Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Mar 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3809719)   #26
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
But your thinking about current technology, Not the technology that is coming. 5G is coming

And we can always build more towers
Wireless delivery of internet services is the way for much of Japan and wider Asia. I've seen wi-fi speed tests done showing 1900 MBps download speeds - not bad for a mobile network.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 00:28 (Ref:3809759)   #27
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re NBN / Telstra I have both.... despite my wanting to decline (on advice from a friend in Telstra) when I got the call advising me the area was to be upgraded to NBN. I said thanks but no thanks to which they said I had no options and ADSL would no longer be available. Oh and our engineers will be at your premises in 2 weeks to do the installation.

Much activity in the street but no digging up of roads or driveway. Installation goes ahead and I am told it will take 24 hours to activate. Also not to switch anything on until I am told to. No landline no internet and no Foxtel signal. 24 hours became 3 days and still no word and no service. So I just decided to switch it on myself. It worked. For 5 days when I was sent an email to say I might have service interruptions because they had to do some upgrades. Indeed another 24 hours of no phone, 'net or Foxtel. Service resumed and I rang them to say I would like to take up my option to restore old system.... sorry not an option.

Now 6 months on I have and still get days of service interruption, although now it sometimes leaves me with Foxtel.

They did upgrade my plan for no charge to give me unlimited downloads. Yesterday I received an email to tell me I had been (no charge) upgraded to a faster evening time speed:
Quote:
we’ve upgraded your Telstra T-Bundle Connector Everyday internet speed from Standard Evening Speed (nbn tier 25) to Standard Plus Evening Speed (nbn tier 50), at no extra cost, for the life of your plan. Standard Plus Evening Speed provides typical minimum speeds of 40 Mbps between 7pm and 11pm.
I thought great. Yesterday afternoon (standard speed time) I did a speedtest. 24mbps. 8pm when my speeds were meant to have been increased I did another test. 19mbps! Under half of the expected and promised 40mbps, and slower than my standard day speed. No I was not downloading movies during my tests.

They call it progress.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 05:08 (Ref:3809787)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hang onto ADSL as long as you can, has been my advice.

Although I find it highly coincidental that within weeks of wireless NBN being implemented in my area, that an iffy 'phone line has reared it's head...
Old 22 Mar 2018, 05:54 (Ref:3809789)   #29
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Hang onto ADSL as long as you can, has been my advice.

Although I find it highly coincidental that within weeks of wireless NBN being implemented in my area, that an iffy 'phone line has reared it's head...
As I said I requested that I wanted to stay with my ADSL and was told in no uncertain terms that ADSL was to be disconnected in my area as soon as NBN was installed and that if I wanted internet it had to be NBN.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 10:54 (Ref:3809846)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i love my NBN, quicker, more data, same price
Old 22 Mar 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3809857)   #31
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
As I said I requested that I wanted to stay with my ADSL and was told in no uncertain terms that ADSL was to be disconnected in my area as soon as NBN was installed and that if I wanted internet it had to be NBN.
The current NBN offer that my ISP has put forward to me, is wireless.

They're only suggesting similar speeds up and down, though, and given how dependant on good weather it'll be, may lack stability.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3809872)   #32
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
i love my NBN, quicker, more data, same price
I like those aspects with my (wireless) NBN.... yes it is quicker than ADSL2 was, but still woeful (half of) the expected and NBN nominated actual download rate.

I also get more outages, and the fact it also usually takes out my television (Foxtel) in those outages... only 3 today, admittedly only a few minutes each time today, but they happened twice in V8 qualifying.

In reality I would prefer the slower more reliable service I got from ADSL2.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 01:41 (Ref:3810275)   #33
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Cricket Australia not happy with initial media rights bids.
The outcome could be telling for other sports such as Supercars.
For example the networks could dig deeper for Cricket and have little left for anything else.
Or the networks could tell Cricket "that's all there is" and as a result, rights fees slide back generally.
With Cricket splitting the broadcast properties into 11 sections, it could mean that if you were into Cricket and wanted to watch everything, you'd need multiple subscription products to do so.
Interesting times ahead.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3810315)   #34
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I like those aspects with my (wireless) NBN.... yes it is quicker than ADSL2 was, but still woeful (half of) the expected and NBN nominated actual download rate.

I also get more outages, and the fact it also usually takes out my television (Foxtel) in those outages... only 3 today, admittedly only a few minutes each time today, but they happened twice in V8 qualifying.

