Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 May 2022, 09:41 (Ref:4108956)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Miami Grand Prix 2022: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 5

It's a bit ramshackle, but here's a little preview.

With the United States boasting its own motorsport pedigree, legacy and traditions, for a long time F1 seemed a foreigner of sorts on its soil – an outsider taking its own circus to town, and with some fantastic and memorable events at times, but never making any major inroads into the American psyche. A big push in the country since Liberty Media got a grasp on the series, though, and it now figures as an integral part of its plans. In 2022, with Miami and Austin, Formula 1 will host two races in the USA for the first time since 1984, when the Dallas Grand Prix and Detroit Grand Prix were both run. Next year, Las Vegas will join the party to form a trio, with a race taking in its iconic Strip.

The history

Some of the earliest racing in Florida began in 1926, when the AAA (American Automobile Association) ran an event on a board track, the Fulford-Miami Speedway, which was a banked oval using wooden planks. The name was the Carl G.Fisher Trophy Race and the victor of the 300-mile event was Pete DePaolo in a Dusenberg. The circuit was destroyed in a hurricane a mere seven months later. The name of 'Grand Prix of Miami' has been attributed to this in various places on the net, but I could find no source which confirmed this to not be erroneous. The 'Grand Prix of Miami' designation was, however, used for IMSA, Grand Am and Indycar.

In Formula 1 terms, though, Florida, in fact, hosted the first United States Grand Prix to count for the championship, with the exception of the Indy 500 (which featured from 1950 to 1960), when a race was run at Sebring in 1959. Jack Brabham, Stirling Moss and the recently-departed Tony Brooks all entered the events in title contention. Moss led away off the start, while Brooks was hit by Wolfgang von Trips. Moss retired on Lap 5 with a transmission failure. There was a strange climax of the race when Brabham had some problems and waved Bruce McLaren through, who upon seeing the other Cooper slow, lifted himself, only just speeding up in time to take over first and keep the lead over Maurice Trintignant who was runner-up in his Cooper. Brooks just beat Brabham to the podium, but the Australian was drivers' champion and Cooper constructors' champions. The race was also unusual for seeing the Kurtis Kraft-Offenhauser midget of Rodger Ward take part. The event was a financial failure, though, and the promoter took the event to Riverside in California the following season.

The track

The new circuit, Miami International Autodrome, is set around the Hard Rock Stadium, home of the NFL's Miami Dolphins, and features a 5.412 km layout, with 19 turns and three DRS zones.

Turn 1 is a slow 90-degree right, before the track segues into a faster and more flowing section, with the left at 2 and long Turn 3, before drivers bring the car to the right in order to chuck it into the fast left-hander Turn 4, which is swiftly followed by the switch to 5, before 6, 7 and 8, treated as one corner bring us to the end of Sector 1. There's the potential for a number of lines here as they approach the end of this complex, perhaps hugging the inside or keeping it to the right for 8, and the risk of a lock-up as braking is completed under turning, as at Sakhir.

Now it's all fast sweepers before the big stop at Turn 11 with the 90-left and then the more curved 12 before dipping into 13. Climbing uphill into the clumsy 14 and 15 left-right chicane, drivers meet the crest and then speed downhill towards the more 90-left at 16. This takes them into Sector 3 and after a massive straight and a big stop at 17, the quicker 18 and 19 vault them back onto the start-finish straight.

Other information

Circuit length: 5.412 km
Number of laps: 57
Race distance: 308.326 km
Race lap record: n/a
Dry weather tyre compounds: C2, C3 & C4
First Miami Grand Prix: 2022

Join in the fun with the Predictions Contest and Fantasy F1:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157099

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156986

Trivia

The US is the country with the highest number of venues of Formula 1 races, with eleven – Indianapolis (both in its Indy 500 guise and later with the infield track), Sebring, Riverside, Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix, Austin and now Miami.

These eleven venues have taken in ten different states, with only Miami seeing a return to the same state – Florida – which previously hosted the Sebring race.

The top speed should be around 320 km/h, just shy of Jeddah.

All four of Charles Leclerc's wins have come from pole.

