Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 May 2022, 15:16 (Ref:4108675)   #76
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yea i do think more of the more Modern Historic races would certainly help, when they had the Historic Group B rallying a few years back doing demos that was great to see as well.

Here's my trackside vid from Sunday if anyone interesed:

https://youtu.be/c9Rrfqsa4pE
Old 2 May 2022, 17:59 (Ref:4108689)   #77
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I'd suggest more specifically a plethora of 1960s historic racing. That particular market is saturated in the UK, IMHO. I would like to see - would pay to see - more from the 80s, 90s, 00s. There's literally decades of motorsport history which is represented only by occasional grids at events primarily centred on the same handful of iconic marques from 60 years ago.
Each to his own I guess. I can never have too much of anything pre 1979. Nothing much later than that really stirs my heart. It’s all to do with age I believe. Fully agree there are too many clubs and series chasing too little to support them all.
Old 2 May 2022, 18:13 (Ref:4108690)   #78
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Fully agree there are too many clubs and series chasing too little to support them all.
That really is my only point: the 60s stuff is awesome and also historically and culturally important in the UK, but there’s just, as you say, too many series/meetings serving the same need, hence very thin fields at the Donington Historic, an event which has never really taken off.

There is, IMO, a gap for something like Peter Auto in the UK. Getting a PA meet in the UK would be awesome, but failing that a Donington Historic focused on 1970+ would definitely bring something different to the UK calendar.
Old 2 May 2022, 18:25 (Ref:4108693)   #79
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Powell View Post
I think one of the problems is the plethora of Historic racing. This year's grids were disappointing but some of the racing was terrific. The sight and sound of the Lola was amazing, the Halusa's had a dreadful weekend and I'm sure this was the first Historic race meeting I've been to where there wasn't a Mini on track.
Maybe a revamp is needed, time to try something different perhaps but we still enjoyed our weekend's marshalling. Was it the best Historic Festival ? No Will we go back next year ? Yes.
Agreed, the increase in classic racing and classic/supercar motoring events, sees multiple promoters aiming at the same ticket buyer, entrant, car club, exhibitor and sponsor - so the pot for each will get smaller and smaller.
Old 2 May 2022, 18:42 (Ref:4108697)   #80
8en
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
8en should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Each to his own I guess. I can never have too much of anything pre 1979. Nothing much later than that really stirs my heart. It’s all to do with age I believe. Fully agree there are too many clubs and series chasing too little to support them all.
I disagree it`s to do with your age Mike.
I`m in my 30s, and much prefer watching pre 79 stuff than `modern classics` With an exception of being sat at real Le Mans with a beer.
But as you say each to their own.
Old 2 May 2022, 18:59 (Ref:4108701)   #81
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=dwh43scale;4108613]Perhaps not for the first time, the DHF has been something of a curate's egg. I guess it depends on what you are seeking from the event. If it is the broader idea of a place to drive your classic car to, chat to fellow enthusiasts against the backdrop of racing, then it probably meets your needs. If you are of a more purist nature (as I am) just wanting to see decent sized grids and good racing, it is perhaps less successful.
I fully appreciate that there are considerable challenges in setting up any public event
in the current climate and had I not had an MSV season ticket would probably have felt (from a racing perspective) a little short-changed QUOTE]
Even with a season ticket which I have also, if you live at any distance requiring accomodation it can work out quite expensive, I went 3 years ago and was somewhat disappointed at some of the grids. I'm afraid I can also make the same comments on Thruxton's attempts to stage an "historic" meeting over the last few years which have been long and drawn out affairs with mediocre entries and at £££'s cost to attend.
Old 3 May 2022, 06:51 (Ref:4108723)   #82
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=justracing;4108701]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Perhaps not for the first time, the DHF has been something of a curate's egg. I guess it depends on what you are seeking from the event. If it is the broader idea of a place to drive your classic car to, chat to fellow enthusiasts against the backdrop of racing, then it probably meets your needs. If you are of a more purist nature (as I am) just wanting to see decent sized grids and good racing, it is perhaps less successful.
I fully appreciate that there are considerable challenges in setting up any public event
in the current climate and had I not had an MSV season ticket would probably have felt (from a racing perspective) a little short-changed QUOTE]
Even with a season ticket which I have also, if you live at any distance requiring accomodation it can work out quite expensive, I went 3 years ago and was somewhat disappointed at some of the grids. I'm afraid I can also make the same comments on Thruxton's attempts to stage an "historic" meeting over the last few years which have been long and drawn out affairs with mediocre entries and at £££'s cost to attend.
That’s a little harsh. The Thruxton event has steadily got better and is now a favourite weekend for me. I would rather watch smaller grids at Thruxton where the viewing is superb than big grids at Donington or Silverstone. Thruxton is only 30 minutes away for me so I agree that makes a big difference to the cost and hassle of attending.
Old 3 May 2022, 11:22 (Ref:4108756)   #83
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Yea i do think more of the more Modern Historic races would certainly help, when they had the Historic Group B rallying a few years back doing demos that was great to see as well.

