australian touring car / BTCC 62 - 91 / Bikes (motogp) 76 - 95 / Formula 1 - 66 - 87 / Rallying - always pretty good since '60s .. But having said that how good is vintage racing right now!? I mean, events like goodwood and Monterey Historics pull a better grid and crowd than an F1 race and theres alos the millions watching from around the world online. Why is that? I don't think I even need answer that..

I think though, some of these cars are going to become so valuable that racing them is just going to become too foolhardy. Presently they allow you , in certain classes, to race a replica if you have the real thing at home. I think they should extend this to allowing competitors to race a replica , even if they don't own an original - providing it is a 'toolroom' quality replica with all the same suspension pickup points, brakes, driveline, bodylines etc etc.. Not only would this get more people who own expensive cars out there and racing, it would also get people who really wanted to race in that period but could never afford to do so on the grid.
Old 28 Apr 2022, 11:59 (Ref:4108313)   #48
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Even cooking cars are getting expensive/valuable now. I kept al the trim and interior for my car, a pile of racy bits and a std road car is probably worth more than a race car now.
Old 28 Apr 2022, 16:19 (Ref:4108334)   #49
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Approximately 20 years ago it was impossible to write off the likes of a 250GTO because a replica would cost far less to have built that the value of the lost car.
When I restored Jack Sears car, it was insured at Ten million pounds even then. Exceptional maybe, but there are many historic nudging that kind of figure.
Old 29 Apr 2022, 07:39 (Ref:4108388)   #50
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Approximately 20 years ago it was impossible to write off the likes of a 250GTO because a replica would cost far less to have built that the value of the lost car.
When I restored Jack Sears car, it was insured at Ten million pounds even then. Exceptional maybe, but there are many historic nudging that kind of figure.
If you can prove its not cloned . . . or still have 'both' cars