In reality I would prefer the slower more reliable service I got from ADSL2.
You know we're being fooled when you can visit a small town in Malaysia, 100km away from KL and still achieve download speeds 10x that of NBN. Malaysia for heavens sake.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 04:26 (Ref:3810316)   #35
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
You know we're being fooled when you can visit a small town in Malaysia, 100km away from KL and still achieve download speeds 10x that of NBN. Malaysia for heavens sake.
this report would disagree with you

http://www.speedtest.net/global-index
Old 24 Mar 2018, 04:54 (Ref:3810319)   #36
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
this report would disagree with you

http://www.speedtest.net/global-index
On average somewhere like Malaysia will be very low on the list given their coverage will be limited nationwide at reasonable speeds. My post was simply an observation based on what I was achieving when there.

NBN theoretical max is 100, Malaysian fibre 500.

Last edited by Ospi; 24 Mar 2018 at 05:05.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3810365)   #37
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mobile download rates are good in Australia... it is the fixed lines that are woeful and worse download speeds than the average 3rd world nation.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3810506)   #38
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
For example the networks could dig deeper for Cricket and have little left for anything else.
Or the networks could tell Cricket "that's all there is" and as a result, rights fees slide back generally.
With Cricket splitting the broadcast properties into 11 sections, it could mean that if you were into Cricket and wanted to watch everything, you'd need multiple subscription products to do so.
Interesting times ahead.
Cricket Australia might be instructed to spit in one hand and wish in another after last night's shenanigans, Australian cricket already on the nose with a lot of its fan base already, now they're clearly cheats.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3810508)   #39
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Cricket Australia might be instructed to spit in one hand and wish in another after last night's shenanigans, Australian cricket already on the nose with a lot of its fan base already, now they're clearly cheats.
Yep - that felt like a strong possibility before the cheating began. Cricket Australia is going to be severely wounded by the national team cheating - it kinda breaks down the bedrock of the "clean" approach that CA tends to take.

You'd have to think that they're on shaky ground due to image problems thanks to the stupidity of the national team.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3810510)   #40
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In between being able to hand out sledging but not be able to take it, and now this, well, they're an unlikable bunch to say the least.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 23:57 (Ref:3810529)   #41
Ospi
Veteran

Quote:
In between being able to hand out sledging but not be able to take it, and now this, well, they're an unlikable bunch to say the least.
Well, they're Aussies in sport.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 02:34 (Ref:3810544)   #42
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
An embarrassment to Australians and Australia. Not only cheating but planning to cheat by a bunch of guys who are role models to thousands of kids.
Its just not cricket.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3810733)   #43
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Winning #1, ethics .....
Old 25 Mar 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3810757)   #44
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An embarrassment to Australians and Australia. Not only cheating but planning to cheat by a bunch of guys who are role models to thousands of kids.
Its just not cricket.
Thats the bit that annoys me the most. My kid lives for cricket. Its bloody disgraceful.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3810923)   #45
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Poms and saffers have been doing it for years and both have been caught, so the mock horror is misplaced.

The sin is getting caught.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3811115)   #46
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Poms and saffers have been doing it for years and both have been caught, so the mock horror is misplaced.

The sin is getting caught.
We could point and yell Cheat in those instances
Old 27 Mar 2018, 00:25 (Ref:3811117)   #47
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Interesting times ahead.
I find it amusing that after putting your rights out to tender, you can turn around and tell the networks that you haven't offered up enough.

Surely it is the networks that determine the value of a product, not the product itself? And if you aren't being offered what you want, try and find out why, rather than just say "pay us more"
Old 27 Mar 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3811125)   #48
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I find it amusing that after putting your rights out to tender, you can turn around and tell the networks that you haven't offered up enough.

Surely it is the networks that determine the value of a product, not the product itself? And if you aren't being offered what you want, try and find out why, rather than just say "pay us more"
Yep, I agree. Maybe the nature of CA's reply to the bidders has been mis-reported but it sounds like some of the arrogance talked about in regard to the national men's team could be alive within the administration as well.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 02:26 (Ref:3811132)   #49
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know.

The TV networks are behind the ball-tampering!!

Devalue the product and get it for a steal.

They're geniuses.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 27 Mar 2018, 23:30 (Ref:3811374)   #50
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Would have been a tough sell getting those money hungry Aussie cricketers to devalue their own product.