Here's my trackside vid from Sunday if anyone interesed:

https://youtu.be/c9Rrfqsa4pE

Great video, thanks. You certainly got some exercise with all those different locations
Old 3 May 2022, 15:44 (Ref:4108785)   #84
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=Mike Crow;4108723]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post

That’s a little harsh. The Thruxton event has steadily got better and is now a favourite weekend for me. I would rather watch smaller grids at Thruxton where the viewing is superb than big grids at Donington or Silverstone. Thruxton is only 30 minutes away for me so I agree that makes a big difference to the cost and hassle of attending.
Thruxton has had great weather in all but one of the events so far too!

Always fond of the venue as attended my first race meeting there as a toddler in 1979!

Personally I felt Donington had more spectators than I recall even if some grids were down.

With the HTCC & TDT, 23 entries was still pretty good, but I suspect the reason there were only half a dozen Tony Dron G1 cars was because the GMM was only a couple of weeks ago and there were some very tired (and battered) cars after that weekend!
Still, I found it a bit odd that the new series sponsor didn't enter one of his VW's!

The other aspect may well be that whilst they are a great spectacle and always great to watch, the Skylines and Cossies maybe scaring off the older GrA cars!
Although with the 'classes within the classes' arrangment there is something to play for for everyone.
Old 3 May 2022, 15:55 (Ref:4108788)   #85
JTN358AT
Rookie

JTN358AT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did the Saturday, but decided to give Sunday a miss. Despite the so so grids, the racing was good. My mistake was not to book the Starkeys parking far enough in advance. It's great that they are opening this area more. I go with my 79 year old Dad and I can't expect him to sit out in the cold. Sunday, was too cold for him. Also, the trudge, to the spectators parking is a bit long these days. I wish they would do a bit more for old folks in car viewing.
Old 3 May 2022, 18:12 (Ref:4108806)   #86
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:

Ok maybe I was a bit hasty having frozen half to death at Thruxton a couple of timesAs if to prove me wrong this year's historic looks rather interesting https://thruxtonracing.co.uk/news/16...2qm5a3lEH2Hi20. I love Thruxton and having visited the BTCC launch day I can confirm the extended viewing overlooking Noble makes for superb viewing conversely it wouldn't worry me a jot if I never visited Sillystone ever again
Old 4 May 2022, 10:11 (Ref:4108867)   #87
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=chunterer;4108785]
Quote:

The other aspect may well be that whilst they are a great spectacle and always great to watch, the Skylines and Cossies maybe scaring off the older GrA cars!
Although with the 'classes within the classes' arrangment there is something to play for for everyone.
This is a common theme, most series are varied to start with and often end up nigh on a one make series . . . . with all the interesting cars at home and uncompetitive, in some cases dangerously so others have got so fast
Old 4 May 2022, 13:49 (Ref:4108889)   #88
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
With the HTCC & TDT, 23 entries was still pretty good, but I suspect the reason there were only half a dozen Tony Dron G1 cars was because the GMM was only a couple of weeks ago and there were some very tired (and battered) cars after that weekend!
When the MM was in March it had kittle impact on the TD entires. We are only talking about a couple of weeks difference, but it may be because the TD cars are now owned mostly by the big players and they also run Group A macinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The other aspect may well be that whilst they are a great spectacle and always great to watch, the Skylines and Cossies maybe scaring off the older GrA cars! Although with the 'classes within the classes' arrangment there is something to play for for everyone.
This is the crux of it. As glorious as they are the Cossies, M3s and the Nissans have driven the earlier cars away. I know of some owners who have Group 2 and Group A cars, which were pretty quick, who just can't be bothered because they won't be successful. Whether you think this is the right attitude or not, it does have a major bearing on the grids.

I recall when this all started and whilst the Group A cars were quicker overall, us in the larger Group 1b classes could give them a run for their money through the corners.

I think this is where the HRDC are coming from, they are running a Group 1B series at their events, with a taster at Snetterton in June. Bearing in mind Julius' influence at Goodwood, I suspect this will be where most of the Gerry Marshall grids will be sourced in the future.

It's a shame because I like Motor Racing Legends as an organisation but they have to follow the money.