In Emilia-Romagna, Aston Martin became the final team to score a point this season, albeit with both their drivers. The only drivers apart from Hülkenberg yet to get off the mark are Nicholas Latifi and Mick Schumacher, the latter of which has not scored in his Formula 1 career.
Old 5 May 2022, 10:59 (Ref:4108959)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fantastic intro. Especially for a circuit that has no history.

And no mention of the fake marina? You are too kind. I can understand what they are doing with the fake marina, but I think in the end, it will at times be the focus for the media vs other positive things. I personally think its absolutely ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVLblCHFahs

Richard
Old 5 May 2022, 11:08 (Ref:4108961)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Fantastic intro. Especially for a circuit that has no history.

And no mention of the fake marina? You are too kind. I can understand what they are doing with the fake marina, but I think in the end, it will at times be the focus for the media vs other positive things. I personally think its absolutely ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVLblCHFahs

Richard
Haven't you heard? BTCC are copying and having a marina installed on the inside of paddock hill bend ahead of the next meeting. They're going one better though - the marina is on a 1 in 5 incline....
Old 5 May 2022, 12:00 (Ref:4108963)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Haven't you heard? BTCC are copying and having a marina installed on the inside of paddock hill bend ahead of the next meeting. They're going one better though - the marina is on a 1 in 5 incline....
Well in fairness most marinas have that kinda slope (underwater) so.....

Hopefully the drainage for the parking lot works, looks to be a bit Miami for Saturday and more so for Sunday. It's summer so expect rain in the afternoon and when it rains it all falls at once, they don't do light showers
Old 5 May 2022, 12:11 (Ref:4108965)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Hopefully the drainage for the parking lot works, looks to be a bit Miami for Saturday and more so for Sunday. It's summer so expect rain in the afternoon and when it rains it all falls at once, they don't do light showers
Are thunderstorms likely to be a concern - with more than just the rain implications?
Old 5 May 2022, 12:16 (Ref:4108966)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Make it a water slide and charge the spectators a fee for giving it a go!

Richard
Old 5 May 2022, 13:13 (Ref:4108977)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Are thunderstorms likely to be a concern - with more than just the rain implications?
I would guess a bit of both, Florida has VERY strict lightning regulations and would require the GP to meet those. See the Sebring WEC race this year, it's also a VERY wide band from where strikes hit that the regs kick in because Florida is FLATTTTT. I've seen forecasts of storms to showers so we'll see but again, it's Miami in the summer, it rains
Old 5 May 2022, 14:37 (Ref:4108982)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It's a bit ramshackle, but here's a little preview.
Nicely done, sir.

Quote:
Florida – which previously hosted the Sebring race.
Can you imagine the porpoising on the Sebring bumps?
Old 5 May 2022, 15:59 (Ref:4108985)   #9
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
For those of us in UK without Sky or the Now package, qualy is on C4 at 8.30 am Sunday, and the race at 12.30 am Monday. Not too bad for night owls like me, but if you are a wage slave, good luck avoiding any news/discussion of the result before you get back from work Monday evening to watch it on catch-up
Old 5 May 2022, 22:19 (Ref:4109006)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Well done on the intro BR - nice work for a new race venue.

Was the Sebring race the one where Jack Brabham had to push his car across the finish line? Them was the days!

Personally I quite like the "marina" at this circuit - it's a bit of fun and will certainly assist with a fun, party atmosphere for those attending. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
Old 5 May 2022, 23:25 (Ref:4109009)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Well done on the intro BR - nice work for a new race venue.

Was the Sebring race the one where Jack Brabham had to push his car across the finish line? Them was the days!

Personally I quite like the "marina" at this circuit - it's a bit of fun and will certainly assist with a fun, party atmosphere for those attending. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
well good news, there's a "beach" too along the track so there's more
Old 6 May 2022, 00:39 (Ref:4109013)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Prediction for pole position & the race win....

Sonny Crockett, Ferrari Testarossa...

"'Cause you belong to the city... you belong to the night... living in a river of darkness beneath the neon light..." - Glenn Frey
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 May 2022, 02:04 (Ref:4109015)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Prediction for pole position & the race win....

Sonny Crockett, Ferrari Testarossa...

