Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 May 2022, 21:27 (Ref:4109611)   #101
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For me, the race was okay. I quite enjoyed the track layout itself, but it's a pity there wasn't more non-DRS racing. I have no issue with the razzmatazz - mermaids and fake marinas and so on. I mainly focus on the racing itself, but DRS is becoming a bit of a bee in my bonnet and I'm wondering increasingly how it can be compatible with new regulations in which the cars should be able to follow (and therefore overtake) in a natural way.

Agree that Sainz's situation is concerning. It's difficult to reverse the trend of being a number 2-performing driver in a potentially championship-winning team. I'm trying to remember if it's happened before where a driver has been subservient and then ended up getting the upper hand in a future season. Someone like Coulthard always slipped into a backing role, even if he was not overtly always supporting Hakkinen.
Old 10 May 2022, 21:38 (Ref:4109613)   #102
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
No there aren't very many.
DC did in 2001 and arguably Harry Heinz in '98 (after a disastrous '97) against JV.
One might well argue tham Massa did in 2008?
Old 11 May 2022, 00:18 (Ref:4109623)   #103
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's the NY Post so trashy paper but they have been pushing the race a lot

https://nypost.com/2022/05/10/miami-...l-of-f1-races/
Old 11 May 2022, 04:30 (Ref:4109628)   #104
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
No there aren't very many.
DC did in 2001 and arguably Harry Heinz in '98 (after a disastrous '97) against JV.
One might well argue tham Massa did in 2008?
Yes, true. I wonder in DC's case how much he prompted Hakkinen's retirement or how much Mike was waning of his own accord anyway. Frentzen, of course, didn't have a championship-contending car in 1998, although he really pulled his socks up in the 1999 Jordan (and again, Hill was all at sea).
Old 11 May 2022, 08:46 (Ref:4109639)   #105
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

Agree that Sainz's situation is concerning. It's difficult to reverse the trend of being a number 2-performing driver in a potentially championship-winning team. I'm trying to remember if it's happened before where a driver has been subservient and then ended up getting the upper hand in a future season. Someone like Coulthard always slipped into a backing role, even if he was not overtly always supporting Hakkinen.
As you well know (), I still believe that Sainz can beat Lerclerc, but Charles has got a big jump on him and clearly is able to get more speed out of the car than Carlos. If he doesn't beat Charles in the next couple of races that will effectively seal his #2 status for the season and if Charles goes on to win the WDC (something I'd be delighted to witness), it would obviously make his position weaker for the future.
Old 11 May 2022, 09:05 (Ref:4109641)   #106
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I do indeed. I'm also prepared to venture that Sainz could have the beating if Leclerc if he can get on top of things. He doesn't look at all satisfied with results at the moment and good on him for that. He is a canny racer and he was fantastic against one Max Verstapppen. I hope it goes well for him and I will be lining up to congratulate him if it does.
Old 11 May 2022, 09:15 (Ref:4109644)   #107
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Sainz will eventually beat Leclerc, but I feel Leclerc will still have his days. Sainz is a very capable driver, so he will get there. He is not to be underestimated and is a great character. Just needs to get the car where he wants it, which I'm sure he will
Old 13 May 2022, 03:48 (Ref:4109785)   #108
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
According to the man himself, he has some metal work on an unmentionable part of his anatomy. Would probably need a special tool to remove it!!

When I was racing (1980s CART) we called the required tool the death wheel. 1/16" cut off wheel in an air die grinder, will cut through most anything on a race car or driver. Main use was to cut slots in skid plate screws that had been installed with hex bits but couldn't be removed with same after a couple of on track sessions. Never tried one on platinum but I am up for the challenge.
Old 13 May 2022, 04:01 (Ref:4109787)   #109
mstets
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I dislike it myself and am averse to it but I do recognize his argument as having some validity.
His metalwork is platinum and is therefore not a good conductor of heat so in a fire he is less likely to be suffering adverse reactions in the way that other metals would. Platinum is a good conductor of electrical energy.

If the argument is predicated by Bahrain incident perhaps the FIA should concentrate of the track safety issues that had the barrier where it was and the way it parted and allowed the Haas to travel through it.

If Hamilton is prepared to sign a waiver to take responsibility for wearing it then he should be allowed to.

The regulation is stupid because it goes too far.
If the underwear is a consideration perhaps they should supply every driver with race sets of what they consider appropriate mandated underwear and issue them with the license at the beginning of the year.

I have no idea how waivers work outside the USA but my understanding is that here they are basically useless as a defense against liability lawsuits if the plaintiff has the money to pursue a claim. Competitors in everything from amateur cycling races to professional motorsports races sign them but that won't stop lawyers from bringing claims to court and sometimes winning.
Old 13 May 2022, 04:53 (Ref:4109788)   #110
mstets
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Willie T Ribbs finally getting some racing due was nice, better than the twit they started the show with.

Generally race was garbage as expected, track was nothing like originally e

Does Willy have medical issues? I would not have recognized him as the same guy who won 5 of 12 rounds of the Trans Am series in 1983, narrowly losing the championship to team mate David Hobbs. His questioning of the podium winners seemed really slow, not typical of the guy I remember. I think of him as a talented guy who never got with the right team at the right time. He was quick enough to win the pole at Long Beach in an Atlantic car and was super competitive in Trans Am. I hope he is OK and my concern is not warranted.
Old 13 May 2022, 12:53 (Ref:4109814)   #111
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Does Willy have medical issues? I would not have recognized him as the same guy who won 5 of 12 rounds of the Trans Am series in 1983, narrowly losing the championship to team mate David Hobbs. His questioning of the podium winners seemed really slow, not typical of the guy I remember. I think of him as a talented guy who never got with the right team at the right time. He was quick enough to win the pole at Long Beach in an Atlantic car and was super competitive in Trans Am. I hope he is OK and my concern is not warranted.
I went and looked at a few interviews from back in the day. He seems at times to have a slow speaking cadence. There is a video of him talking diversity with Sky in Miami and he seems a bit slower, but pretty much like he was years ago. I think for the podium it was maybe just nerves plus I just don't think he is a natural at being on the other side of the microphone.

While it might be fun, who know what it's like to be up on the podium doing the interview. I am sure I would look awkward!

Richard