"'Cause you belong to the city... you belong to the night... living in a river of darkness beneath the neon light..." - Glenn Frey
You know it would be a classic Miami Vice episode that if during the GP race, they ended up chasing some drug dealer onto the track in cars and they would be passing the F1 cars in that Testarossa during the chase. Probably would take the checkered flag and Sonny would joke that he won the race.

Richard
Old 6 May 2022, 02:08 (Ref:4109016)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

I was joking but they had an episode that was nearly that. But it was with GTP cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSa496URPdk

Richard
Old 6 May 2022, 02:50 (Ref:4109017)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Miami Vice hard at work in the pit lane. Maybe they need Crockett and Tubbs this weekend to chase down drivers and police the jewellery and underwear requirements?
Old 6 May 2022, 05:56 (Ref:4109023)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I was joking but they had an episode that was nearly that. But it was with GTP cars!

Richard
They sure did... and I agree, a 'Driven'-style race round the streets of Miami without helmets on the drivers could be fun..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 May 2022, 06:54 (Ref:4109026)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
For those of us in UK without Sky or the Now package, qualy is on C4 at 8.30 am Sunday, and the race at 12.30 am Monday. Not too bad for night owls like me, but if you are a wage slave, good luck avoiding any news/discussion of the result before you get back from work Monday evening to watch it on catch-up
Thanks for this. I usually record both programmes and watch them (early) the following morning anyway. Looks like I'm going to have a lie-in on Sunday and still watch qualy live (which will mean not being able to fast-forward the adverts & other dross!)
Old 6 May 2022, 08:11 (Ref:4109033)   #18
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Live qualy for this race is showing up on my TV package on one of the "free" sky channels, so maybe worth checking your own setup. The race is normal, in that it is ch4 hilights.
Old 6 May 2022, 08:22 (Ref:4109034)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I did wonder if we were gonna get some Miami Vice references on here and I was right. To get us really in the mood this weekend, let's listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UmOY6ek_Y4
Old 6 May 2022, 09:03 (Ref:4109040)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
For UK viewers with Sky.

Sat 7th May:
Qualifying is on Sky Showcase from 8:15pm (Session starts 9pm).

Sun 9th May:
Qualifying highlights on Ch4 from 8:30am.
Qualifying highlights on Sky Showcase from 9:15am.

Monday 10th May:
Race highlights on Ch4 from 00:30am to 02:00am.
Race highlights on Sky Showcase from 00:30am to 01:30am.
Old 6 May 2022, 10:41 (Ref:4109046)   #21
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I did wonder if we were gonna get some Miami Vice references on here and I was right. To get us really in the mood this weekend, let's listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UmOY6ek_Y4
Nice. I hope they sneak some Jan Hammer into the broadcast this weekend.

Richard
Old 6 May 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4109055)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
That was fantastic! Love the Derek Bell cameo too!
Old 6 May 2022, 14:46 (Ref:4109062)   #23
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That was fantastic! Love the Derek Bell cameo too!
Yes, I saw that. Very cool. That would have been filmed during the period in which I think he and Al Hobert would have been racing that Lowenbrau 962 in IMSA. It may not be obvious to all here, but the "Danny" character is played by "Danny Sullivan". Ex-F1 racer, Indy 500 winner, CART champion and semi-recent F1 steward. Danny was in a recent "Beyond the Grid" podcast and it was very interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBz7-G4zY4E

Richard
Old 6 May 2022, 15:50 (Ref:4109063)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent intro as ever.

There seems to be some concern about the pit entry chicane.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...ging/10297204/
Old 6 May 2022, 19:24 (Ref:4109082)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Good news, the Miami GP is in all the news here in Atlanta. And every paper/news outlet had a story.

Oh wait, just seeing they're ALL about Lewis/FIA/jewelery and zero about the race. Everyone seems to think the Lewis threatening to skip is THE story but no mention of the actual race. Guess any coverage is good?

Seems like an odd time to choose, I get them enforcing a rule that's been on the books. But choose the start of the season or returning from the summer break, that's a natural reset point. But I'm old fat white guy and think it's all garbage on both sides, lol foolish wearing it racing in a sport where engineers whinge about grams, and FIA looks like old farts worrying about it. Hopefully better minds prevail and rule enforced with allowances made for things like closed loop or other non-removable bits